A level results (or not)

cheesypeas

Old people have been claiming that exams have been getting easier for 50 odd years. They sadly just don't want to come to terms with the fact that they were all poisoned by lead-based fuels and paints, and came out fucking stupid as a result. Sad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Old people have been claiming that exams have been getting easier for 50 odd years. They sadly just don't want to come to terms with the fact that they were all poisoned by lead-based fuels and paints, and came out fucking stupid as a result. Sad.

Well the other angle is that back in the day, schools provided a well rounded general education.  As time and the importance of exams has progressed, they become more of a processing centre, aimed mainly at preparation for and succeeding in exams only. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Speak for yourself! 😁

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well the other angle is that back in the day, schools provided a well rounded general education.  As time and the importance of exams has progressed, they become more of a processing centre, aimed mainly at preparation for and succeeding in exams only. 

The availability of study resources, and information in general, in the last 20 years outstrips what came before by orders of magnitude. So it's probably that.

And the lack of lead poisoning.

I don't know how people can say exams are easier, have they sat a GCSE or A level recently?

One thing that is easily forgotten is you continually pick up knowledge through life, you just don't realise it.  So you could look at an exam paper and think that's a doddle, but how much of it is because you have had a longer life learning experience? 

• Like 4

I’m only here because I was mentioned in despatches…my craft O’ Levels disqualify me from having any expertise in education issues. But what’s the problem with getting results early. Why is there an embargo? Does it give some an advantage in applying to colleges?

5 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I’m only here because I was mentioned in despatches…my craft O’ Levels disqualify me from having any expertise in education issues. But what’s the problem with getting results early. Why is there an embargo? Does it give some an advantage in applying to colleges?

I suppose for no other reason then to make sure everyone gets their results at the same time.  Unless you got the results many days or weeks ahead of others, I can't see any issue with uni applications, but others may have a better insight. 

It is not like posting the names and addresses of members of a police force in a place that has been riven by sectarian violence for decades though, is it? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I suppose for no other reason then to make sure everyone gets their results at the same time.  Unless you got the results many days or weeks ahead of others, I can't see any issue with uni applications, but others may have a better insight. 

It is not like posting the names and addresses of members of a police force in a place that has been riven by sectarian violence for decades though, is it? 

Yup.  If anything it would give the students a little bit of benefit getting the results a day early rather than on time. 

13 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When you say you are going to do something for a lot of people on a certain day at a certain time then that is what you should do.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nellie said:

When are we going to see people lose their jobs

A low-level admin person didn’t set up the email correctly and you’re wanting them to be sacked. I’m sure you’ve never  made a minor mistake.

It didn’t give anyone an advantage because the clearing lines don’t open until the embargo’s lifted.

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I wondered that.  Presumably if a Uni gets some results ahead of time, they would query it? 

The universities get the results earlier than students anyway, to allow their admissions teams to know how many applicants made the cut and how many did not. It’s always panic stations when more students than expected made the grade.

All that’s happened here is some school admin intended to set an email to send at 10am and set it up wrong so they got it a day early. The students can’t do anything with the knowledge, but those with good marks will have slept more soundly.

Edited by Ringy Rose

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

The only marginal advantage I can see is that someone who got worse results than they need will have had an extra 24 hours to plan alternatives.  But as pointed out above they couldn't do anything (not least because they might still get accepted by their first choice).  

26 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The comments on Facebook are hilarious, some people got their results a day early, the way some are going on you'd think private info relating to some god awful disease had been leaked about them. As a society we're really beginning to lose all perspective 

It's with anything. Refer to the recent Gef piece on the Islanders fury about not going on the boat; then being allowed on the boat. Everyone seems angry at everything nowadays.

• Like 2