HOPs

Manxman1234

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We will definitely go back because I liked it. However my missus is more likely to be up for going back if;

It's warm and

There is some better wine.

I hope my comments are constructive. 

I absolutely think they are and well presented. 

I mentioned the door comment and, ahead of that, it had been closed all night. Not the first time I guess they've heard it and think they realised it themselves.

Seems wine is being worked on so guess it will be a work in progress. 

All fair comments and definitely constructive. They said to thank you for coming in.

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

They know were you live 🤪

Not 'bitter' though are you?

Tends to be more 'pale ale' these days 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

What is a ' Cortado' Kopek

I don't know what a Cortado Kopek is, probably a very cheap coffee???

As above, a small strong coffee with just a little milk. Like a small Macchiato .

In the Airport cafe a Macchiato comes in a big mug! More like a Latte? Not all the staff know how to make one!

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Tends to be more 'pale ale' these days 😉

He'll be pale when HnBs mafia track him down!!!

Regards wine in a Bar, I don't think the expectation is high? Most Pubs have very 'ordinaire' so not hard to improve on?

I got my daytime wines retail, Jamelles Rousanne from the Co op, a Spanish red from Tesco, forget its name but easy drinking, they were wines that I selected by taste rather than booze suppliers standard ordinaries, sales were not large so I didn't need to worry about mark up. A low profit service to customers.

In amongst all this there has to be a sense of perspective.

To me a beer with ABV of 11% is not really a beer. The taste is wiped out. Yes I enjoy a strong beer say up to 5 or 6%, whilst also  being able to appreciate a beer of lesser ABV.

It’s a bit like curry eaters bragging that they like a curry hotter than vindaloo (Chal or something like that  if I recall). More a test of endurance than appreciation. I am a madras man myself.

Anyway,  has anybody noticed that the red wine ABV has crept up from something like 12% to nearer 12.5 to 14 .5 % ABV over the last say 5 to 7 years. White wine also following this trend. Does make for a nicer glass

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

To me a beer with ABV of 11% is not really a beer. The taste is wiped out. Yes I enjoy a strong beer say up to 5 or 6%, whilst also  being able to appreciate a beer of lesser ABV.

It’s a bit like curry eaters bragging that they like a curry hotter than vindaloo (Chal or something like that  if I recall). More a test of endurance than appreciation. I am a madras man myself.

Anyway,  has anybody noticed that the red wine ABV has crept up from something like 12% to nearer 12.5 to 14 .5 % ABV over the last say 5 to 7 years. White wine also following this trend. Does make for a nicer glass

Doesn't work like that with beer

The only thing I can think of that might follow the example you give is a triple IPA. Because there are so many hops in it they just becomes pretty extreme, sweet usually.

With the likes of the imperial stouts that have been talked about here, they are usually well done (well I only trust certain breweries with them who do them extremely well) so the taste definitely is not wiped out. With craft beer, 5 to 6% is usually the starting point. Hops do have a couple below 5% now for example, looking at their menu (well squinting at the menu at this time!), but of the 8 they have on tap, 6 of them are over 6.5%. All extremely good tbh. 

If yopu're a cheapskate, you can  buy your girlfriend a small glass of a 14% and she'll still be, well, appreciative???       Just joking!

True though a high alcohol beer is like half a bottle of wine, your going to feel drunk???

Some wines have always been hi alco, 13/14%, the better will not have their taste affected but a deliberately hi alco, Aussie?, can lose some of it's flavours.

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

Doesn't work like that with beer

The only thing I can think of that might follow the example you give is a triple IPA. Because there are so many hops in it they just becomes pretty extreme, sweet usually.

With the likes of the imperial stouts that have been talked about here, they are usually well done (well I only trust certain breweries with them who do them extremely well) so the taste definitely is not wiped out. With craft beer, 5 to 6% is usually the starting point. Hops do have a couple below 5% now for example, looking at their menu (well squinting at the menu at this time!), but of the 8 they have on tap, 6 of them are over 6.5%. All extremely good tbh. 

Each to their own I guess. Enjoy.

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Some of this has happened because of customer demands. Several years ago when German wines were first choice for many new wine drinkers wines were only around 8-10 %

Gradually wines from warmer wine growing areas developed and warmer riper  grapes means more sugar in the grapes and more sugar produces more alcohol. 

The increases over the recent years have been brought about by global warming hence warmer vineyards producing grapes with higher sugar levels = more alcohol 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I was wondering about the effects of the high alcohol content in the craft ales.  I suppose it's meant to be consumed slowly with appreciation for the different qualities on offer.