Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Like many of your comments, this isn't fact. You've no idea what she has or hasn't done. All you're doing is dressing it up as fact when it's nothing of the sort.

You seem to get very confused often. But it is a fact. Energy FM has not yet published anything which contradicts Hopkins claims or which comes from the manager of the legion denying what was apparently said and attributed to her. I assume you know what facts are? They aren’t things you make up on an anonymous internet forum from an anonymous account. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Even if she now comes out on her own accord to deny making those claims there will be people who will think she has been forced into it by DBC.

It’s doubtful they would. In fact it would add an awful lot of validity to claims that what is claimed by Hopkins is false. 

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I assume you know what facts are?

No,I don't, but then I'm also not posting my opinion as fact either.

2 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

They aren’t things you make up on an anonymous internet forum from an anonymous account. 

LOL.  Projection much?

4 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

She makes the allegations very clearly and to a mainstream news source in an interview with a known news reporter. On that basis yes I’d say that it’s very credible to assume the allegations are true. 

You believe it BECAUSE someone said it to the press?! Ffs dude.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

But after making the statement just after 8:30 in this 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=964388064863982&ref=sharing

If she’s not prepared to publicly deny the claims made then maybe people will assume that they’re actually true and that she was threatened no matter what Watson or Bentley might say? 

Not for the first time, you're claiming that someone said what you wanted them to, rather than what they actually did say.  Hopkins doesn't even claim that the Legion's manager[1]  told her that the councillors had threatened her.  She seems just to assume that it had happened from public statements.  Which didn't say anything of the sort - she's another who thinks people say what they want them to say.

[1]  Who she patronisingly refers to as 'lovely Linda' - clearly the plebs don't deserve surnames.  Similarly both councillors are mentioned by their first names and insulted for their physical appearance (if you're going to go down that road, I'd advise sitting in more flattering lighting).  As ever, the tone is of bitching in the infants' school playground.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not for the first time, you're claiming that someone said what you wanted them to, rather than what they actually did say.  Hopkins doesn't even claim that the Legion's manager[1]  told her that the councillors had threatened her.  She seems just to assume that it had happened from public statements.  Which didn't say anything of the sort - she's another who thinks people say what they want them to say.

[1]  Who she patronisingly refers to as 'lovely Linda' - clearly the plebs don't deserve surnames.  Similarly both councillors are mentioned by their first names and insulted for their physical appearance (if you're going to go down that road, I'd advise sitting in more flattering lighting).  As ever, the tone is of bitching in the infants' school playground.

I don’t agree with the council members being insulted (although the human thumb comment is fairly funny IMHO as Andrew Bentley does indeed look like a human thumb). Thats just gratuitously insulting (a bit like calling someone a Nazi I suppose) but please don’t be yet another poster to go down the bending the truth angle. It’s a video it’s very clear what she said and who she attributed the comments to. Anyone can view it. So you and anyone else can come on here and try to state black is white but the more you or anyone else does that it just looks like you’re looking to apply an editorial narrative over what some posters might say. I always understood that there are no editors here and people are free to express what they think without those views being twisted to support a wider narrative. 

As we’re going down this path and I’m bored now of people trying to tilt what I have said. Personally I believe what was reported by Energy FM is credible. I also have no issue in believing that a couple of tinpot local councillors might have over stepped the mark in their behaviour towards Hopkins or the legion as they frequently do overstep the mark to court attention. I also believe that questions should be asked at council level regarding the public claims on Energy FM of bullying and threatening behaviour by members of council. It’s not enough to shout “Hopkins is a liar” without providing one shred of evidence to the contrary. It’s the only fair process that can now be followed - a thorough investigation benchmarked against the local authority code of conduct to ensure that both council members mentioned did in fact act appropriately and did not attempt to bully a council tenant into de platforming Hopkins. Anything else is just amplifying the gaslighting and claims made on both sides. If they have nothing to hide surely they will want an investigation as that will surely support their claims? I’d also like to hear what “Lovely Linda” has to say as if it was me I’d have already called Energy FM and put everything on record if it wasn’t a true reflection of anything I had said as it puts her in an invidious position as a council tenant.

