Laxey Wheel Admission

Max Power

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Also from Trip advisor.

"Included in the admission fee (£13 I think) is access to walking trails to see parts of the former mine buildings and it is possible to take a short walk into one of the mine roadways close to the wheel.
An excellent place to spend a few hours"

There seem to be an awful lot of good reviews.

I was up there with pals last week, it is indeed £13 a head to get in. The mine entrance/tunnel is little more than 20 yards in length (though they lend you a plastic helmet because of the low ceiling) and you can see the whole Laxey Wheel site via the "trails" in little more than 30 minutes, that includes climbing the wheel via the spiral staircase and reading the information boards. £13 is a little salty for that.

It is a similar story at the Wildlife Park at £12 a head for adults with empty enclosures and of the ones still inhabited many of the animals seem to be away on their hols at present or at least very reluctant to be seen. We were round there and out in less than an hour. Rather disappointing was the verdict.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Not as expensive as this though..

From Trip Advisor..

Full Day tour Laxey and Northern plains with qualified Isle of Man Tour Guide

Historical Tours

from 

$450.11

per group (up to 4)

For four people it's probably cheaper than taking the standard cruise tour - they charge the earth for those.

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Some friends were over for the MGP and visited the Laxey Wheel. They were met by a crowd milling around wondering what the £13.50 admission charge included. Suffice to say, nobody was climbing the stairs. 

I looked at the prices for 'similar attractions' some of which were a bit more expensive but are probably slightly better value for money?

https://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Guided-Eiffel-Tower-Tour-with-Summit-Access-Option/d479-47475P7

https://book.new-york-tickets.com/book/593/checkout/?date=2023-09-02&pax.adult=1&pax.child=0&pax.senior=0&time=12%3A30%3A00&tourId=724&variantId=724

https://www.tiqets.com/en/blackpool-attractions-c67591/tickets-for-blackpool-tower-eye-p977040/

Nice living in dreamland isn't it?

None are functioning engines though, are they?

We as a family visited the Wild Life Park in the spring it was the first week it opened full time and had a great afternoon there.    The six year old had a paper with a list of all the animals on it and she ticked every one except the wallabies there was lots to see and we had a cracking time ending up in the cafe which was very reasonable and the service was good.    We thought it was a bargain.    There are quite a few nocturnal creatures and some animals do tend to hide but we saw them all the parrots and other birds were great one is a talker and great fun.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

It’s the whole affair of mnh stealing that money pisses me off no end. 

I think that was settled in court to allow it to happen???

The Salmon centre have a cut-away of the mine and possibly more info? Also a local artist did a model of some part of the mine?

MNH could ask the centre to put more on display but they couldn't charge for that of course!

13 hours ago, Banker said:

Could have got a visitor pass for £30 unlimited entry to all sites for £30, residents only £35 for year. Bargain prices 

also there’s a cafe across road open everyday 

A manx national  heritage membership might be better value for money if there are two of you 

Membership is £40 per year  but fees for an additional member is £30  ( so its nett £70 which is same as two residents passes) 

Children under 5 is free and  kids under 18's can be added on for £6 a year.  

You also get access to other heritage sites which often costs £100's per year ( The English heritage pass  for two is around £120) 

Free admission (for all members)

• to all Manx National Heritage attractions
  • to over 2000 acres of National Trust land

Plus

• 10% discount in all Heritage Shops
  • Programme of events

For Manx residents only

• Free or reduced admission to some 650 properties throughout Britain operated by either the National Trust, English Heritage, National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland, Cadw, York Archaeological Trust, Office of Public Works (OPW) Republic of Ireland,  the National Trust for Jersey, Jersey Heritage and National Trust for Guernsey.
  • Free or reduced admission to properties controlled by the Trusts of Australia, New Zealand, The Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Malta (Din l-art Helwa and Heritage Malta).

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

A manx national  heritage membership might be better value for money if there are two of you 

Membership is £40 per year  but fees for an additional member is £30  ( so its nett £70 which is same as two residents passes) 

Children under 5 is free and  kids under 18's can be added on for £6 a year.  

You also get access to other heritage sites which often costs £100's per year ( The English heritage pass  for two is around £120) 

Free admission (for all members)

• to all Manx National Heritage attractions
  • to over 2000 acres of National Trust land

Plus

• 10% discount in all Heritage Shops
  • Programme of events

For Manx residents only

• Free or reduced admission to some 650 properties throughout Britain operated by either the National Trust, English Heritage, National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland, Cadw, York Archaeological Trust, Office of Public Works (OPW) Republic of Ireland,  the National Trust for Jersey, Jersey Heritage and National Trust for Guernsey.
  • Free or reduced admission to properties controlled by the Trusts of Australia, New Zealand, The Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Malta (Din l-art Helwa and Heritage Malta).

That's all fine if you are visiting all of the sites yes. 

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It is a similar story at the Wildlife Park at £12 a head for adults with empty enclosures and of the ones still inhabited many of the animals seem to be away on their hols at present or at least very reluctant to be seen. We were round there and out in less than an hour. Rather disappointing was the verdict.

I never knew you had to pay to visit Pulrose. 

• Haha 2