HOPs

Manxman1234

56 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Has anyone tried HOPs yet? Bar in Douglas? Passed it a couple times now and from outside doesn’t look very welcoming, looks as if opened months before it’s finished, only a few doors down and Henderson and Glass looks very welcoming 

It wasn’t open yesterday afternoon, certainly around 2pm. Henderson and Glass are established now, I think that HOPs offering high end spirits, alcoholic drinks and cigars is a niche area. Further down on Strand Street, the Hot Chocolate shop has relocated to Peel. It must have found cheaper premises, and perhaps the citizens of Peel prefer Hot Chocolate to Coffee?

38 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It wasn’t open yesterday afternoon, certainly around 2pm. Henderson and Glass are established now, I think that HOPs offering high end spirits, alcoholic drinks and cigars is a niche area. Further down on Strand Street, the Hot Chocolate shop has relocated to Peel. It must have found cheaper premises, and perhaps the citizens of Peel prefer Hot Chocolate to Coffee?

It opens at 3 on a Saturday currently, so no it wouldn't have been open when you went by.

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Has anyone tried HOPs yet? Bar in Douglas? Passed it a couple times now and from outside doesn’t look very welcoming, looks as if opened months before it’s finished, only a few doors down and Henderson and Glass looks very welcoming 

OK I will bite, even though I honestly think you're trolling. You're also trolling in the wrong section, as there is a food & drink one.

Not sure what nonsense you're talking. They've had very good comments about the property and have spent plenty cash on it.

H&G is well established and had serious backing. I'd be staggered if it didn't look better overall but it's easy when you have a large pot of money.

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

OK I will bite, even though I honestly think you're trolling. You're also trolling in the wrong section, as there is a food & drink one.

Not sure what nonsense you're talking. They've had very good comments about the property and have spent plenty cash on it.

H&G is well established and had serious backing. I'd be staggered if it didn't look better overall but it's easy when you have a large pot of money.

Sorry, but it looks really uninviting from outside and we went down there specifically looking for it having read about it on here and liking the sound of it.

it was closed.  Bank holiday Monday afternoon when we were ready to spend.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Sorry, but it looks really uninviting from outside and we went down there specifically looking for it having read about it on here and liking the sound of it.

Mate they are both working full time jobs and running the place at the weekend trying to get the business off the ground.

Their Facebook and Google specifically state the hours. They were also very clear when they'd be open.

They'd also been open all of Manx GP week from Sunday to Sunday. You think it's unreasonable for them to take a day off to rest before having to go back to work?

You're clearly a hospitality expert. What would you do to make it more 'inviting' to you?

Edited by jackwhite
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Mate they are both working full time jobs and running the place at the weekend trying to get the business off the ground.

Their Facebook and Google specifically state the hours. They were also very clear when they'd be open.

They'd also been open all of Manx GP week from Sunday to Sunday. You think it's unreasonable for them to take a day off to rest before having to go back to work?

You're clearly a hospitality expert. What would you do to make it more 'inviting' to you?

I would probably put the business name on the front of the building somewhere, rather than in almost invisible frosted text on a side window for starters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

I would probably put the business name on the front of the building somewhere, rather than in almost invisible frosted text on a side window for starters.

They are but you need planning permission for that which they are trying to sort at the moment.

You clearly saw the name if you know where it is.

Any other requests?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Fully agree, from outside looks closed, even when open, looking through window looks like a charity shop cafe. A red bull fridge sitting empty, on display, just shouted low standards and uninviting.
It might be an amazing place, hence why I’m asking. Initial impressions from outside definitely wasn’t that’s somewhere I want to spend my money.

as for Jack whites Trolling comment - it’s a genuine observation. Hopefully im Correct and they opened too early and still work in progress. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Didn’t even notice that on window. 

has the look of a speak easy, which to be fair might be a good concept if they trying to go for clientele who spend more 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

That would explain it then if this is more of a hobby, and not their full time commitment. hopefully it succeeds as market for smaller bar wirh decent spirits and ales 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

They are but you need planning permission for that which they are trying to sort at the moment.

You clearly saw the name if you know where it is.

Any other requests?

We walked past twice and only saw the name because we were really looking for it.

Like I said we went down specifically to find and try the place after hearing about it from you on here.  I don’t know why you are so defensive from what is genuine feedback.

The signage was rubbish (planning doesn’t take that long) and as a random passer by I would never give the place a second look.

It was closed on a Bank Holiday, and to be honest from outside just looked a bit rubbish.

Sorry if you don’t like the genuine feedback.  We went to the Front Porch and had a great afternoon spending the money we had intended to spend in Hops

4 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Fully agree, from outside looks closed, even when open, looking through window looks like a charity shop cafe. A red bull fridge sitting empty, on display, just shouted low standards and uninviting.
It might be an amazing place, hence why I’m asking. Initial impressions from outside definitely wasn’t that’s somewhere I want to spend my money.

as for Jack whites Trolling comment - it’s a genuine observation. Hopefully im Correct and they opened too early and still work in progress. 

The fridge isn't to stay. It's a place holder so that no-one goes into that corner. It was gifted to them by someone but they didn't realise the condition it was in until it arrived. They are waiting on two brand new fridges arriving for bottles and cans. Both to take-away and drink in, should you wish. Then the other one will be taken away, at cost to them again. 

It is very much a work in progress. Hence why they are continually referring to this as their soft opening.

I'm not going to go into the reasons for that but they've had to adjust big time and aren't where they wanted to be for opening. However, with all businesses, you just need to get open sometimes and then find the way. 

As I've alluded to, they'll be the first to admit the place is not exactly where they want it to be. 

It's very difficult when you open a business particularly if something happens like what has to them. However they need to be open. That said they're doing a very good job IMO and the customers who are coming in are happy. They're over-subscribed on the cigars and have gone through almost 1000 pints in 3 weeks, so not bad going. 

If you don't think it's welcoming, it's fine. But give it a go as they are making everyone who comes in very welcome. 

There are people who will try it and not like it, obviously. It may be they're not into craft beer or have experienced it. It may be that they like cask. It won't appeal to all. But if none of it puts you off, try and get past your impressions and just give it a go.