MGP 2023

La Colombe

31 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Weathers looking grim this weekend so hopefully no more racing

Well, there hasn’t been any racing yet but regardless of that.

Why would you hope that the actual races don’t take place after all the practice?  All the money people have spent preparing and travelling.

There is barely a space on a plane or boat to the island for the next day or so and it was the same yesterday with thousands travelling to watch the event.

Are you the worlds most miserable person?

The only upside to no racing would be additional spend by visitors in pubs and food places, but the flip side is a reduced chance of them ever coming back.

Hopefully the weather plays ball and Jurby Day and all the other events planned for Sunday also get to go ahead.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Well, there hasn’t been any racing yet but regardless of that.

Why would you hope that the actual races don’t take place after all the practice?  All the money people have spent preparing and travelling.

There is barely a space on a plane or boat to the island for the next day or so and it was the same yesterday with thousands travelling to watch the event.

Are you the worlds most miserable person?

The only upside to no racing would be additional spend by visitors in pubs and food places, but the flip side is a reduced chance of them ever coming back.

Hopefully the weather plays ball and Jurby Day and all the other events planned for Sunday also get to go ahead.

OK no racing practice/qualifying whatever you want to call it.

TT I get it actually brings the Island to life but this MGP or whatever its called is just pointless. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

OK no racing practice/qualifying whatever you want to call it.

TT I get it actually brings the Island to life but this MGP or whatever its called is just pointless. 

Pointless?

Have you tried booking a hotel or travel this week?  Everything is booked solid

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I can see today being one of those close the roads all day for ultimately no reason days. 

Do you mean, apart from these three reasons?

12:30: Roads Close
13:00: Senior & Classic Superbike Qualifying
13:30: Junior, Lightweight & Classic Senior Qualifying
14:40: Sure Lightweight Manx Grand Prix-3 laps

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Pointless?

Have you tried booking a hotel or travel this week?  Everything is booked solid

Indeed.  I had a client over earlier this week (Easyjet allowed it this time).  He wanted to stay longer and with the GP he tried to book a couple of extra nights in a hotel/change flights, but couldn't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

How much is the TT Sports dept paying for John McGuinness to appear?

20k min according to my dad (goodness knows how he knows but he seemed pretty sure). It’s a shame that the professional riders get involved, MGP used to be a “beginners” race didn’t it?

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

No I don't, they are the reasons the road is closing. 

24 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Not going to happen though is it.  Communication today is very poor so far and doesn’t do anything to appease the grumpy people who can’t get pleasure from the place being busy enough to sustain pop ups and extended opening for hospitality places.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2bees said:

20k min according to my dad (goodness knows how he knows but he seemed pretty sure). It’s a shame that the professional riders get involved, MGP used to be a “beginners” race didn’t it?

There’s a classic TT and the MGP. Yes the MGP is a ‘beginners’ race and feeder for the TT, which has a good following. The classic TT gets a lot of visitors, particularly with the big names riders. 2 awesome events that, when combined, produce a very successful event with shared organisation and a huge amount of income for the island. I had to leave the island last night for a week in the UK and there were hundreds of bikes at Heysham queuing for the boat, and hundreds got off the Manxman when it docked. This helps support tourism, hospitality, accommodation, retail, etc. the revenue it brings in is worth the start money for the big names IMHO. 

Edited by Steve_Christian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/23/2023 at 9:33 PM, english zloty said:

factual rumour is saying age had nothing to do with it, nor did reflex time :(

The body does not heal as well the older you get.      Age may not have anything to do with it this time, but should he have been still alive the recovery would have been much longer than if he was 20/30.

• Like 1