Zurich Pulling out. Of Manx Car Insurance

Major Rushen

I don’t believe it……

Residents contacted Manx Radio with concern over inability to renew policy

Residents across the Isle of Man can no longer use Zurich for car insurance.

The firm has confirmed it’s pulled out of the Manx market for standard car insurance customers.

The decision is being taken due to what a Zurich spokesperson says are ‘regular reviews’ in the company’s ‘underwriting approach for every risk factor’.

The Isle of Man features among those areas, and as a result the insurer is no longer offering new policies to Manx residents.

Edited by Major Rushen

37 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Ah well.

There are plenty of good local places and this is going to become more common with UK firms.

Do you really think the "local" insurance places insure the risk themselves?

FFS they are just brokers.

Jesus H Christ, I know the islands schools used to fill children with nonsense about how good the island is/ was but, come on, have a think about what you just said.

ETA

I don't really think you locals get how bad this can get for the rock's residents  re Credit Cards, general Banking and now Insurance.

The lack of a national speed limit I would wager is the main problem for this latest insurance thing  and even if it is not it will be at some point soon.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Jesus H Christ, I know the islands schools used to fill children with nonsense about how good the island is/ was but, come on, have a think about what you just said.

ETA

I don't really think you locals get how bad this can get for the rock's residents  re Credit Cards, general Banking and now Insurance.

The lack of a national speed limit I would wager is the main problem for this latest insurance thing  and even if it is not it will be at some point soon.

Do we know the reason?  Suspect it is to do with regulation and crossborder trading for financial institutions.  Zurich have an office here, but does it have anything to do with local insurance?

• Like 2

I had quite a few issues renewing my household insurance earlier this year.  The previous insurer, Aviva, would not renew.  A couple of new insurers were found to quote,  but I had to give all kinds of info, like the date of construction (an old Manx cottage that I suspect was built as shack for the workers on the estate).  Eventually, I provided what I could, with caveats as to accuracy.

The interesting thing was one insurer invited to quote wanted a remotely monitored alarm system.  I asked the broker to forget about that line of enquiry as they clearly did not understand the specific risk to the IOM. 

I have never had a claim. 

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Doubt it.

The issue will be cross-border finance issues and the profit levels here not being worth it.

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I had quite a few issues renewing my household insurance earlier this year.  The previous insurer, Aviva, would not renew.

I’m surprised, Aviva have just renewed mine. And Aviva have always been better at understanding the offshore islands market, e.g. not having IPT.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Doubt it.

The issue will be cross-border finance issues and the profit levels here not being worth it.

I’m surprised, Aviva have just renewed mine. And Aviva have always been better at understanding the offshore islands market, e.g. not having IPT.

I will check in case I am giving Aviva a bad name. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I had quite a few issues renewing my household insurance earlier this year.  The previous insurer, Aviva, would not renew.  A couple of new insurers were found to quote,  but I had to give all kinds of info, like the date of construction (an old Manx cottage that I suspect was built as shack for the workers on the estate).  Eventually, I provided what I could, with caveats as to accuracy.

The interesting thing was one insurer invited to quote wanted a remotely monitored alarm system.  I asked the broker to forget about that line of enquiry as they clearly did not understand the specific risk to the IOM. 

I have never had a claim. 

Strange, I’m with aviva & got renewed no problem, checked with a few others like NFU, Tower & Aviva were cheapest by c£140

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

ETA

Are you a bit thick?