Armed police dealing with incident around Railway Station, North Quay roads closed

ADELE

5 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

More likely bumping into a dog you had Tasered.

Just on a theme here, but I think people who allow their dog to defecate in the street without picking it up should be tazered. Simple as that. 

There'd be no more dog faeces in the street then.

Oh, and if anyone thinks that sounds a bit severe, the pain of a tazer is "brief and momentary"

Edited by Barlow

If you've had 'armed response' training, why wouldn't you put that into operation in an arising situation??? If it turns out that the 'perp' was not armed, then who would have that information? The Police, without a trial, they can release whatever info they desire????

27 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If you've had 'armed response' training, why wouldn't you put that into operation in an arising situation??? If it turns out that the 'perp' was not armed, then who would have that information? The Police, without a trial, they can release whatever info they desire????

Well therein lies the problem. When you're really excited to use your new hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The police need to be careful that they're not overdoing it. They're not the SAS and they shouldn't be scaring little old ladies carrying their shopping from Tesco's up North Quay. 

17 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

I don’t think the SAS do that. 

I'm not so sure. The Salvation Army Specials platoon are quite fearsome

13 hours ago, HeliX said:

Well therein lies the problem. When you're really excited to use your new hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Just for a giggle - why not FOI how many non-armed response officers are dispatched daily/weekly/monthly to incidents compared to armed response. You may find out that the hammer stays in the shed 99% of the time… 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Just for a giggle - why not FOI how many non-armed response officers are dispatched daily/weekly/monthly to incidents compared to armed response. You may find out that the hammer stays in the shed 99% of the time… 

The % against total calls isn't very relevant. The % of times they were deployed inappropriately is.

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The % against total calls isn't very relevant. The % of times they were deployed inappropriately is.

Do we know anything about this case which would indicate that an armed response was inappropriate?   There must be protocols which determine when an armed response should be mounted.  

As it happens, it would seem that this matter was dealt with without any mishap or injury to anyone, so I don't know what the  issue is really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do we know anything about this case which would indicate that an armed response was inappropriate?   There must be protocols which determine when an armed response should be mounted.  

As it happens, it would seem that this matter was dealt with without any mishap or injury to anyone, so I don't know what the  issue is really. 

Well the issue is that someone having a mental health crisis is unlikely to have their condition improved by a bunch of thugs with guns turning up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Well the issue is that someone having a mental health crisis is unlikely to have their condition improved by a bunch of thugs with guns turning up.

Was it a bunch of thugs? Don't they have someone with crisis negotiation skills as part of the team?  

Who knows what threat the person was to other people?  Raoul Moat could be said to have been having a mental health crisis.  Was the police response to him OTT? 

Unless we hear otherwise, I think we have to accept that the response was deemed appropriate, but in the event the situation was resolved without resorting to fire power.

The police were not there to improve the person's mental condition, but protect the public and the person themselves.  There would be different complaints if the person hurt themselves or anyone else.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Is that bigger than the risk that someone with mental health issues (or not) that has a knife or axe or other weapon and is intent on doing harm, kills or injures a member of the public, themselves or unarmed police - or should we accept that as acceptable and never deploy armed police. Or perhaps only deploy them after the first death or confirmed serious injury?  To be clear I have absolutely no idea what happened at this incident, or why they were deployed in this particular case. 

• Like 2