Prostate cancer

Lilly

Shall we talk about prostate cancer.  

A new screening using MRI has been successfully trailed which is more accurate for diagnosis.  It's being suggested today this should be part of a screening program 

It's important that we provide this essential screening for men on our island.

It's mostly curable when caught early enough.

Edited by Lilly
Information was incorrect
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Lilly said:

A new screening using MRI is now available

Available where?  UK?   Do you have a link, showing that?

MRI is already part of diagnosis on island - but I wasn’t aware that screening (like breast screening) had started, here or elsewhere.

eta: I’ve just spotted the BBC report about the clinical trial.   Initial results suggest that MRI would be a better screening tool than PSA levels.   That’s great, but I think there’s a way to go before an MRI screening program is introduced.   At the moment, there is no formal screening program for prostate cancer, using any diagnostic method.   Arguably, there should be.

Edited by Jarndyce
eta

Apologies it's being 

4 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Available where?  UK?   Do you have a link, showing that?

MRI is already part of diagnosis on island - but I wasn’t aware that screening (like breast screening) had started, here or elsewhere.

Sorry l should said could, it's been used for trials at university hospital which has been successful in diagnosis of early curable cancer. I will edit my post. 

The point is if we use MRI screening we will save mens lifes.  My husband died screening would have saved his life. These early prostate cancer are missed by PSA blood tests. 

Edited by Lilly
Spelling mistake

14 minutes ago, Lilly said:

The point is if we use MRI screening we will save mens lifes.  My husband died screening would have saved his life. These early prostrate cancer are missed by PSA blood tests. 

I’m sorry to hear it - my condolences.

The thing is, even PSA levels are not being used as a “screening” tool.   Men over 50 can request a PSA test (I think), or their GP might suggest it if they are having urinary symptoms.   But there isn’t a national screening programme, like there is for bowel and breast cancer, ie, mass testing of symptomless individuals above a certain age.   I suspect PSA was considered too unreliable for the purpose - MRI would certainly be more accurate and reliable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Apologies it's being 

Sorry l should said could, it's been used for trials at university hospital which has been successful in diagnosis of early curable cancer. I will edit my post. 

The point is if we use MRI screening we will save mens lifes.  My husband died screening would have saved his life. These early prostrate cancer are missed by PSA blood tests. 

Sorry to hear that Lilly and yes, I agree, the best screening possible should be available. 

Sadly the island at the moment seems he'll bent on adding extra layers of management to the health service (Manx Care?) rather than doing anything useful to people's health.

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Sadly the island at the moment seems he'll bent on adding extra layers of management to the health service (Manx Care?) rather than doing anything useful to people's health.

While not disagreeing with your view on health service management: I’m not sure what you would suggest that they should introduce at this point to screen for prostate cancer - PSA is unreliable as a screening method, MRI is still under clinical trial.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I’m sorry to hear it - my condolences.

The thing is, even PSA levels are not being used as a “screening” tool.   Men over 50 can request a PSA test (I think), or their GP might suggest it if they are having urinary symptoms.   But there isn’t a national screening programme, like there is for bowel and breast cancer, ie, mass testing of symptomless individuals above a certain age.   I suspect PSA was considered too unreliable for the purpose - MRI would certainly be more accurate and reliable.

National screening l used a poor choice of word.

Screening for prostrate cancer has been overlooked in my opinion. It is so curable, now we find a simple 10 minute MRI will not only save the lives of men it also prevent evasive non necessary biopsies. I believe screening could be targeted at men in their late 40s early 50s. 

25 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

While not disagreeing with your view on health service management: I’m not sure what you would suggest that they should introduce at this point to screen for prostate cancer - PSA is unreliable as a screening method, MRI is still under clinical trial.

Clinical trails is how we discover the facts also improve.  This trail has been very successful in diagnosing early prostrate cancer that would otherwise be missed by a PSA Blood test 

43 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

My GP offered me a prostate exam when I turned 50. I told him he could stick it up his ass.

I guess that was a lighthearted joke. But to be blunt, my husband had previously been examined and was told everything was fine 🙂 

• Sad 2

I do wonder if l should change this post title to Men's Health?  

I genuinely find men don't really want to know or talk about their health or they make jokes about it?  As a woman l really try to understand why this is so?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Sorry to hear that Lilly and yes, I agree, the best screening possible should be available. 

I think you make some sense of what is probably happening everywhere with the health service, but what actually is to be done to solve this? 

10 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I genuinely find men don't really want to know or talk about their health or they make jokes about it?  As a woman l really try to understand why this is so?

It’s true - but I don’t know why.

Is it changing?  Are younger men more open to discussing health issues than older men?