MGP 2023

La Colombe

This fella knew the rules!!

"During an interview, he said he thought that he had been flying the drone more than the permitted 1,000 metres away from the course, but CCTV footage showed it landing around 200 metres from the course."

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Including some of the competitors and their backers it would appear...

Screenshot_20230829-174510_Facebook.jpg

That's a local guy who was following a team, I think the opinions are mostly his. 

There's been mixed feelings from many long term MGP supporters who remember the event as it was in the 60s through to 2012. Times have changed, people have changed, priorities have changed, safety protocols have changed. It's impossible to run as it was, it was getting difficult pre Covid, even harder now. 

Many see the sense in the new format and can accept it, including the majority of competitors, there are those who just won't, and consequently the attitude becomes 'everything is shit!' It's those people who are doing the most damage to the event. Far from being supporters, they are the exact opposite!    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That's a local guy who was following a team, I think the opinions are mostly his. 

There's been mixed feelings from many long term MGP supporters who remember the event as it was in the 60s through to 2012. Times have changed, people have changed, priorities have changed, safety protocols have changed. It's impossible to run as it was, it was getting difficult pre Covid, even harder now. 

Many see the sense in the new format and can accept it, including the majority of competitors, there are those who just won't, and consequently the attitude becomes 'everything is shit!' It's those people who are doing the most damage to the event. Far from being supporters, they are the exact opposite!    

If you can access this page Max (MR FB) there are 290 comments at the time of screenshot and probably a lot more by now. Those comments have been posted by fans, marshals and those connected with the racing. Only around 10 of the 290 have contributed in the positive. Surely all those people can't be wrong?

Screenshot_20230829-184229_Facebook.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

This fella knew the rules!!

"During an interview, he said he thought that he had been flying the drone more than the permitted 1,000 metres away from the course, but CCTV footage showed it landing around 200 metres from the course."

i suppose if he thinks 2 inches is actually 6 it could make a bit of sense.

• Haha 2

On 8/29/2023 at 12:39 PM, Nellie said:

Exactly right.

The FoM and Classic TT brands have been quietly dropped. Even all the lap and race records which were set during the FoM era (2013-2019) have been ignored, and only those set in the 'Manx Grand Prix' either before, or after, the FoM period are being recognised. 

Liverpool fans look at the Premier League era and pray for a similar cancel-culture to be introduced.

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you can access this page Max (MR FB) there are 290 comments at the time of screenshot and probably a lot more by now. Those comments have been posted by fans, marshals and those connected with the racing. Only around 10 of the 290 have contributed in the positive. Surely all those people can't be wrong?

It doesn't really matter if they are wrong or right, the main gripe is the shortening of the event. Many of the comments are ill informed but it's obviously what they believe. It's impossible to run the event with insufficient marshals and medics, the TTMA and Motorsport Medical Services have stated that they can't provide sufficient people after the bank holiday. It is therefore impossible to run the racing. The only alternative is to cancel the MGP. 

Perhaps some non racing activities could be organised during the week following the event, a festival of some sort? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I saw a weird thing at the gates of the crem this morning, a load of blokes all dressed up as travelling marshals hanging around photographing each other. What was that all about? 

Former Chief Travelling Marshal Alan 'Kipper' Killip's funeral with past and present TM's posing for a pic?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Former Chief Travelling Marshal Alan 'Kipper' Killip's funeral with past and present TM's posing for a pic?

after 36 years as a travelling marshal  at all the islands motorcycle events it was entirely fitting that he be given a good send off , an excellent tribute  to a man who had a lifelong dedication to all forms of motorcycle sport ,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

after 36 years as a travelling marshal  at all the islands motorcycle events it was entirely fitting that he be given a good send off , an excellent tribute  to a man who had a lifelong dedication to all forms of motorcycle sport ,

He was a very good bloke, and a totally decent person.

Very sad to see him go.

RIP Kipper.

Should have been OBE or similar for his commitment IMHO.

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It doesn't really matter if they are wrong or right, the main gripe is the shortening of the event. Many of the comments are ill informed but it's obviously what they believe. It's impossible to run the event with insufficient marshals and medics, the TTMA and Motorsport Medical Services have stated that they can't provide sufficient people after the bank holiday. It is therefore impossible to run the racing. The only alternative is to cancel the MGP. 

Perhaps some non racing activities could be organised during the week following the event, a festival of some sort? 

One thing that struck me as being relevant in the comments was the cramming if so many events in such a small window.

9 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Very sad to see him go.

RIP Kipper.

That's the most sensible post I've ever seen you make! 😉  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Very sad to see him go.

RIP Kipper.

He had been awarded the MBE quite a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

One thing that struck me as being relevant in the comments was the cramming if so many events in such a small window.

That's fairly true, although the number of races has been cut to five from seven. Not being able to have the contingency is a problem, as was seen on Monday. The lack of officials after the Monday has knocked that on the head.

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

He had been awarded the MBE quite a few years ago.

That's fairly true, although the number of races has been cut to five from seven. Not being able to have the contingency is a problem, as was seen on Monday. The lack of officials after the Monday has knocked that on the head.

From what I've read I think even the non-race events seemed to be crammed into the small window of opportunity.

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I saw that yesterday and considered a comment disagreeing with those who had posted.   Many of whom seemed to not be bike fans or people who have recently moved here.

I decided it wasn’t worth the aggro and suspect lots of others glanced at the comments, disagreed, decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and scrolled on.

As a family we all enjoyed the event as did our visitors and people I speak to at work.

People who moan are always more vocal than those who are happy.  Look on any local forum in Britain for evidence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2