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

As we’re going down this path and I’m bored now of people trying to tilt what I have said. Personally I believe what was reported by Energy FM is credible. I also have no issue in believing that a couple of tinpot local councillors might have over stepped the mark in their behaviour towards Hopkins or the legion as they frequently do overstep the mark to court attention. I also believe that questions should be asked at council level regarding the public claims on Energy FM of bullying and threatening behaviour by members of council. It’s not enough to shout “Hopkins is a liar” without providing one shred of evidence to the contrary.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/club-defends-hosting-hopkins-show-638278

"The Manx Legion responded by saying it has not been contacted by Douglas Borough Council, and they'd have been surprised at their intervention."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It’s not enough to shout “Hopkins is a liar” without providing one shred of evidence to the contrary.

Nobody's shouted that, though.

If you make claims, you back them up with evidence when you're challenged.

If I claimed something awful and personal about you, and the rules were that it was true unless you could disprove it, I could make all sorts of ridiculous and scandalous claims that you would find hard to disprove. Doesn't mean those claims are true. In the real world  it's not unreasonable to ask me to prove my claims or pay you for injury to your business or reputation.

A council asking a tenant not to host what it judges an offensive and bigoted show has precedent.

Chubby Brown finds it hard to get gigs in council-owned property now. There's nothing stopping him from going to a privately-owned venue, so he's not been silenced or cancelled .

Councils rightly face questions from the people they represent about the use of a publicly-owned facility to make money this way, and how it aligns with their values. It would be wrong to fund a womens' refuge or a cultural centre and simultaneously fund a show where a bigot rails against immigrants and women, for example.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

If I claimed something awful and personal about you, and the rules were that it was true unless you could disprove it, I could make all sorts of ridiculous and scandalous claims that you would find hard to disprove. Doesn't mean those claims are true.

That’s basically how libel works - you said something untrue if it is untrue you either withdraw the comment when requested to do so or you risk litigation. But I don’t see anyone threatening to sue anyone or asking for an apology here. All I can see is people defaulting to discrediting Hopkins as a liar because she has previously been sued for libel. That really does not make anything she might possibly say from that day forward untrue by default. The claims have been made so if people object so much it’s up to them to resort to the lawyers if they think they are baseless or otherwise seek an apology or other redress. Although as I said above I think it’s certainly something Douglas Council should properly investigate under the code of conduct as the claims of inappropriate behaviour have been made publicly in a mainstream news feature and attributed to known persons. 

10 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

That’s basically how libel works - you said something untrue if it is untrue you either withdraw the comment when requested to do so or you risk litigation. But I don’t see anyone threatening to sue anyone or asking for an apology here. All I can see is people defaulting to discrediting Hopkins as a liar because she has previously been sued for libel. That really does not make anything she might possibly say from that day forward untrue by default. The claims have been made so if people object so much it’s up to them to resort to the lawyers if they think they are baseless or otherwise seek an apology or other redress. Although as I said above I think it’s certainly something Douglas Council should properly investigate under the code of conduct as the claims of inappropriate behaviour have been made publicly in a mainstream news feature and attributed to known persons. 

Not much point in suing Hopkins for libel, or slander, as she has form for not being able to pay any award or costs. Had to enter a CVA after her last outing.

Douglas Corporation can’t be defamed, in law. The two councillors can, and could sue. Can’t see them affording it themselves, or getting crowd funding like Jack did.

In any event, the Legion, before the event, said it hadn’t been contacted by the Corpie, to cancel, or otherwise and the two councillors have said they didn’t contact.

Only one conclusion. Hopkin lying, again. She thrives on the maxim of “no publicity is bad publicity”, and will say anything to earn a living, now she isn’t the right wing media’s darling, gobby, troll.