RAAC concrete on Isle of Man

Manx Bean

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

Royal was at end of useful life. Not aware of aerated concrete. Lots of asbestos. No longer meets modern standards. Part of redevelopment of the health campus.

I've been going to the Royal yearly for over 20 years. (Since back when they still had a smoking room on every other floor.😂)

When I first heard anything about it (around 2013ish?), everyone was talking about the concrete structure being the main motivating factor. IIRC the phrase "sick concrete" was being used, but maybe that's nothing to do with RAAC. That it was also no longer fit for purpose seemed to be a bonus. That's how I remember it anyway, from chatting with my consultant, nurses and other patients.  

13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No description available.

That's dreadful! 

My father was an avid Popular Science and Popular Mechanics reader. He kept back issues in the downstairs loo, so I used to read them too, usually trying to get out of helping with the dishes after dinner.

4 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I've been going to the Royal yearly for over 20 years. (Since back when they still had a smoking room on every other floor.😂)

When I first heard anything about it (around 2013ish?), everyone was talking about the concrete structure being the main motivating factor. IIRC the phrase "sick concrete" was being used, but maybe that's nothing to do with RAAC. That it was also no longer fit for purpose seemed to be a bonus. That's how I remember it anyway, from chatting with my consultant, nurses and other patients.  

Sick concrete is a wholly different issue. It’s when the rebar ( steel reinforcing in the concrete ) rusts and expands causing stress in the concrete, which can lead to cracks, flaking or fracture/failure.

The plan to replace certainly predates 2013. Think it started as far back as 1999.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Sick concrete is a wholly different issue. It’s when the rebar ( steel reinforcing in the concrete ) rusts and expands causing stress in the concrete, which can lead to cracks, flaking or fracture/failure.

The plan to replace certainly predates 2013. Think it started as far back as 1999.

Thanks. So it is a different issue. 

The plan does predate 2013, but I think that's the year it was given the go-ahead which had everyone excited and talking about it. 

A friend of mine who worked around building sites often witnessed weak mix concrete being used by cowboy builders. Sand was a lot cheaper than cement and corners were cut. Why use three bags of best Portland when one would do. As long as the the concrete lasted long enough then nobody would be around to take the rap. RAAC is only half the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

It was very obvious in the concrete cladding of the latter Summerland alongside the MER tracks, big areas of the corrugated concrete facing had flaked off exposing the rusting rebar within.