HOPs

Manxman1234

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You would have thought their mentor would have stressed the importance of sticking to your published opening hours.

Anyway nice to know that you find it convivial when open. Must get myself down there.

Except I’m not keen on rugby

Unfortunately their mentor knows as much about hospitality trade as Putin knows about democracy 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You would have thought their mentor would have stressed the importance of sticking to your published opening hours.

Anyway nice to know that you find it convivial when open. Must get myself down there.

Except I’m not keen on rugby

Some places when comfortable with their regulars and usual foot fall do pick and choose (Millers in Peel for example). OK once you're established I guess.

TVs are on but didn't find it intrusive really. The only other minor quibble would be keeping the front door shut as there was a draught!

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

This are some very random hours.  Especially if you go to the effort of checking when they claim to be open but it turns out they can’t be bothered

IMG_8087.jpeg

Good lord. That's not running a bar. That's a hobby for someone who couldn't give a  ....  for customers. 

You'd find  a better chance of getting a drink by knocking on my door than calling in there. 

How do the licencing court put up with I this kind of cavalier way of running a licenced premise.. No Designated officials  named etc etc 

Open when they  can be arsed, regardless of agreed opening times. 

The concept sounds OK but the way it is being operated is just a joke. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Are not the couple operating the  bar also holding down day jobs? So, perhaps, the bar is a hobby for now while they check out the viability of it being a permanent business.

Can't blame them for that.

It must be doing ok on friday and saturday evenings but is it as small as looks from the front window? Or is there more room in the back? Seems very small?

I think the point that is being made is that if you are 'dipping a cheeky toe in the water' so to speak. Or, another way of putting it is 'doing it a bit half arsed' then you'll never get a true picture of the viability of the business and if you should focus more on it, potentially quitting the day jobs, versus binning the whole thing off.

I will say though that I do like a good quality beer, and I'm happy to pay for it. I also like a rum or three now and again and again, will pay more for something decent. But if I'm having a quiet drink in a quiet bar and then they bang the rugby on I'm not going to be too happy. As stated earlier they need to decide if it's an up market lounge bar or the 'Front Porch V2.0'.

• Like 4

They must be paying a good bit out for rent, rates , heating and stock so an expensive hobby.    If they are not careful they will be both working full time to subsidise this experiment, I would not think there is a big enough population to furnish a niche business such as this.    Their mentor seems to have disappeared off the forum with his vast experience, his words, in this trade I would have thought he would have given them better advice.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reptar said:

As stated earlier they need to decide if it's an up market lounge bar or the 'Front Porch V2.0'.

is that a hint that they are currently there?

if it's a short lease to check out the market, then good luck to them.

i had intended to try out hops, before or after an  orange india visit but unfortunately, orange india didn't happen, so no hops!

i'd have been willing to pay over odds for a smokey/peaty scotch but maybe next time?

can you have a fag in the back yard or is it only for cigars 😃

Edited by Kopek

The utter bile on here for a small new business is embarrassing to the posters. All because they don't like what I have to say. Some seem to be actively willing it to fail. It doesn't make me change my opinion on things so it's all a bit wasted.

The reason for the 'odd' opening hours is they both work full time. I've stated it numerous times before.

It's not a hobby or a lifestyle business. They are trying to get it going but make sure they have enough income to live. Is that such a crime?

It was always the intention to open weekend hours. Oscars do it. Kikis have, until now anyway. Bottle Monkey the same. They were all financially viable. BM closing down wasn't down to the financial viability. They have been trialling other others with the world cup being on, to see how it would go. Lots of these type of businesses don't open during the week in the UK and beyond. Usually as the likes of the craft beer is stronger it's not something people drink when they have to work the next day. They don't have any intention of becoming a 'Front Porch 2' 🙄

They allow smoking in the back area too.

There's a little seating area at the back of the premises, just to the left of the bar (as you look in the front).

They're still doing ok and trading has been decent so far. Most of their business is coming from word of mouth recommendations.

I'd say they've come through phase 1 of their opening and are moving onto the next stage. They are also about to announce a Halloween event and something else next month.

Happy to answer any other questions. Won't be getting involved with trolls though, hence the reason I've spent so much time away from here. 

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Happy to answer any other questions. Won't be getting involved with trolls though, hence the reason I've spent so much time away from here. 

Why is there no designated official info above the door?  Is that not a legal requirement any more and are other places just displaying them as it’s been there historically?

Thanks

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Why is there no designated official info above the door?  Is that not a legal requirement any more and are other places just displaying them as it’s been there historically?

Thanks

They're waiting on it arriving. 

One of the owners is the Responsible Person (the new name for DO in the last update of the licensing).

There was also mention of them not being on the register but they've supplied the information. It's not updated by them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

They're waiting on it arriving. 

One of the owners is the Responsible Person (the new name for DO in the last update of the licensing).

There was also mention of them not being on the register but they've supplied the information. It's not updated by them.

Arriving from where?  I am 95 percent certain I could phone round local Sign makers today and have one by Wednesday.

honestly, it seems very unprofessional 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Arriving from where?  I am 95 percent certain I could phone round local Sign makers today and have one by Wednesday.

honestly, it seems very unprofessional 

Well I can honestly tell you that some of the sign makers here don't. I say this having had conversations with several of them today about something that's urgently required only to be fobbed off.

You're entitled to your opinion. You say it seems unprofessional. IMO they're anything but.

Edited by jackwhite