HOPs

Manxman1234

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

The main problem for 'Hops' on MF is that it came to prominence due to Jack White support, Jack was confrontational in his early days and gathered deserved opprobrium for that stance, since then Jack has been a valuable contributor on   the hospitality ind. and we should value his contribution?

It may have some truth in it???

I've not been to Hops and apart from it's proximity to Orange Indya, not likely to? It is a 'Bar', nothing more nothing less, if it works for them, good, if not I'm sure there will be a queue of other tenants to try their luck in the position???

Probably a Nail Bar??? Hey! Acetone and tonic please!!!

Vape shop possibly?

I have not been in Hops myself. Being from Ramsey, rarely venture into Douglas for a drink given the logistics of going there and getting home, especially when we have enough decent pubs of our own, not least the Traf.

But the whole concept always seemed a bit strange. There’s a lot of comments on here re the place itself and the beer it sells. Very little on the cigar side of things ( I’m not a cigar smoker myself) which seemed to be one of its USP when it opened.

Anybody had any experience or have observations on the cigar thing?

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Fully agree. Between the owner and its consultant on here, they keep this active for all the wrong reasons. My suggestion would be to focus on their own business and not take shots at others in the trade or their customers.

Aside from the obnoxious social media profile. My basic assessment of quality based on a good level of travel over the last 20 years would be. If I fancied a nice cigar would I pay £50 for it to smoke in a back yard at the rear of a grubby Castle Street shop. Or would I pay £50 to smoke it on a rooftop terrace above Regent St overlooking some of the most expensive real estate in the world in a gentile environment? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thefella said:

Aside from the obnoxious social media profile. My basic assessment of quality based on a good level of travel over the last 20 years would be. If I fancied a nice cigar would I pay £50 for it to smoke in a back yard at the rear of a grubby Castle Street shop. Or would I pay £50 to smoke it on a rooftop terrace above Regent St overlooking some of the most expensive real estate in the world in a gentile environment? 

That’s Regent St London I assume, not Douglas?

• Haha 4

What’s orange indyia like? Not tried it yet.

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Excellent. Well worth a try. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. Orange naan is a must!

Thanks. Heard a few people say it’s nice. Will need to give it a go

1 hour ago, Tinpot said:

Very good.  Well worth a visit

46 minutes ago, Kopek said:

vvvv good.

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The food is great. The owners are great. But it's always cold and that puts us off. 

Cold, service poor, seats too close together, double camber on the ramp just inside is difficult for chair users, and the onion bhajis are the weirdest greasy texture and flavour I’ve ever had. Other than that the food is good.

Ive come to prefer Vellika’s Kitchen at the Milestone.

Cant cope with the noise and acoustic at Naadu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Cold, service poor, seats too close together, double camber on the ramp just inside is difficult for chair users, and the onion bhajis are the weirdest greasy texture and flavour I’ve ever had. Other than that the food is good.

Ive come to prefer Vellika’s Kitchen at the Milestone.

Cant cope with the noise and acoustic at Naadu.

Just shows how we are all different:  Velikas peel road is one of my least favourite Indian restaurants on the island, and Naadu is superb.

8 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Just shows how we are all different:  Velikas peel road is one of my least favourite Indian restaurants on the island, and Naadu is superb.

The food in all three is excellent, apart from the soggy, greasy, odd bhajis at Orange Indya.

But it’s not just food, it’s ambience. And, for me Vellika’s wins hands down. It has parking, easy level access, accessible loos, widely spaced tables, reasonable acoustics.

I fully understand that different people have different priorities.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Vape shop possibly?

I have not been in Hops myself. Being from Ramsey, rarely venture into Douglas for a drink given the logistics of going there and getting home, especially when we have enough decent pubs of our own, not least the Traf.

But the whole concept always seemed a bit strange. There’s a lot of comments on here re the place itself and the beer it sells. Very little on the cigar side of things ( I’m not a cigar smoker myself) which seemed to be one of its USP when it opened.

Anybody had any experience or have observations on the cigar thing?

I will comment on your question only. The rest in here is just a pile on and I’ve said I won’t get involved. 

Tobacco is very strictly regulated these days. One of the consequences of that is you’re not allowed to advertise it. 

If you want to know any more about the stock they carry, drop me a message and I will forward it on. I will then come back to you with their response. I know as a rough outline but do know they’re doing well on them and the stock is ever changing. 

Alternatively, if you’re ok with socials, drop them a message and they’ll be happy to advise you. 

• Haha 1

Despite taking the piss a bit when it opened I've been a few times and really like it. Great selection of drinks, lots that you can't get in other places here, and a good atmosphere. Had a chat with the landlord who seems decent and will deffo go back when I can. There's not much wrong with it, and if mismatched chairs is the biggest problem that people can come up with then I reckon he's doing alright.

• Like 2