Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Personal taste over Jim Davidson and freedom of choice over whether anybody wishes to go and watch. Unless we can only go and see IOMG approved entertainment and comedians. 

It's getting to something when the woke-ish mob decide who should be allowed to speak at a sold out event. Maybe they should be asked who should be allowed to speak in public.

ps for avoidance of doubt, I will not be at The Manx Legion this evening and have no intention of being there. Certainly not to see Ms Hopkins, but most definitely not to join in with any baying mob (ie lefty fascists)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Strange that this politician attacking how people use their free speech has drawn less criticism here despite the obvious hypocrisy -  https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/where-do-we-draw-the-line-between-criticism-and-toxicity/

To be fair, he is stating his concern at the anonymous vitriol, which of course isn't freedom of speech.

I'm not sure where you see hypocrisy in this, it's certainly not obvious.

As he said, he was more than happy to allow people to air their voice during his 20 years of Manx Radio on various shows.

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:

To be fair, he is stating his concern at the anonymous vitriol, which of course isn't freedom of speech. 

He’s also posted on here since 2004 which is an odd thing to do for a man who claims to not like the views of anonymous people all of a sudden. I’d have thought that the best way to avoid anonymous vitriol would be not to spend nearly 20 years contributing to a forum where most other people are anonymous. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Bottom line here is if you don’t like her then don’t go. Stop trying to police what other people want to do

What if they were hosting someone who reckoned we should kill all white people? Or that it was a good thing when old people drowned?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Jim Davidson became famous in the mid 1970's when shows like 'Love thy Neighbour, 'Mind your language' and even 'The Black and White Minstral Show' were top TV shows.

Different world.

My mother was a keen watcher of the B&WMS in its day, on account of Dai Francis (the Welsh baritone).

My mother walked in from the kitchen one evening to see Dai Francis (in civvies, as it were) on a chat show. She didn't realise it was Dai Francis because a) he wasn't singing at that point and, b) he wasn't blacked up. Towards the end of the show he burst into song and my mother said what a brilliant singer this fella is.... he sounds just like Dai Francis! My Dad howled with laughter.

Aye, different times.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Free speech may be a right, but, with power comes responsibility etc.

As a result, there's a whole list of reasons it might not be as free as you think.

Hopkins promised to run around London naked with a sausage up her bottom if Sadiq Khan was elected.

I believe she's still yet to get around to it.

I can provide a sausage if requested , a Matheson's smoked is what i had in mind 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

I think you’ll find that Bernard Manning is dead Mr Current Affairs…

the corporation did very well out of Roy Chubby Browns performances at the villa marina , before it was transfered to government    to quote the councillors of the day , Stay away if you are easily  offended ,  I am afraid Woke has taken over the city fathers ! 

• Like 2

Shit.... I want tickets... I think Katie's got a great sense of humour and if you don't like it you can get crackin'. I hope she has a great evening. Typical comments are indicative of how unfriendly IoM can be.... flourish come to mind?

Mr. Sausages, I do hope you have a great evening. From me, thru you, give her my very best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I’m really looking forward to it. She’s going to say things. Horrible things. And it’s going to make me feel good. I’ll be on such a high walking home. Can’t wait. 

Do report back Mr S!

Definitely  not my cuppa tea but, there again, I won't be going.  That is not being woke, just that there is nothing entertaining about listening to some so inflated with their own self-importance that they feel they have an 'act' worth peddling that has no humour, even if it could be termed black humour.  If others want to go, that's fine.

Never liked Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning or Roy Chubby Brown, just not funny even in the 70s when what was said was more socially acceptable.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do report back Mr S!

Definitely  not my cuppa tea but, there again, I won't be going.  That is not being woke, just that there is nothing entertaining about listening to some so inflated with their own self-importance that they feel they have an 'act' worth peddling that has no humour, even if it could be termed black humour.  If others want to go, that's fine.

Never liked Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning or Roy Chubby Brown, just not funny even in the 70s when what was said was more socially acceptable.  

I won’t judge you on the basis of whether you like the likes of Katie Hopkins, Chubby Brown, Bernard Manning. Or even whether you liked or disliked Benny Hill - many thought he was boring, offensive and sexist, whilst others loved him. Personal preferences and we live in a free world. Unless I am mistaken, unless comedians break the rules of taste, decency, offensive material or commit criminal offences, which I don’t think happened. 

Incidentally haven’t we had a debate about Miss Isle of Man - this is seen by some as woke, offending women and isn’t inclusive, treating women differently. 

Edited by 2112