Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:
1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I remember, as a child learning about the world wars and the persecution of the jews, the romany and the disabled and we used to ask, why didn't people stand up against it. Why did people allow it to happen? But here we are, allowing it to happen all over again, encouraging it even.

You could add lockdowns to that.  How the hell did we allow that to happen?

Are you seriously comparing the Holocaust to the covid lockdowns?

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

Are you seriously comparing the Holocaust to the covid lockdowns?

Errr. No not directly.  More the "how did we let our 'rulers' do this?"  If you'd said beforehand that we all would have blindly agreed to being locked up for months on end, I would have said, never would we let that happen. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I'm resigned to it now.

She was ridiculed, hated and cancelled when she was on the TV for her extreme views, so it made good business sense for her to move onto doing her own thing. If there's no-on there to challenge her anymore she has free rein to do and say what she likes.

She's very like Trump in her approach and gives a huge percentage of the population as opportunity to think that their right wing views are quite acceptable. She hates everyone they hate - and - just like Trump, it draws them ever closer to her. Also, like Trump, she has charisma, one can't help but be drawn to what she says even if what she's saying is abhorrent and extreme.

This is the woman who felt extreme joy when immigrants drowned and who wants to see the introduction of 'euthanasia vans' in the UK to kill off the old people because there are too many of them.

I remember, as a child learning about the world wars and the persecution of the jews, the romany and the disabled and we used to ask, why didn't people stand up against it. Why did people allow it to happen? But here we are, allowing it to happen all over again, encouraging it even.

It's coming back and there's nothing we can do about it.

Frank. You're very foolish, and @thommo2010's right, that picture will come back to haunt you. For someone who, in the past has become visibly and mentally affected by the amount of hate directed toward you I would truly have thought that you would have developed a sense of self preservation, given that you've demonstrated time and time again how much the hatred affects you.  It's up to you, of course, but professionally and personally, given the divisive nature of the Katy Hopkin's opinions, I think you've dropped an absolute bullock there.

I just did it to get a reaction and it worked. Predictably so. It’s an experiment in toytown outrage. It also took some of the anti DBC ammunition off the table on the night. She still ripped into Devon and Andrew on stage of course because that’s what she does and they gave her free material. Am I worried about my chances for re-election? No, because I’m not planning to stand again. 

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Hong Kongers aren't though. 

I keep thinking this when I hear about all the labour shortages in the UK, when they have literally hundreds of people in rubber boats arriving on their shores.  "Can you drive a truck?  Brilliant, come on in.  You're a builder?  Excellent, come this way."

You could add lockdowns to that.  How the hell did we allow that to happen?

But people from HK are essentially British. Old empire feelings and all that. 

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

I just did it to get a reaction and it worked. Predictably so. It’s an experiment in toytown outrage. It also took some of the anti DBC ammunition off the table on the night. She still ripped into Devon and Andrew on stage of course because that’s what she does and they gave her free material. Am I worried about my chances for re-election? No, because I’m not planning to stand again. 

Because you’re not standing for re-election do you think it’s OK then to behave in what a lot of people would perceive as an inappropriate manner. (An experiment to “getting a reaction “ , yeah right.)

As long as you are in office you should still act responsibly. Having a selfie with this awful woman doesn’t qualify as such to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Fair enough, on all counts. I’m delighted to have been proved wrong on that one.

I still think she’s dangerous tho, and like her orange cousin, is riding the wave all the way to the bank on the back of hatred and division. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Declan said:

The name badge says “Mr Councillor F Schuengel” as improbable as that might sound. 

I can get beyond this. It's rare feat to be the most pompous thing in a photo with Katie Hopkins, but the name badge does it. There's room for two honorifics "Mr" and "Councillor" but not his first name. I imagine it's the town clark's office that's responsible for the wording but that needs fixing for the next batch of Mr Councillors are sworn in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Fair enough, on all counts. I’m delighted to have been proved wrong on that one.

I still think she’s dangerous tho, and like her orange cousin, is riding the wave all the way to the bank on the back of hatred and division. 

Yes she and Trump supporters and the other right wing media and nutcases are dangerous. I was disappointed to see anti vax fruitcake publications being on display on the night. I rather stay close and try to influence things that way. If you shout at them from the outside it just hardens their beliefs. Maybe more thoughtful event planning going forward would be good. Gentle behind the scenes efforts that are harder to be turned into on stage material.