HOPs

Manxman1234

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

Yes...... But at those margins I expect somewhere offering a more pleasant environment with top quality glassware etc.   

A large humidor (possibly walk in) for the cigars. 

I've looked in through the window several times as its always been closed, to see what was happening and what I've seen doesn't inspire. 

But as you say diversity is a good thing and people can choose. 

They serve the whisky in Glencairn glasses. The correct glass for serving them. You know of anywhere else on the Isle of Man that does that? What 'top quality glassware' are you thinking of exactly?

A walk in humidor on the Isle of Man and opulent surroundings. You don't want much do you?

They very much chose to keep it low key to make it accessible. There is a lot of pomp and nonsense that surrounds whisky and cigars. As if they are items for the rich only. They aren't and they wish to get this message across. The idea is it's open to everyone and it has encouraged more custom from people you wouldn't expect to find in cigar shops. These type of people would be intimidated by 'walk in' humidors and opulent surroundings. You might not fancy it but there may be 10 people who aren't put off. They are making a standard markup on the whisky. If you don't understand that then you don't understand how much the bottles cost. 

It's their first business. They've used their savings to get it off the ground. 

I doubt many here have ever had the same experience and know how difficult to 'piece' the business together. 

People are choosing and they're doing well. As they add to the business, I believe it will continue to grow. 

If it's not with you then ok. Obviously it's your choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

They serve the whisky in Glencairn glasses. The correct glass for serving them. You know of anywhere else on the Isle of Man that does that? What 'top quality glassware' are you thinking of exactly?

A walk in humidor on the Isle of Man and opulent surroundings. You don't want much do you?

They very much chose to keep it low key to make it accessible. There is a lot of pomp and nonsense that surrounds whisky 

Like serving it in Glencairn glasses?

You might not fancy it but there may be 10 people who aren't put off.

On the other hand, there may , there maybe ten people thinking, pretentious wanker and thinking, I'll have pint of Skoll please!!!!

Oh, this could be a long night!!! Thank you jACK!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

There is a lot of pomp and nonsense that surrounds whisky and cigars. As if they are items for the rich only. They aren't and they wish to get this message across

Just as you are doing for this start up you are connected to!!!!

Keep swimming jack!!

3 hours ago, jackwhite said:

t's their first business. They've used their savings to get it off the ground. 

I doubt many here have ever had the same experience and know how difficult to 'piece' the business together. 

Is it reallly that difficult to get a BAR of the ground??? Open a bar and some customers will come to you, offer big screen sports tv and even more will come!!! but are they coming for the TV or the Stella????

As regards their first venture, |I can only wish them well but there are many hosteltries betwen \liverpool and \Hull that would offer an array of Whiskies to satisfy the occasional imbiber of such liquids.

You're trying to make out that this new offerrng  is something different to what has been offered for some 30 yrs or more

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is it reallly that difficult to get a BAR of the ground??? Open a bar and some customers will come to you, offer big screen sports tv and even more will come!!! but are they coming for the TV or the Stella????

As regards their first venture, |I can only wish them well but there are many hosteltries betwen \liverpool and \Hull that would offer an array of Whiskies to satisfy the occasional imbiber of such liquids.

You're trying to make out that this new offerrng  is something different to what has been offered for some 30 yrs or more

Wasn't there a pub in Laxey? l think it was The Shore, that offered a fabulous array of whisky, although l'm talking 20 years years ago.  I know that when my brother came over  to visit me, l had to prise him out of there;  he was well impressed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Wasn't there a pub in Laxey? l think it was The Shore, that offered a fabulous array of whisky, although l'm talking 20 years years ago.  I know that when my brother came over  to visit me, l had to prise him out of there;  he was well impressed.

Yes it was the Shore in Laxey. Paul and his wife were the owners and he had close to 100 different whisky offerings. It was fun sometimes trying to source a rare one to extend his offer. Ah back in the days with fifth of a gill measures,when a single measure looked more than just a damp glass. 🥃Cheers 

Edited by emesde
Changed spelling of whisky as most that made up his collection was Scotch. Some good Bourbons also
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hoops said:

And they said there's no such thing as bad publicity...........

😉

Can't really see why people are getting cross with this venture? Or with JW?

And his point about demographics stands. Not my vibe at all, my preconception of the type of person they would attract, and the prices, will keep me away, but I wish them, and everyone trying to provide entertainment on the island, all the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Can't really see why people are getting cross with this venture? Or with JW?

And his point about demographics stands. Not my vibe at all, my preconception of the type of person they would attract, and the prices, will keep me away, but I wish them, and everyone trying to provide entertainment on the island, all the best.

Exactly so.  

If it doesn't appeal, then don't go - it isn't compulsory.   Why be so offended that they haven't got a sign up yet?  Why be offended by anything about it at all?  So what if part of their USP is cigars? Why does it matter?

Like you Hoops, not my thing, I don't think, but wish them well and hope the market they are appealing to is big enough to support them. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Exactly so.  

If it doesn't appeal, then don't go - it isn't compulsory.   Why be so offended that they haven't got a sign up yet?  Why be offended by anything about it at all?  So what if part of their USP is cigars? Why does it matter?

Like you Hoops, not my thing, I don't think, but wish them well and hope the market they are appealing to is big enough to support them. 

Who is getting cross? Merely an observation on the thread called 'firm closing ' and that to best avoid closing, it makes sense that people know what you are and what you offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Who is getting cross? Merely an observation on the thread called 'firm closing ' and that to best avoid closing, it makes sense that people know what you are and what you offer.

Exactly, not seen anyone ‘cross’ 

if business are to succeed feedback from potential customers or existing customers is important. 

no normal person wants businesses to fail, as it’s someone’s livelihood or employment, 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jackwhite said:

There is an element of the speak easy vibe. There is a well known bar in NYC that is hidden in a telephone box. I can only imagine the Manx view of that. 

It's not a hobby as such and something they want to make full time. They aren't in a position to do that, yet. 

Have you ever applied for planning? It takes around 2/3 months usually. There is at the very least a publicity period of 3 weeks then another appeal period of 3 weeks. By the time you factor in all the other bits it's usually around the timeframe indicated, as a minimum. That's without any delays or objections.

Again, they should open on a bank holiday Monday, having been open all week on their time off, some nights up until 1am, just because you wanted to go? So they should work for 10 days solid, without one single day break?

Why am I defensive? Because it's tiring listening to armchair experts talk nonsense when they haven't actually the foggiest idea. They spend lots of time talking to customers. They've tried various other forms of engagement and worked very hard to even get to this stage. So yes, it does get a bit grating. That said, I've stopped reading Facebook for the same reason, because everyone is an expert all of a sudden. 

Also one final thing, if you're used to The Front Porch, then this place may not to be your liking. They are very different concepts. 

£9/pint is an interesting concept. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Has anyone tried HOPs yet? Bar in Douglas? Passed it a couple times now and from outside doesn’t look very welcoming, looks as if opened months before it’s finished, only a few doors down and Henderson and Glass looks very welcoming 

More alcohol. That's what we need on the Isle of Man.