HOPs

Manxman1234

27 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

According to this thread, there is massive footfall. There are loads of people just aimlessly walking up and down outside Hops like some sort of Zombie apocalypse. 

I must admit, I walked past that end of town yesterday and completely missed it. 

You are not alone.

42 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

must admit, I walked past that end of town yesterday and completely missed it. 

It’s just next to the pharmacy in that shop that’s been empty for ages since it was a (very short lived) clothes shop.

It doesn’t look empty, but it does look like an identikit craft beer bar. They’re all about the bare floor boards and the mismatched tables and chairs. I don’t mind the aesthetic tbh.

As for the flouncing, Jack White was previously very happy to explain how all Manx beer is shit and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Probably not the best position to be lecturing on others criticising a hospitality offering.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

It’s just next to the pharmacy in that shop that’s been empty for ages since it was a (very short lived) clothes shop.

It doesn’t look empty, but it does look like an identikit craft beer bar. They’re all about the bare floor boards and the mismatched tables and chairs. I don’t mind the aesthetic tbh.

As for the flouncing, Jack White was previously very happy to explain how all Manx beer is shit and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Probably not the best position to be lecturing on others criticising a hospitality offering.

Didn’t realise he also criticised Manx beers. He seems to have went quiet thankfully 

I’m all for respecting different views on here, my issue with him is claimed to know it all and yet demonstrated his lack of understanding of the island and the trade. 

• Thanks 1

My run in with the boy (and I admit others on the subject) was him reckoning there is no problem whatsoever with pubs and bars staying open until 3:30am.

Of course one side of that argument is folk having a quiet aperitif into the wee small hours, the other side is coked up piss-heads shouting and bawling their way home from 1886/Jaks at 4:00am on a Sunday morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

My run in with the boy (and I admit others on the subject) was him reckoning there is no problem whatsoever with pubs and bars staying open until 3:30am.

Of course one side of that argument is folk having a quiet aperitif into the wee small hours, the other side is coked up piss-heads shouting and bawling their way home from 1886/Jaks at 4:00am on a Sunday morning. 

Always a challenging one

People finishing work at 2am and going for a few ones to unwind after work could be acceptable, someone been in shots and an all day session is recipe for disaster. All depends on how well run the establishment is, and if they happy to serve until people fall over, or serve sensibly 

ive been in Edinburgh and can’t even go to an off-licence after 10pm with local laws, yet here can purchase 24 hours

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, Barlow said:

I don’t even have a problem with the drunks at 4am rolling home loudly. I do have a problem with the sorts who take on a flat on Castle Street or Victoria Street and then whine about the noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don’t even have a problem with the drunks at 4am rolling home loudly. I do have a problem with the sorts who take on a flat on Castle Street or Victoria Street and then whine about the noise.

Well I think wherever you choose to live other people should respect the fact that at 4am you might be wanting to sleep and behave accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I think wherever you choose to live other people should respect the fact that at 4am you might be wanting to sleep and behave accordingly.

A certain amount of noise is inevitable, regardless of respect. If you take on a flat round the corner from Jak’s and opposite a kebab shop you lose the right to whine about the noise.

It’s the same as the clowns in Manchester who moved in next door to a live music bar that had been there for donkeys years and then went and got it shut down as it was noisy. A music bar? Noisy? Who’d have thunk it?

• Like 2

Even people who've bought flats near Jaks and kebab shops are entitled to some occasional peace at 4:00am on a Sunday morning. But the shouty bastards go beyond the kebab shops, Some of that body stimulant doesn't wear off for hours after they've snarled their way home through the residential streets of Douglas

The opening hours need to go back to 1:00am. That was plenty.

(and to Sweet Fanny Adams, yes I know I have brought this up before. And guess what, I might even bring it up again should the occasion arise)

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Even people who've bought flats near Jaks and kebab shops are entitled to some occasional peace at 4:00am on a Sunday morning. But the shouty bastards go beyond the kebab shops, Some of that body stimulant doesn't wear off for hours after they've snarled their way home through the residential streets of Douglas

The opening hours need to go back to 1:00am. That was plenty.

(and to Sweet Fanny Adams, yes I know I have brought this up before. And guess what, I might even bring it up again should the occasion arise)

When were the opening hours last 1am?

Not in my lifetime