MGP 2023

La Colombe

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

They said roads closed at 12:30

Then they said update at 11:30 - no update other than they would be checking the 12:00 weather forecast.  They then confirmed road closure at about 12:15

Enough people had obviously been expecting an update at 11:30 that it has caused some confusion.

Then they closed the roads when it was obvious it was a waste of time.  5 bikes as far as Ballaugh and then cancel the whole thing.

Idiots

There was an announcement just after 11:30 on Manx Radio (AM - the station the race info is broadcast on) that the roads were closing at 12.30 ...

At 11:40 ish when I headed to the Mountain the Matrix signs said TT Course close at 12:30 .... no confusion as far as I can see.

The message to re-open the roads was equally clear.

Edited by daisy
added last bit

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

They said roads closed at 12:30

Then they said update at 11:30 - no update other than they would be checking the 12:00 weather forecast.  They then confirmed road closure at about 12:15

Enough people had obviously been expecting an update at 11:30 that it has caused some confusion.

Then they closed the roads when it was obvious it was a waste of time.  5 bikes as far as Ballaugh and then cancel the whole thing.

Idiots

1130 they said it was under threat pending new forecast at 1200. 1207 they said it was going ahead, and roads would close at 1230. About 1340 they decide it isn't. So nobody knew where they were with it.

Anyone want to put a best guess figure on the cost of this amateur death fest on local construction companies?

The £amount of local spend lost when thousands of residents go on holiday to get away from the Death Fests?

I am calling it more than it brings to the rock.

In addition to that, the piss poor hotels on the rock - Apart from a few new and very well setup ones - count on MGP and the TT to keep going like Zombie Hotels.

Most hotels on the rock are SH1T, damp old boarding houses from the last century that have had a bit of paint and somehow managed to add an en-suite.  If you cant see that, get some glasses. I would never stay in 98% of them. 

If you got rid of the dross, better hotels would establish and the tourist economy would expand.

• Sad 1