HOPs

Manxman1234

8 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Used to be a 1am cut off for entry, but not a 1am closing time. 

Need to go back around 23 years if want the old laws back, and at that point alcohol sales banned Sunday afternoons, 

What did they do in the supermarkets at the time ? Close off the alcohol aisle ??

18 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Safeway had the alcohol in a separate section (where subway went in much later) and on a Sunday they just pulled the shutters down.

At one time, yes. For a short period. But not throughout the 30+ years they were there. Only after they’d closed the cafe ( which is where they located the secure alcohol section ).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lethargy said:

I worked in Shoprite in 2000, and the aisles with booze in were roped off outwith the licensed hours.

That was the traditional method. Or the display shelves had pull down roller blinds. Shoprite, Liptons, Presto, Safeway, M&S, Coop, Shoprite, James Kissacks. Smaller places, like Moughtins, Collisters,  kept the alcohol behind the counter.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

That was the traditional method. Or the display shelves had pull down roller blinds. Shoprite, Liptons, Presto, Safeway, M&S, Coop, Shoprite, James Kissacks. Smaller places, like Moughtins, Collisters,  kept the alcohol behind the counter.

Paul Howard’s used to tie string tantalisingly across the bottles. You could see but you could not touch. 😀

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, Barlow said:

Even people who've bought flats near Jaks and kebab shops are entitled to some occasional peace at 4:00am on a Sunday morning. But the shouty bastards go beyond the kebab shops, Some of that body stimulant doesn't wear off for hours after they've snarled their way home through the residential streets of Douglas

Yes but unsocial shouty behaviour is not restricted to areas around Jaks and kebab shops in Douglas. Nor just to drunkards.

There are often gatherings at unsocial morning  hours around Ramsey beach. Because of the bay acting like an amphitheater in the stillness, the cackling  of this group.can be heard some way into the town itself. Not good.

Once you have been awoken at about 6 am it’s a bit hard to get back to sleep.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of “in the stillness”

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes but unsocial shouty behaviour is not restricted to areas around Jaks and kebab shops in Douglas. Nor just to drunkards.

There are often gatherings at unsocial morning  hours around Ramsey beach. Because of the bay acting like an amphitheater in the stillness, the cackling  of this group.can be heard some way into the town itself. Not good.

Once you have been awoken at about 6 am it’s a bit hard to get back to sleep.

Don’t live in a town then, there is always going to be noise.

The bad news is that in the country you get cows and sheep waking you up.

Surely the seagulls wake people up in Ramsey more than the odd occasion people are having a bit of fun?

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

Go for a run then. Better than sat on an anonymous forum moaning...

I’m sorry Mr equally anonymous I don’t understand .

I get woken up at 6 am by some inconsiderate people. Are you suggesting  that somehow going for a run would be the thing to do in those circumstances?

And if so why?

What I normally do is resign myself to the fact that my sleep time is over and make myself a cup of tea.

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Don’t live in a town then, there is always going to be noise.

The bad news is that in the country you get cows and sheep waking you up.

Surely the seagulls wake people up in Ramsey more than the odd occasion people are having a bit of fun?

Well I’m not sure these miscreants are having fun.Unless their idea of fun is being annoying!

There is plenty of fun to be had in Ramsey without being a nuisance to others.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of second sentence, second para