Prostate cancer

Lilly

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I agree - MRI is clearly the way forward.

It's only one way forward. A significant step would be to offer BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation counselling & screening at a much earlier age at say 40 if someone else in their family has is suffering or died from it.

WebMD says:

If you have a BRCA2 mutation, most studies show you may have around a 20% to 40% chance of developing prostate cancer over your lifetime. For some people, research shows the odds may be as high as 60%. To put that in perspective, someone without this mutation has about a 16% chance of developing prostate cancer at some point in their life.

My eldest brother died from this terrible disease almost 3 years ago so I'm potentially at significant risk if it turns out that both myself and my other living brother have a gene mutation (there may be others). As far as I know these tests are not available on the NHS but can be bought on the private diagnostics market. One treatment option that never seems to be on the list even when you might have a gene mutation is a full prostatectomy to stop the damned thing from spreading, unlike a mastectomy for women.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

... but I think there’s a way to go before an MRI screening program is introduced. 

Introduce? Introduce....?

Reminded me of this clip from Phoenix Nights:

But even better, as a piece of TV was Jerry's joy at being given the all clear (well, it was IBS, rather anything far worse) as he happily bounced his way back to the night club to the background music of a jolly sounding big band, which made a wonderful segue into an actual big band playing for an audition in the club.

Lilly, some men do try to make jokes about their health. Those jokes are rarely amusing but I think that is ok if the subject then gets talked about in a meaningful way.

On a serious note, I went through a phase of peeing many times during the night and became worried, so I went to the doctor. Although I am at an age where I am not bothered about modesty and certainly have no problem with any medical examination or procedure, the shock of the situation with an entry into a place that is strictly exit only seemed to have shocked yon gland into behaving itself. I am thankful for the examination and tests, and the professional way it was carried out. 

And on a not dissimilar note, I wonder how many people take a look at their poo? I bet the majority of folk reading this have baulked at the very suggestion already. It's such a simple thing to do and takes just a quick second or  two. And many people think German toilets - ie with a shelf before flushing- are like that just to preserve water. 

• Like 1

Most men really know nothing about PC, except that it afflicts others. Female doctor at my surgery flatly refuses to carry out the necessary DRE and relies on the wholly inaccurate PSA test. Mind you, looking at her nails I was quite relieved. It's a tricky one also because certain medications can lower a PSA reading thus hampering the diagnostics. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jarndyce said:

It’s true - but I don’t know why.

Is it changing?  Are younger men more open to discussing health issues than older men?

I do hope so...

Do we have any younger men on Manx forum we could ask? I'm sure we do.

39 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I do wonder if l should change this post title to Men's Health?  

No. Keep it as it is. It is stark enough to draw the required  attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's only one way forward. A significant step would be to offer BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation counselling & screening at a much earlier age at say 40 if someone else in their family has is suffering or died from it.

WebMD says:

My eldest brother died from this terrible disease almost 3 years ago so I'm potentially at significant risk if it turns out that both myself and my other living brother have a gene mutation (there may be others). As far as I know these tests are not available on the NHS but can be bought on the private diagnostics market. One treatment option that never seems to be on the list even when you might have a gene mutation is a full prostatectomy to stop the damned thing from spreading, unlike a mastectomy for women.

I'm so sorry for your loss to this awful cancer.  That test should be available on the NHS to you.

30 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's only one way forward. A significant step would be to offer BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation counselling & screening at a much earlier age at say 40 if someone else in their family has is suffering or died from it

I’m sorry for your own loss, Andy.

And I agree with you about mutation testing and counselling - but that would be targeted at men with a familial issue.   I’m not sure it would work as a national screening tool (like stool testing for bowel cancer).

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

A new screening using MRI has been successfully trailed which is more accurate for diagnosis.  It's being suggested today this should be part of a screening program 

Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

Curious. Does the MRI  scan require isotope targeting? Do we have nuclear radiography on the Island?

Could require an off Island trip if not. Could be a stumbling block?

Good news though!

Edited by Kopek

32 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Introduce? Introduce....?

Reminded me of this clip from Phoenix Nights:

But even better, as a piece of TV was Jerry's joy at being given the all clear (well, it was IBS, rather anything far worse) as he happily bounced his way back to the night club to the background music of a jolly sounding big band, which made a wonderful segue into an actual big band playing for an audition in the club.

Lilly, some men do try to make jokes about their health. Those jokes are rarely amusing but I think that is ok if the subject then gets talked about in a meaningful way.

On a serious note, I went through a phase of peeing many times during the night and became worried, so I went to the doctor. Although I am at an age where I am not bothered about modesty and certainly have no problem with any medical examination or procedure, the shock of the situation with an entry into a place that is strictly exit only seemed to have shocked yon gland into behaving itself. I am thankful for the examination and tests, and the professional way it was carried out. 

And on a not dissimilar note, I wonder how many people take a look at their poo? I bet the majority of folk reading this have baulked at the very suggestion already. It's such a simple thing to do and takes just a quick second or  two. And many people think German toilets - ie with a shelf before flushing- are like that just to preserve water. 

Actually l think joking about something is a good way to approach a difficult subject.  I'm really pleased to note your approach to your own health which is so positive, thank you so much for sharing that experience. 

Papaya leaf tea?

Selective anti-proliferative activities of Carica papaya leaf juice extracts against prostate cancer

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28249253/

Conclusion: This is the first report suggesting selective anti-proliferative and anti-metastatic attributes of LJP extract against prostatic diseases, including PCa.

Carica papaya leaf extract inhibits prostatitis-associated prostatic hyperplasia via the TRAF6/TAK1/MEK/NF-κB pathway

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33433362/

Additional. It should take 20 seconds to empty a bladder whether you are an elephant or a mouse. Any more is an indication of an issue. Lots of other symptoms.

If you are alerted, it is an inevitability for males, then get hold of some Papaya Leaf Tea (PLT) and some green tea, also beneficial. PLT is bitter tasting so the green tea makes it more palatable. Do not skimp, a jugful of the stuff and maybe a follow on will do. Note PLT is beneficial for other issues.

Observe the flow, should improve over a day or so. Re apply every year or so as a precaution.

This is old medicine, not what a doctor will know about. This may help in avoiding the knife.

Give it a go if applicable, and maybe say something in this thread if you see an improvement. It is almost a certainty in males. Your choice.

Edited by philwebs
Additional info/suggestions

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I’m sorry for your own loss, Andy.

And I agree with you about mutation testing and counselling - but that would be targeted at men with a familial issue.   I’m not sure it would work as a national screening tool (like stool testing for bowel cancer).

This is true but some men might not be aware that their grandfathers or uncles even had the disease. My understanding is that it's not just a single generation issue. 

• Like 2