Armed police dealing with incident around Railway Station, North Quay roads closed

ADELE

1 hour ago, WTF said:

many countries have armed officers as the norm, no big deal unless they're fat.

It’s not OK, the police seem to think they need guns to deal with the most minor of situations which is total madness. The only time they need to be out with guns is when there is someone toting a gun, not all this dressing up and waving rifles around like action heroes at the drop of a hat.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, 2bees said:

It’s not OK, the police seem to think they need guns to deal with the most minor of situations which is total madness. The only time they need to be out with guns is when there is someone toting a gun, not all this dressing up and waving rifles around like action heroes at the drop of a hat.

there are plenty of dead officers that would be alive today if they were carrying a gun at the time of carrying out their duties.  guns are just tools , like stab vests , hand cuffs, truncheons/batons , helmets , shields , pava , tasers  most  of which SHOULD only get used when necessary, sadly some coppers have egos that make them think they are the law all judge dredd like , they shouldn't be coppers but some get through the net and stain the rest. 

Edited by WTF
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I'm not a betting man, but under a new CC I expect that at some point in the not too distant future, a regularly rolling ARV will be out. The delays on an old style call out have been indefensible for years and we are lucky we've got away with it.

Derek Flint was a fairly senior officer, and I assume he presumably has views that are representative of the police force.

The idea that it is necessary to have Armed Response Vehicles roaming the streets of the Isle of Man is absolutely bizarre. There are people who fantasise about weapons, and it seems there are a few in the police forces.

There are still two questions I have about the Peel school event:

1. Who were they going to shoot

2. How did they determine there was no bomb

• Like 2

At one time I'd have had no qualms about arming our police with handguns, I had confidence that they were decent sensible people. Not today, there seems to be an element of idiocy running through the force and it wouldn't take much for one of them to go off the rails at the wrong person. 

Maybe I'm being harsh, my grandfathers and great grandfathers on both sides were cops, one side in NI. My dad on the other hand never trusted the police, maybe he knew too much?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Derek Flint was a fairly senior officer, and I assume he presumably has views that are representative of the police force.

The idea that it is necessary to have Armed Response Vehicles roaming the streets of the Isle of Man is absolutely bizarre. There are people who fantasise about weapons, and it seems there are a few in the police forces.

There are still two questions I have about the Peel school event:

1. Who were they going to shoot

2. How did they determine there was no bomb

1 ;  anybody with a gun or detonator 

2 ;   they didn't find one

20 minutes ago, Max Power said:

At one time I'd have had no qualms about arming our police with handguns, I had confidence that they were decent sensible people. Not today, there seems to be an element of idiocy running through the force and it wouldn't take much for one of them to go off the rails at the wrong person. 

Maybe I'm being harsh, my grandfathers and great grandfathers on both sides were cops, one side in NI. My dad on the other hand never trusted the police, maybe he knew too much?

Any examples of this ‘idiocy’ and supporting evidence of coppers ‘about to go off the rails’? Not suggesting you’re wrong but would be useful to know why you think that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Any examples of this ‘idiocy’ and supporting evidence of coppers ‘about to go off the rails’? Not suggesting you’re wrong but would be useful to know why you think that. 

When you see how some handle themselves in stressed situations it becomes clear that putting a gun into the mix wouldn’t end well.

I’m not tarring all with the same brush but even over here I’ve seen over reactions lead to an escalation of a situation rather than it being calmed down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Can't blame the police for going in 'loaded for bear' to the Pulrose incident though. The name's out there. When we can all talk about this there are a lot of questions that need answering and one or two people who should be looking for another job.

The Police arriving 'tooled up' to meet Donovan Scumbag Perpetual Offender getting a bit knifey is 100% acceptable. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The Police arriving 'tooled up' to meet Donovan Scumbag Perpetual Offender getting a bit knifey is 100% acceptable. 

I completely agree, the police shouldn't have to enter a situation at a disadvantage. They have families and shouldn't have to go to work thinking some lunatic will end their life if they are not careful. Perhaps we need a two tier police force, the friendly Bobbies and the Bastards who command fear and respect? 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

to me that would be a shoot first ask questions later scenario.  and i'd have no idea why my body cam wasn't working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2