Armed police dealing with incident around Railway Station, North Quay roads closed

ADELE

You can't have cops running round with automatic weapons on public streets unless it's operationally necessary and can be justified in review. Firearms deployment in the U.K. is strictly controlled. But I'm not having a pop at the police here. We don't know the circumstances of this case and probably never will. The IOM police are not inclined to share information and they don't have to. Nor do they have to answer to any independent authority or commission. It's long been an issue for policing and accountability on the IOM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

And yet 73% of US police will never discharge a weapon on duty. And those that do it's usually to shoot a sleeping black woman or similar. But our cops totally need to turn up to incidents with a dozen rifles to a mental health incident on an Island with a miniscule violent crime rate.

Yet you sound like you could be in the 1% that has that gun/ weapon judging by your rabid hate of Law and Order enforcers.....

Which makes the totally OTT turnout necessary on a little island.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

As for being thugs considering nobody has been shot in the Isle of Man by the police suggests they might actually be decent at their job and know what their doing.

If we're making stupid arguments then considering nobody has been shot in the Isle of Man by the police then you could say that theyre (the guns) are clearly not needed

25 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

We don't know the circumstances of this case and probably never will

But we do know the circumstances of the Peel school bomb threat - someone using the name of a Transylvanian (or something) swimmer had sent a bomb threat to the Manchester Evening News.

Is that a reason for the police turning up carrying automatic rifles and wearing balaclavas?

Who were they going to shoot?

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

And yet 73% of US police will never discharge a weapon on duty. And those that do it's usually to shoot a sleeping black woman or similar.

Oh sleeping black women?  I couldn't get moved in the USA for sleeping black women. The hills were alive with the sound of sleeping black women. A complete nuisance they were and I for one was glad of the sleeping black women cull of yesteryear.  Now when I travel to the USA I can walk across of a  carpet of sleeping white women quite merrily,safe in the knowledge I won't be accused of oppression and causing offence, with the added benefit of picking up a cheap draft excluder from any park bench I choose. It's a bugger when they wake up though,the draughts they leave behind are quite biting.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

But we do know the circumstances of the Peel school bomb threat - someone using the name of a Transylvanian (or something) swimmer had sent a bomb threat to the Manchester Evening News.

Is that a reason for the police turning up carrying automatic rifles and wearing balaclavas?

Who were they going to shoot?

are we allowed to nominate people?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, display name said:

Oh sleeping black women?  I couldn't get moved in the USA for sleeping black women. The hills were alive with the sound of sleeping black women. A complete nuisance they were and I for one was glad of the sleeping black women cull of yesteryear.  Now when I travel to the USA I can walk across of a  carpet of sleeping white women quite merrily,safe in the knowledge I won't be accused of oppression and causing offence, with the added benefit of picking up a cheap draft excluder from any park bench I choose. It's a bugger when they wake up though,the draughts they leave behind are quite biting.

that must be some good shit.........................................................

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

If we're making stupid arguments then considering nobody has been shot in the Isle of Man by the police then you could say that theyre (the guns) are clearly not needed

Or you could argue that deploying armed police has ensured no un-armed police officers have been killed or seriously injured by an armed individual- and the deterrence effect of armed police arriving at an incident has defused the situation appropriately. Further- clearly they are well trained and disciplined as they haven’t had to fire off a round, which is obviously always a last resort. But if you’re a police hater you won’t care about any of this. I do chuckle - police haters are very vocal until they’ve been a victim of crime, then the expect the police on their doorstep immediately and need them to do all the things they moan about they do (solve crime).

13 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Or you could argue that deploying armed police has ensured no un-armed police officers have been killed or seriously injured by an armed individual- and the deterrence effect of armed police arriving at an incident has defused the situation appropriately. Further- clearly they are well trained and disciplined as they haven’t had to fire off a round, which is obviously always a last resort. But if you’re a police hater you won’t care about any of this. I do chuckle - police haters are very vocal until they’ve been a victim of crime, then the expect the police on their doorstep immediately and need them to do all the things they moan about they do (solve crime).

Happy to see we're still making stupid arguments.