Zurich Pulling out. Of Manx Car Insurance

Major Rushen

43 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I had a fairly significant hike in premium for my motorhome insurance a couple of years ago, so trawled the market and discovered this company.

They say they can offer island dwellers lower premiums because of the risk factors involved.

I managed to more than halve the premium I’d been quoted by my previous insurer.

They have a fairly decent app that you can use to manage your documents and account too.

A firm I used to use was Iron Traders. Strange name but they would insure, at a good premium, all sorts of travellers conversions.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Whilst on the subject of insurance I have just discovered that the Isle of Man bank gold card travel insurance in no good for me and indeed most of us. Been travelling for years thinking that I had valid travel insurance. 

Because I travel in my motorhome I do not pre book hotel accommodation therefore I am not covered.  If you go across to stay with relatives, have a heart attack.  Tough luck repatriation costs are down to you. Apparently this applies to most travel insurance. 

This is not directed at you, but it always amazes me how many people will happily indulge in many risk factors for heart attacks or other potentially fatal diseases without a care in the world - but can't imagine visiting another country (even the UK) for a few days without being insured against the full cost every conceivable health eventuality.

To me the significant risk of life changing disease or dieing early at some indistinguishable point in the future is something I'd much rather try and avoid than the very unlikely financial difficulty that would occur if it happened on the select few days of the year when I'm away from home.

Travel insurance, like almost all insurance, is a con.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Kestrel isn’t local. It’s just a broker. The policies are written off island. Even the Manxman policies.

Same applies to CTH @A fool and his money.....

I knew CTH were only a broker, they've often used Tower with my policies in the past.

Do you remember when every man and his dog were brokers for Tower? A lot of businesses were. The garage where I got my car fixed were, they'd give you their 10% (or thereabouts)discount for being a customer. I guess financial regulation put paid to that one?

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not so sure on that anymore...if you're from the island and have to go on a ward in the UK (after A&E)...the meter starts running and you end up paying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58462421

16 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Slightly related to car insurance.

Local brokers seem to ask about convictions in the last ten years.  By UK law most convictions are spent after five years and can’t legally be used to inflate a premium.  Is it right that the local brokers still hold an offence from eight years ago against a relative (legally, not morally)

Insurance companies tend to make it up as they go along. There can scarcely be a more self-important industry.

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Not so sure on that anymore...if you're from the island and have to go on a ward in the UK (after A&E)...the meter starts running and you end up paying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58462421

Like every other country in the world then, can't see the problem. It's either a risk you take or you're free to buy insurance.

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

To a degree, you may be right, but I have had experience of a relative dying suddenly whilst on holiday.  IIRC, the costs were around £20k to go through all the stuff (post mortem, my flights to go out there, repatriation of the body etc) and that was in 1989. 

Consequently, I always arrange travel insurance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To a degree, you may be right, but I have had experience of a relative dying suddenly whilst on holiday.  IIRC, the costs were around £20k to go through all the stuff (post mortem, my flights to go out there, repatriation of the body etc) and that was in 1989. 

Consequently, I always arrange travel insurance. 

That's fair enough, it's your choice - and you're basing it on previous experience which is a very rational and sensible thing to do. I think if I was in your position I'd do the same. Once bitten twice shy and all that.

28 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Slightly related to car insurance.

Local brokers seem to ask about convictions in the last ten years.  By UK law most convictions are spent after five years and can’t legally be used to inflate a premium.  Is it right that the local brokers still hold an offence from eight years ago against a relative (legally, not morally)

Think they’re more careful than that. You show me in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and schedules, where points, endorsements or disqualifications are rehabilitated, exempt from being asked about, or from requiring to be disclosed to a motor insurer.

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Think they’re more careful than that. You show me in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and schedules, where points, endorsements or disqualifications are rehabilitated, exempt from being asked about, or from requiring to be disclosed to a motor insurer.

Do points stay on your licence forever? Like, say someone got 3 points for driving like an idiot (speeding) when they were 19, are they still being punished for it at the age of 53?

50 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not really...it's all about the lack of the reciprocal agreement we used to have with the UK...sneaked in.

Yeah I get that. My point is we don't have a reciprocal health agreement with any other country in the world, why do we need one with the UK?

Of far greater concern is the undemocratic curtailment of our freedoms within the EU if you ask me.

They may come off your licence after a period, but they remain on your driving record for ever. Insurance is still a contract of the utmost good faith. The Insurer is entitled to ask, and the person is obliged to disclose points and endorsements/disqualifications, for whatever period the insurer sees fit. 10 years isn’t unusual.

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Do points stay on your licence forever? Like, say someone got 3 points for driving like an idiot (speeding) when they were 19, are they still being punished for it at the age of 53?

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not sure as I've never had any, I think they disappear after 3 or 5 years though.

• Thanks 1