Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Somewhere in Sheffield cancelled his gig last year after people moaned 

Sounds fair enough to me if this is the one you mean, although they shouldn't really have booked him in the first place. He was free to find an independent venue in Sheffield to put the show on. 

Edited by La Colombe

She plays on her intelligence/ignorance (delete as applicable) to make money. And it seems to work out just fine for her, as it does for every single person who decides to go down that road. After all, no matter what shit you make up, there's always enough nutters who will back you up (see Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, and more, many many more...) 

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Please note The Manx Legion, where we are talking about is not the Royal British Legion. Two entirely different organizations.

I have to say I never realised this either (nor did Cllr Bennett from his remarks) - I always assumed they were affiliated in some way.  But the Legion seem to be a separate organisation that is slightly older than the RBL (1918 v 1921) and not a charity either, just a social club.

Whether the Legion realised who they were getting is another matter.  The booking wasn't made by them and say its a "private non-profit making function which is supporting two veteran charities on the island, Heroes on the Water and Rock2Recovery".  Only the first of these is a Manx charity (the second is based in Exeter) and I assume it's those people at Port Soderick, though I couldn't find much to link them to this event.

I was quite surprised to see her actually listed as doing a gig here, I would’ve thought she’d have regarded the IOM as some sort of backwater. If she doesn’t do a gig here and then rip the back out of the Isle of Man at some point in the near future I’ll be very surprised. I don’t actually mind her views, probably because I don’t take anyone’s views that literally, somewhere in the middle is the truth and all that jazz.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

the Villa used to have Roy Chubby Brown shows, what’s the fucking difference?

The Villa had Jim Davidson last year too.  About as funny as a colonoscopy, but if a venue wants to book him and people want to pay real actual money to see him then I don’t care either.

Likewise if a venue doesn’t want to book him then I’m very very cool with that too.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know if anyone has seen the amount of comments on IOM Newspapers website regarding this story. Coupled with other remarks min social media, I find it amazing and to some extent concerning, that people are really up in arms over this, but people won’t do anything regarding the erosion of public services, the shenanigans of our civil servants, and our politicos. The Rosalind Ransom payout didn’t get as much newspaper comments. In some respects it’s a shame that people don’t get as angry regarding these issues and other issues affecting the island and how these affairs are being handled. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The Villa had Jim Davidson last year too.  About as funny as a colonoscopy, but if a venue wants to book him and people want to pay real actual money to see him then I don’t care either.

Likewise if a venue doesn’t want to book him then I’m very very cool with that too.

Personal taste over Jim Davidson and freedom of choice over whether anybody wishes to go and watch. Unless we can only go and see IOMG approved entertainment and comedians.