David Foul-er

HeliX

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The whole thing is a nightmare. I’ve taken pictures of grandchildren playing football, and have people looking at me like I’m some sort of pervert.

So you try and do it surreptitiously, and that just makes it look worse.

Kids playing football for Gods sake.

Reminded me of this post, from Topaz, (a much missed stalwart of Manx Forums (yes, 2009):

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s the copine scale the police, prosecution and courts work to hear. Heavens knows why. The press reporting is accurate.

See above.

But the press report is not accurate. It says:

They have been assessed under the Copine scale which measures severity from one to five, with five being the most severe.

47 of the images were at level one, with one at level two.

The COPINE scale is 1-10, the SAP scale is 1-5. So it is still not clear which is used.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

They have been assessed under the Copine scale which measures severity from one to five, with five being the most severe.

The COPINE scale is 1-10, the SAP scale is 1-5. So it is still not clear which is used.

Which report is that?  The originally quoted report does not say that. 

Just now, littlebushy said:

I’m pretty clear it’s the IoM very own version of Copine, which is actually SAP.

why police, prosecution and courts describe it as Copine I don’t know.

Copine isn’t suitable for forensic criminal/court use. SAP is now outdated.

However, as long as it’s used consistently within the Island system, it’s not too important as it means, for sentencing they compare like with like. 

Of course that makes jurisdictional comparison impossible.

Its exactly the same principle for drugs sentencing, where the police, prosecution and courts use an overstated  “street” value. It’s fine for IoM internal ( as long as values don’t change - they do - but makes jurisdictional comparison and meaningful use of sentencing guidelines produced with judicial and academic rigour, rather than suck it and see knee jerk, impossible.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s the copine scale the police, prosecution and courts work to hear. Heavens knows why. The press reporting is accurate.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m pretty clear it’s the IoM very own version of Copine, which is actually SAP.

why police, prosecution and courts describe it as Copine I don’t know.

Copine isn’t suitable for forensic criminal/court use. SAP is now outdated.

However, as long as it’s used consistently within the Island system, it’s not too important as it means, for sentencing they compare like with like. 

Of course that makes jurisdictional comparison impossible.

Its exactly the same principle for drugs sentencing, where the police, prosecution and courts use an overstated  “street” value. It’s fine for IoM internal ( as long as values don’t change - they do - but makes jurisdictional comparison and meaningful use of sentencing guidelines produced with judicial and academic rigour, rather than suck it and see knee jerk, impossible.

image.png.19648b9ee8ab5fc5c1c78d4bfa621d86.pngimage.png.19648b9ee8ab5fc5c1c78d4bfa621d86.pngI'm just a layman but you appear to have contradicted yourself, argued the contradictory point till it is valid, and asserted it as fact. I'm no career advisor but you should consider a career in the legal field 😆

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, littlebushy said:

image.png.19648b9ee8ab5fc5c1c78d4bfa621d86.pngimage.png.19648b9ee8ab5fc5c1c78d4bfa621d86.pngI'm just a layman but you appear to have contradicted yourself, argued the contradictory point till it is valid, and asserted it as fact. I'm no career advisor but you should consider a career in the legal field 😆

He'll be along with a third version in a minute which somehow proves that both previous arguments were correct, then send you a bill for it.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, littlebushy said:

To be fair to John I think what he was saying originally was that the courts want to hear (or the prosecutors want to use) the word "COPINE", even if it is incorrect and they're talking about something else.  Which doesn't say much for a profession supposedly dedicated to precision and clarity, but there you are.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...