HOPs

Manxman1234

40 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I’m honestly amazed that this place is still trading , the owner looks like he really needs advice on trading on the island as doesn’t seem happy unless he taking swipes at other well run bars and their products, to make his own look better. Maybe a little bit of jealousy, although fair comment about looking like a charity shop 

IMG_1319.jpeg

That’s highly ironic as his bar really does look like what you’d find in the Crossroads Care furniture showroom. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thefella said:

That’s highly ironic as his bar really does look like what you’d find in the Crossroads Care furniture showroom. 

I think the crossroads care furniture shop might be offended. 

Yes sitting in a freezing cold shop window in a sofa that's arse fell out of it years ago drinking cold beer. No. Not for me even though the guy was very friendly. 

Much as I am not the greatest fan, I would prefer the more warmer climes of the grain and vine. 

5 hours ago, Thefella said:

Haha only the bits that are left over that no one buys lol..

I’ve been on once, decent range of ales, service was average , and definitely wasn’t a welcoming environment. Was like sitting in a bar that was closing down and it’s last night open 

4 hours ago, Auntie Depressant said:

From those screenshots it seems he also needs some advice on how to promote business through social media. Those posts are a car crash. 

Total car crash. I have noticed G&V are now pushing their craft beer after his comments so shot himself in the foot again as G&V really welcoming environment 

5 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Usually these type of establishments enjoy having some competition as it increases the general awareness of the product, the punters tend to share their business around to try other beers etc. Last time I went to Hops was months ago. Poor selection, freezing cold. Not been back since. Not sure where he gets 'mass produced guff' from either, as most of their beers in G&V rate very highly. Yes they do sell some mass produced stuff but that covers the clientele that don't like craft.

To me, sounds like bitterness as he's not getting much trade. Sad really, as he could make much more of it.

Exactly. Not everyone is a craft fan, so if a group people out and 2 like craft and 3 don’t, they will avoid HOPs

5 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Not a good look really is it.

G&V always seems busy when we go or walk past.  I guess he’s jealous because his own place never seems to have more than a handful of people in there

It looks life a few mates and more of a hobby than a business 

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think the crossroads care furniture shop might be offended. 

Yes sitting in a freezing cold shop window in a sofa that's arse fell out of it years ago drinking cold beer. No. Not for me even though the guy was very friendly. 

Much as I am not the greatest fan, I would prefer the more warmer climes of the grain and vine. 

Totally Agree, be comfier sitting on one of the new Douglas Corpy benches on the prom with a can , than in there

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

I would say Hops is possibly the least welcoming pub/bar on the island.  We felt like we had intruded on a private function (of six people) the one time we went.

One drink and left

Not just us then, the bar area reminded me of my grandads shed years ago and was a disorganised mess, zero organisation or logic to how it’s set up. 

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Still not been in Hops, but you're all making me want to.

Would still try it might just have been unlucky when was in. Always nice to see someone trying something different, although they are definitely poorly advised with this project and wrong approach to slag off competition, especially as they are successful competitors