HOPs

Manxman1234

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes indeed, myself and ex wife were happy to sit in with a litre of Leibfraulmich

You're lucky, my ex and I used to sit around with a litre or two of house red.............. and she used to throw glass ashtrays at my head!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes indeed, myself and ex wife were happy to sit in with a litre of Leibfraulmich between us without it being even chilled.

Glad to say I’ve become more sophisticated and graduated to Asti Spumanti

Blooming heck! You obviously haven't improved with age much. :D Just for clarity, wine choice. :)

Edited by Lilly

48 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Anyway,  has anybody noticed that the red wine ABV has crept up from something like 12% to nearer 12.5 to 14 .5 % ABV over the last say 5 to 7 years. White wine also following this trend. Does make for a nicer glass

The rise in alcohol content has been going on for much longer than that I think - I can remember discussing it decades ago.  Here's a WaPo article from 2016 that includes data going back to the early 90s showing a steady rise even then.

Partly it's the shift in taste as lighter German wines became less popular being replaced by heavier ones from the 'New World' etc.  Again that's 30-40 years old at least.  Partly it's global warming meaning that even the same wines from the same vineyards may be stronger because of more sugar in the grapes.  And that in turn means that sometimes the strength on the bottle may be an underestimate.

Of course high strength beer are a new invention either - think of barley wine - and they have a long history as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_ale

Though the fashion for unlikely flavours may be more modern - but even that has precedents such as spiced ales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

They know were you live 🤪

Not 'bitter' though are you?

Nothing to do with me it was the Virus that got into the Spar system and stopped their tills working, then spread to H+B main system. They relied on Computers totally and did not have written recipes because of that.

Not bitter at all, I could not care less 

• Like 1