Zurich Pulling out. Of Manx Car Insurance

Major Rushen

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Unless you make a claim, at which point the gloves come off and any good faith is soon forgotten, to be replaced with any reason, however tenuous, immoral or ridiculous, to avoid paying out.

You misunderstand. The good faith is required in only one direction. For obvious reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Think they’re more careful than that. You show me in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and schedules, where points, endorsements or disqualifications are rehabilitated, exempt from being asked about, or from requiring to be disclosed to a motor insurer.

There are many places online stating the below.  A local broker is demanding that anything between five and ten years be declared and has put in writing that a premium is high due to a conviction from eight years ago.

I am curious why and if Manx law is different to UK

How long do I need to declare a drug driving conviction to insurers?

A drug driving conviction will need to be declared to insurers for a period of 5 years from the date you were convicted of the drug driving offence.

All driving licence endorsements have a 5 year rehabilitation period under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 before they are classed as 'spent'.

When convictions become spent you are no longer required to declare them to insurance companies when asked about convictions while obtaining insurance quotes.

The 5 year rehabilitation period will still apply even if the endorsement in question only remains on your driving licence for 4 years as is the case for being in charge of a motor vehicle while having a drug in your system above the legal limit.”

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They may come off your licence after a period, but they remain on your driving record for ever. Insurance is still a contract of the utmost good faith. The Insurer is entitled to ask, and the person is obliged to disclose points and endorsements/disqualifications, for whatever period the insurer sees fit. 10 years isn’t unusual.

I am not sure that is true in the Uk

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

Whilst on the subject of insurance I have just discovered that the Isle of Man bank gold card travel insurance in no good for me and indeed most of us. Been travelling for years thinking that I had valid travel insurance. 

Because I travel in my motorhome I do not pre book hotel accommodation therefore I am not covered.  If you go across to stay with relatives, have a heart attack.  Tough luck repatriation costs are down to you. Apparently this applies to most travel insurance. 

Same with HSBC .. Doesn't cover day trips ( 2  nights minimum )and also doesn't cover if you do not have pre booked accommodation. 

Edited by mad_manx

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not so sure on that anymore...if you're from the island and have to go on a ward in the UK (after A&E)...the meter starts running and you end up paying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58462421

Assuming that she is a British national couldn't she have just changed her address to a UK address ( friend /family ) and  swapped to a local GP.

As far as I am aware there is no minimum residency for entitlement to NHS care for returning  Brits .

You just need evidence that you are back in the UK like a tenancy agreement/ letter from landlord etc  

Edited by mad_manx

5 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Isn’t that the same for nearly all travel

insurance?  You also have to be a certain distance from home so aren’t always covered in Liverpool, Belfast etc

It depends. Mine’s with Rossborough and it’s if I’m away from my “home area”. For UK residents they define this as the UK, but for IOM residents they define it as the IOM.

Trips within my home area must include two nights pre-booked accommodation. Trips elsewhere- including the UK-must just be pre-booked travel. I’d say pre-booked ferry travel with a motor home would count.

Read the wording carefully. The wording on mine is garbled as they define the UK as including the IOM, but then define the home area separately.

Always important to read the wording.

image.thumb.png.79fd34ff5a76adcd32fcc14b40052afb.png
image.thumb.png.da2943d9aeb31a3cb6441d24381af0ea.png

Edited by Ringy Rose

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not so sure on that anymore...if you're from the island and have to go on a ward in the UK (after A&E)...the meter starts running and you end up paying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58462421

That's not what that news item says.  It's nothing to do with where you receive the treatment, providing it's required by an emergency condition.  It's to do with how long the treatment is for - there's a limit of three months under the reciprocal health agreement - or at least there was when the poor woman got stuck in the UK with something that went on for longer.  Mind you it's possible that a lot of travel insurance policies will have an upper time limit on treatment as well.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's not what that news item says.  It's nothing to do with where you receive the treatment, providing it's required by an emergency condition.  It's to do with how long the treatment is for - there's a limit of three months under the reciprocal health agreement - or at least there was when the poor woman got stuck in the UK with something that went on for longer.  Mind you it's possible that a lot of travel insurance policies will have an upper time limit on treatment as well.

Hasn’t the reciprocal agreement just been renegotiated to 6 months, from 3?

Any loss of competition is a bad thing, Aviva underwrite policies for a lot of brokers, I’m fairly certain that most of the Government vehicles are insured with Aviva, or at least they were.

I’m currently with CTH who underwrite the policy from Tower/RSA less than Tower can do it themselves, no idea how that works. I can’t believe how cheap insurance is, especially when you speak to those who have had a bump recently, hundreds in car hire, weeks to get their vehicle fixed as parts on back order, final claim ends up being thousands for the smallest repairs.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Hasn’t the reciprocal agreement just been renegotiated to 6 months, from 3?

I wasn't sure, but that now appears to be the case:

Reciprocal Healthcare Arrangement 2023

The Reciprocal Healthcare Arrangement (RHA), between the Isle of Man and the UK, has been updated and extends the period of free emergency health care to six months.

Previously residents in the UK who required emergency medical treatment would receive their treatment at no cost, if they took ill within three months of their arrival.

Residents will now be covered should they fall ill within six months of arriving in the UK.

The RHA extends both ways, meaning visitors to the Island from the UK will also receive free emergency medical care if they fall ill within six months of arrival.

It also makes it clear that this lady's problem was due to the length of her stay in England (caused by the illness) rather than the length of the treatment itself.  She was also probably unlucky in that various Covid lockdowns may have delayed her repatriation to the Island.

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wasn't sure, but that now appears to be the case:

Reciprocal Healthcare Arrangement 2023

The Reciprocal Healthcare Arrangement (RHA), between the Isle of Man and the UK, has been updated and extends the period of free emergency health care to six months.

Previously residents in the UK who required emergency medical treatment would receive their treatment at no cost, if they took ill within three months of their arrival.

Residents will now be covered should they fall ill within six months of arriving in the UK.

The RHA extends both ways, meaning visitors to the Island from the UK will also receive free emergency medical care if they fall ill within six months of arrival.

It also makes it clear that this lady's problem was due to the length of her stay in England (caused by the illness) rather than the length of the treatment itself.  She was also probably unlucky in that various Covid lockdowns may have delayed her repatriation to the Island.

I’m confused. Happens a lot I know but the huge fuss when the reciprocal arrangement ended with everyone having to take out medical insurance to travel to the U.K.  Is that all over now and why have I not heard about it. Has the change not been publicised? 

19 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m confused. Happens a lot I know but the huge fuss when the reciprocal arrangement ended with everyone having to take out medical insurance to travel to the U.K.  Is that all over now and why have I not heard about it. Has the change not been publicised? 

The 3 months (now 6) were not for treatment, but for the trip.  So if you went to the UK, were there for two months and then ended up in hospital for another two months, then you'd go over the allowance. 

I also don't think it covered repatriation to the Isle, which could work out quite expensive if they charter a plane. 

Either way, just get Annual Travel insurance and check the small print carefully.  A plain vanilla policy will cover most eventualities and trips, I then bolt on any additional cover if required for a specific trip.  If for instance going to the US, some shithole country, snowsports, some other extreme/adventure sport, which bumps the policy up significantly if covered annually but isn't too bad to bolt on for a week here or there. 

22 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That's because the RHA never ended, despite Eddie Teare's best efforts.  It was renegotiated so it no longer included a UK payment to the island as they suddenly realised that it wasn't the 1950s any more and there weren't large numbers of British tourists needing treatment.  Teare and co wanted to use this as an excuse to 'save' money (ie make the Manx pay for something they used to get for free).