MGP 2023

La Colombe

29 minutes ago, kevster said:

MGP reaces are still going - alongside the Classic TT. The two together make up the Festival of Motorcycling

I don't think that's true anymore.  The Festival of Motorcycling seems to have been replaced as the brand this year and replaced by the Manx Grand Prix.  And none of the races seem to have retained the Classic TT branding - just Classic Senior/Superbike.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think that's true anymore.  The Festival of Motorcycling seems to have been replaced as the brand this year and replaced by the Manx Grand Prix.  And none of the races seem to have retained the Classic TT branding - just Classic Senior/Superbike.

Exactly right.

The FoM and Classic TT brands have been quietly dropped. Even all the lap and race records which were set during the FoM era (2013-2019) have been ignored, and only those set in the 'Manx Grand Prix' either before, or after, the FoM period are being recognised. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don’t know why they bother. We all said this would happen when the FoM was mooted. MF, the cheaper option. 

48 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

In contrast to arguably the best TT ever, was that the worst MGP ever?

Has it finished? What happened to the rest of the week? It seemed to be all practices and little else. I can’t see the fans liking that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Has it finished? What happened to the rest of the week? It seemed to be all practices and little else. I can’t see the fans liking that. 

Races, Friday, Saturday and yesterday.  To be honest I think it kind of makes sense to have a week of practice and then all the races at the 'weekend'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Races, Friday, Saturday and yesterday.  To be honest I think it kind of makes sense to have a week of practice and then all the races at the 'weekend'. 

New things. Blah blah blah. New things. 

I’ll prolly like it more next year when it’s not so new. 

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

All done Rox.

Racing was on Fri, Sat & Mon. Friday however never got going due to weather so everything was squeezed into Sat and Mon. Not universally popular with fans but a reasonable balance between bike racing and normal life. May need some fine tuning mind!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s not correct info though.  It was from 2013 to 2019 but there is no classic TT and no festival of motorcycling anymore.  It’s just The Manx Grand Prix since COVID

Thanks - I stand corrected

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Our guests who have been for the past couple of years have said it would be their last year. Basically, they felt it was a real disappointment, even accepting the weather wasn’t great. Next year they’ll be sticking to UK events, which come in at about 30% of what they pay for 3-4 days here.

I think its had its day, like the Southern. Time to move on.