RAAC concrete on Isle of Man

Manx Bean

23 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Is there any?  Has any politician actually asked, or are they all too busy enjoying their 3 month recess?

According to Manx Radio three days ago: DESC [is] 'not aware' of any schools made using concrete 'prone to collapse'.

And of course Jason Moorhouse has asked some questions.   You needed to ask?

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Funny how it only seems to be schools that have been affected

I heard (on BBC I think) over the weekend that it's also some hospitals and care homes, as well as some private commercial buildings from the same era.

Wasn't the old Royal hospital in Liverpool made of it and the primary reason it had to be replaced? 

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Funny how it only seems to be schools that have been affected

It's not just schools other public buildings such as hospitals and court buildings are affected.  But there are more schools than there are of those, so defects are more likely to happen at a school.

The main problem isn't so much with the system itself, but that the appropriate maintenance hasn't been done over the years.  But as the Isle of Man Government has always be famous for its diligent maintenance, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I heard (on BBC I think) over the weekend that it's also some hospitals and care homes, as well as some private commercial buildings from the same era.

Wasn't the old Royal hospital in Liverpool made of it and the primary reason it had to be replaced? 

Royal was at end of useful life. Not aware of aerated concrete. Lots of asbestos. No longer meets modern standards. Part of redevelopment of the health campus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to Manx Radio three days ago: DESC [is] 'not aware' of any schools made using concrete 'prone to collapse'.

And of course Jason Moorhouse has asked some questions.   You needed to ask?

Of course both Jason Moorehouse and Tim Glover will be delighted if Castle Rushen HS was made with RAAC components, then they could justifiably step up their campaign for a new school. 

• Like 1