Laxey Wheel Admission

Max Power

That's pricey, much like Castle Rushen. I visited a few weeks back as my nephew had never been inside, and it was abysmal for the cost. Most rooms empty except for a small board with three lines on, stating the use of the room at three different points in history. Exhibition which consisted of a thin board running round a room with some writing on it showing a naff timeline, aging dining room, empty dungeon with half of it closed off. There is so much they could be doing with these sites and yet they don't bother.

Laxey Wheel for example, could have a visitors centre, with an exhibition of various mining tools, other items retrieved from the mines, a historical picture tour of the history of the mines with decent info boards. It could have a cafe, gift shop with mining souvenirs. They could work to extend the current adit so you can walk in and explore further, have people on site dressed up as miners giving guided tours of the area. So many ideas, and yet, they won't. They keep harping on about attracting tourists and how great the islands heritage is and yet do nothing with it.

£13.50 is a lot wander down a short stone corridor, climb some stairs and go "that looks nice".

Edited by Chie
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Chie said:

Laxey Wheel for example, could have a visitors centre, with an exhibition of various mining tools...

We already have a fine display of Manx tools here...though strictly not mining, many are for digging deeper and deeper holes for all the residents of the island.

...and to see them, entry is actually free!

download (15).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Chie said:

That's pricey, much like Castle Rushen. I visited a few weeks back as my nephew had never been inside, and it was abysmal for the cost. Most rooms empty except for a small board with three lines on, stating the use of the room at three different points in history. Exhibition which consisted of a thin board running round a room with some writing on it showing a naff timeline, aging dining room, empty dungeon with half of it closed off. There is so much they could be doing with these sites and yet they don't bother.

Laxey Wheel for example, could have a visitors centre, with an exhibition of various mining tools, other items retrieved from the mines, a historical picture tour of the history of the mines with decent info boards. It could have a cafe, gift shop with mining souvenirs. They could work to extend the current adit so you can walk in and explore further, have people on site dressed up as miners giving guided tours of the area. So many ideas, and yet, they won't. They keep harping on about attracting tourists and how great the islands heritage is and yet do nothing with it.

£13.50 is a lot wander down a short stone corridor, climb some stairs and go "that looks nice"

Agree and also when they can't afford to refresh/renew their premier attractions with natural draw (Laxey Wheel & Castle Rushen), why are they seeking to spend millions on another expensive (both to build and maintain) site - Peggy? The Trustees are seeking glory rather than protecting and improving the existing assets.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

Agree and also when they can't afford to refresh/renew their premier attractions with natural draw (Laxey Wheel & Castle Rushen), why are they seeking to spend millions on another expensive (both to build and maintain) site - Peggy? The Trustees are seeking glory rather than protecting and improving the existing assets.

So true.  Push the £3m into the existing sites - repair, refresh and renew.  Make them something worth visiting rather than rather shabby sites that look like no one really cares. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope the government turn their request for three million down but they won’t because they will be reluctant to offend the trustees of the MNH who don’t seem to be doing a great job with the sites that they manage at the minute.    Who are the trustees that actually runs the MNH ?   Are the volunteers?   Perhaps it is time for a bit of a shake up and people with some financial acumen were put in charge.   On a bigger stage hopefully this will happen at the next general election there is a need for some drastic changes in the public’s thinking regarding the reason they give a candidate a vote and we need more experienced, knowledgeable people standing as candidates.   The choices in some constituencies were dire last time best of bunch is not good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taking all attractions into account Douglas was really busy with visitors off the cruise ship and the horses apparently have Mondays off so no horse trams does this make commercial sense ?  There were lots of  people having their photos taken with The Bee Gees and the 1886 proved another hot spot for photography, the window being the attraction.

Funnily enough I was there a couple of weeks ago with a friend visiting. 

As I was intricately explaining the engineering and history of the mines to him, I slowly picked up a small entourage of other tourists thirsting for my knowledge.  One asked, "do you work here?" and I had to explain that I went to Laxey school, where 30 something years ago, we all had to do a Laxey Wheel/Mines project.  Seems it was worth it! 

It's certainly not cheap, but also not outrageous.  If you're willing to walk further up the valley along the marked trails to the other mining buildings then it's probably a bit more worth it and kills a lot more time, compared to just going up to the top of the wheel (I'm honestly suprised no oldies get stuck up there, I'd forgotten how steep and exposed it is up there) and having a walk inside the mine shaft.

It does have some info boards, but I wouldn't have thought it would require much investment to have a bit more, such as some tools, outfits, chunks of ore... 

As an aside, he kept commenting on how clean and tidy everywhere was.  It was when we had those strong Easterlies and he took himself off twice to stroll alone along the prom watching waves.  Again he quite liked the look of the Promenade, but did question the madness of the horsie tram terminal at the end of Broadway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

As I was intricately explaining the engineering and history of the mines to him, I slowly picked up a small entourage of other tourists thirsting for my knowledge.  One asked, "do you work here?" and I had to explain that I went to Laxey school, where 30 something years ago, we all had to do a Laxey Wheel/Mines project.  Seems it was worth it! 

An alternative career beckons!

15 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Closing down the House of Manannan would be a good idea. And then funnel that money into other things.  I can't see any good reason for keeping the HOM going. 

Other than to house the Odin's Raven?

I know it's another boat, but compared to the Peggy, that one is quite interesting.  Plus I'm sure people find Vikings more interesting than some 18th Century MHK/Banker.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Closing down the House of Manannan would be a good idea. And then funnel that money into other things.  I can't see any good reason for keeping the HOM going. 

Interesting that Castle Rushen has higher footfall than HoM despite being closed half the year. 

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Other than to house the Odin's Raven?

I know it's another boat, but compared to the Peggy, that one is quite interesting.  Plus I'm sure people find Vikings more interesting than some 18th Century MHK/Banker.  

They should put the Peggy in the HOM. Make it into a nautical museum with Odin’s Raven and the fishing industry stuff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1