HOPs

Manxman1234

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I don’t drink whisky, rum or cider so I have no interest. As for beer I don’t get hung up on craft beer as craft beer is generally for weirdos who have 6 different types of beer in one sitting. I got a decent beer and the place is very wooden like the Rovers. Like having a beer in an old shop or furniture store not a pub. 

I'm honestly even more confused by this. 

You think The Rovers is not like a pub? 

I get what you're saying, you want it to look like a traditional 'pub'. You also don't like any of the products they sell. Does beg a few questions but fair enough.

Honestly not worth going into the whole thing but it's likely you were never going to like it. 

To be fair to you, at least you tried and it was 'ok'. I think that's all it was ever going to get from you tbf. 

Out of interest, when were you there?

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You are most welcome. 
I enjoy cask ale. I suggest you try it  ( but not at £8 a pint), you  may like it.

My local in UK is a real ale pub and occasionally has a special barrel on the bar at £12 a pint. (Yes, twelve - 'effin' - quids)

No way I'm paying that, I thought, but curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a taste, so I tried a third.  £4 for the drink.

It was the nicest beer I have ever tasted. Every sip. It lasted as long as the pints of generic real ale my colleagues were downing. It was a great night. Third by third.

( I may have related this ale tale in this thread already. I may relate it again )

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

I was out with a male friend at the weekend, he asked me if l had been in Hops the new place.  He said on arrival he enquired about the real beer on offer,  he spoke to a lady whom he said was one of the owners.  She shrugged and said she knew absolutely nothing about the beer on offer?  He said he was a bit taken back.  He said at £8.00 a pint, he expected some basic knowledge about their stock.  He's said he wouldn't going back.  I think he was probably not the right sort of customer they wish to attract.

So you're saying he wasn't told about the beer at all? I don't see that happening.

I've seen this happen in the bar. One of the owners doesn't know a great deal about craft beer. The other does more than most and I've seen him called upon.

10 minutes ago, Barlow said:

My local in UK is a real ale pub and occasionally has a special barrel on the bar at £12 a pint. (Yes, twelve - 'effin' - quids)

No way I'm paying that, I thought, but curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a taste, so I tried a third.  £4 for the drink.

It was the nicest beer I have ever tasted. Every sip. It lasted as long as the pints of generic real ale my colleagues were downing. It was a great night. Third by third.

( I may have related this ale tale in this thread already. I may relate it again )

Not uncommon especially in craft. 

Some of it is worth it and it's easy to see how it gets to that cost with the ingredients that go into it and especially the recent increase in alcohol duties.

The ones to watch out for are imported from USA. Can be superb but can be just average at inflated prices due to the cost of import.

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

So was it worth £12 a pint if it's the nicest beer you've ever had?

Out of interest, what was it? 

29 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Probably an imperial stout at that price I would imagine. My favourite style!

18 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

RTFM, FFS!

It wasn't worth £12 a pint - it was worth £4 a third!

😁

It is always much more palatable when you put it that way. Usually required too at the sort of ABV that price range usually merits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It is always much more palatable when you put it that way. Usually required too at the sort of ABV that price range usually merits.

I've accidentally got smashed a couple of times at home innocently sipping an elaborate stout sourced from Bottle Monkey.  Where does one procure such things nowadays?  Winter is coming, so it's Stout time. 

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I've accidentally got smashed a couple of times at home innocently sipping an elaborate stout sourced from Bottle Monkey.  Where does one procure such things nowadays?  Winter is coming, so it's Stout time. 

Try Sam Smiths: https://samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/shop/bottles/stout-bottles/imperial-stout/

Like you I got quietly smashed whilst sheltering from the snow in a Yorkshire Sam Smiths pub a few years back. It was definitely a stout and on draught but not 100% sure if it was the Imperial (above) or not. Fortunately the pub also happened to do B&B. Ended up staying two nights due to the weather! What a PITA that was! 😉

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Try Sam Smiths: https://samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/shop/bottles/stout-bottles/imperial-stout/

Like you I got quietly smashed whilst sheltering from the snow in a Yorkshire Sam Smiths pub a few years back. It was definitely a stout and on draught but not 100% sure if it was the Imperial (above) or not. Fortunately the pub also happened to do B&B. Ended up staying two nights due to the weather! What a PITA that was! 😉

Pffffff.  7%?  I'm talking about the 10 and above ones.  Where you don't realise you're blotto until you stand up and immediately walk into a wall.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Sam Smiths have done a bottled and draft Stout for many years. Terrible stuff. Like all their beers. Even the 2% lager

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

For some reason I find the really strong Stouts palatable, but not really strong beers. 

At that strength, it's basically wine. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

It was a month or two back, so not sure. The beers rotate regularly.  I found a picture I took in the pub. It was K4 which I notice here is £13.50 a pint and erm, 13% ABV. I didn't try that.

Beers02.thumb.jpg.b702951feade423fbd740088ac63b2a4.jpg

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

RTFM, FFS!

It wasn't worth £12 a pint - it was worth £4 a third!

😁

Yes, well worth it. I drank/sipped thirds, others quaffed and maybe savoured their pints (as I usually do).

If it is all about money, my night out was certainly no more expensive.

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Yes, it was a stout. I usually steer clear, but as I said, curiosity got the better of me. 

A pint, or even a half, would have been overfacing. Timewise/rounds, and even cost, my third fitted in well with the pint drinkers.

ETA: The point of my post?

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Sometime, get off the Okells/Bushy's or even the lager, and discover something different, even just for a change. Hops is offering that.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1