HOPs

Manxman1234

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Partly it's global warming meaning that even the same wines from the same vineyards may be stronger because of more sugar in the grapes.

It's going to become an issue for certain appellations such as Bordeaux, where ABV is stipulated as part of the rules (think it's max 15 or 15.5). They're already closing in on that. They're not able to unnaturally alter it either, under current rules of the appellation, so in a very hot, dry year the ABV will be higher (can't irrigate vines, can't tinker with it in the fermentation etc.). Only way to go would be to change the rules, otherwise in some years output would be reduced. 

The appellation states a minimum of 10.5 % but I don't think there is a maximum stated. The producers certainly don't want to push the abv too high as commercially it hits sales as consumers are generally looking to cut alcohol  consumption rather than increase it. 

11 hours ago, Lilly said:

I was wondering about the effects of the high alcohol content in the craft ales.  I suppose it's meant to be consumed slowly with appreciation for the different qualities on offer.

Yeah. 

Some people think it's a challenge!

I sat with a couple last night and either shared them or took a lot of time. 

At that sort of strength they tend to only be sold in 1/3 of a pint too, which is a good thing.

Edited by jackwhite

27 minutes ago, emesde said:

The appellation states a minimum of 10.5 % but I don't think there is a maximum stated. The producers certainly don't want to push the abv too high as commercially it hits sales as consumers are generally looking to cut alcohol  consumption rather than increase it. 

I was there this year for a wine tour, there's a maximum and the châteaux are concerned about it sadly 😥 

ETA: the upper limit may just be for white Bordeaux 

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring
Addition

On 10/14/2023 at 9:26 AM, jackwhite said:

Yeah. 

Some people think it's a challenge!

I sat with a couple last night and either shared them or took a lot of time. 

At that sort of strength they tend to only be sold in 1/3 of a pint too, which is a good thing.

Spent a pleasant evening in Hops watching the England match. I bought a big can of 12% Rumy Imp Stout. Wish it was in 330ml! It was a challenge. Got me to the start of the second half. Then had to buy someone a little tamer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Nah.  It’s just something @The Phantom made up to try and make a funny about somewhere he has probably never been.

I must have missed the bit about 1886 being an aspirational place to visit.  Is the ambience, clientele, decor or artisanal products that make it the pinnacle of the Manx social scene? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I must have missed the bit about 1886 being an aspirational place to visit.  Is the ambience, clientele, decor or artisanal products that make it the pinnacle of the Manx social scene? 

They have bouncers at the door.  That must mean that it must be very difficult to get in and exclusive.  Right?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They have bouncers at the door.  That must mean that it must be very difficult to get in and exclusive.  Right?

They need someone to ensure you can't get in unless you're a Chav, drug dealer or Slag. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1