Armed police dealing with incident around Railway Station, North Quay roads closed

ADELE

6 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

So that’s a “no”, then - or were your previous comments referring to England, rather than IOM?

My comments were referring to "the police". But the Isle of Man's crime solve rate will not be orders of magnitude better than the UK's. The police are shit at solving crime worldwide. We are no different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

But the Isle of Man's crime solve rate will not be orders of magnitude better than the UK's

Well, obviously - since two orders (plural) of magnitude greater than 5.7% would be 570%.   Tall order, in anyone’s book - or were you not working in base 10?

Edited by Jarndyce
One word addition for clarity

20 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Well, obviously - since two orders of magnitude greater than 5.7% would be 570%.   Tall order, in anyone’s book - or were you not working in base 10?

One order of magnitude would be nice. But it'll be nowhere near that.

6 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Got any relevant figures for the IOM or shall we also look at those from the likes of Nigeria, Australia and the USA which would be equally irrelevant? 😉

The UKs rate will not be drastically dissimilar to ours. We follow almost identical laws and processes, and share a fair number of criminals too.

But yes, "equally" irrelevant to countries that bare absolutely no resemblance to our systems.

1 hour ago, Steve_Christian said:

Or you could argue that deploying armed police has ensured no un-armed police officers have been killed or seriously injured by an armed individual- and the deterrence effect of armed police arriving at an incident has defused the situation appropriately. Further- clearly they are well trained and disciplined as they haven’t had to fire off a round, which is obviously always a last resort.

I'm not sure "We haven't killed anyone yet" is always the most convincing argument.  Every armed deployment will carry its own risks (even if those are low) and costs (which may not be).  Accidents do happen and the more such deployments there are, the more likely it is that one will.

What is worrying is there seems to be an increase in the number of these where it's difficult to see there was justification.  There was another one "to respond to a person in crisis" in Ramsey in January.  And of course the ridiculous behaviour at QE2 where an anonymous off-Island bomb threat was somehow deemed to be best dealt with by armed response.

It looks like the Isle of Man Constabulary can only cope with any potential crisis in one, usually unsuitable, way.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

where an anonymous off-Island bomb threat was somehow deemed to be best dealt with by armed response.

Considered serious enough for the balaclavas and automatic rifles. But.... who went looking for the bomb? If they were that sure of the seriousness I would have expected a search to be made by a sniffer dog (by itself) or remote robot camera or some person in a bomb-proof suit. And when they did not find anything the first time round I would have told them to go and look again.

I doubt that happened.

I wonder if they have a procedure for the balaclavas. They must put them on at SWAT HQ then get in a van with blacked-out windows, and can only remove them when they back to HQ. Or can they take them off as soon as the sniffer dogs go in? We need to know this - unless it is knowledge that would aid terrorists.

This thread is hilarious - full of ill informed nonsense. Walk a mile in a person’s shoes… I don’t think you realise how few police there are, what they have to deal with every shift and the risks they face - yes even on our little island, as they deal with the 1% that seek to break the law and do harm. You all will be the first to dial 999 if you’re assaulted or threatened, or robbed - so I’m out (Mike drop) as I can’t stop laughing at the nonsense posted 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Christian said:

This thread is hilarious - full of ill informed nonsense. Walk a mile in a person’s shoes… I don’t think you realise how few police there are, what they have to deal with every shift and the risks they face - yes even on our little island, as they deal with the 1% that seek to break the law and do harm. You all will be the first to dial 999 if you’re assaulted or threatened, or robbed - so I’m out (Mike drop) as I can’t stop laughing at the nonsense posted 😂

Even in the big bad USA where the criminals often have guns, being a police officer is safer than being a delivery driver. Spare me the sob story, "risks they face". Farce.

There'd be fuck all point dialing 999 unless I needed someone to turn up after the crime, punch my wife, and fail to solve who did it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1