Miss Isle of Man

La Colombe

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's something in that, though unnatural body shapes as an ideal go back for much longer.  Think of those tiny, corseted waists of the Edwardian period.  Again the point is that such appearances take a lot of money and effort.  Similarly tans became fashionable only in the 1920s when they became the mark of someone who had the leisure time to spend Summer on the beach.  previously they would have indicated a peasant, but now the vast majority of workers were in town and factories and pale skinned.

But even up to the 1950s fashion models, actresses, pin-ups and the like were still full-figured.  What happened was the baby-boomers.  The sheer number of them and their disposable income, coupled with mass clothes manufacturing, suddenly meant that the person clothes were being sold to became a teenager, rather than a mature woman.  And that's the way the fashion ideal has stayed ever since, very young and very skinny.

I think fashion is actually changing.  I've noticed the advertising of more naturally shape women is more noticeable now, Boots is one of those show positively normal, larger woman.  It's About time, actually, as it can have a detrimental effect on our young people.

I have myself lost a considerable amount of weight, but not through starvation, as l really enjoy food and do enjoy a drink, but l choose both carefully as l like to be healthy, so exercising outside, not in a gym, is a big and enjoyable part of my life.  When l eat crap food, l actually feel awful, so l think l've found the answer to feeling better.  However, everyone is different, and changing isn't that easy, is not for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1