Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

People like Hopkins seem like overgrown spoilt toddlers.  They think they should be able to do whatever they want and say whatever they want without any consequences.  And when the world fails to respond in the ways they demand, they scream and complain just how oppressed they are and demand everyone sympathise with them.  

Cue Russell Brand...

46 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

If I was a councilor named it’s the first thing I’d do - pick up the phone to her and ask her to deny what was said to Energy FM by KH if I thought it wasn’t true and I was getting flack for it. 

If they did that then people like you and KH would be citing it as an example of yet more bullying...

Devon's reply was pretty gracious, considering he probably has recourse to medieval Manx law for the comments that were made. They weren't merely a response to the protests, they were personal attacks stating insults as facts. You'd have thought KH would have learned from her ownage by Jack Monroe not to make such statements, but it's clear she hasn't. She could be taken to the cleaners again, if the two gentlemen decided to.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

If they did that then people like you and KH would be citing it as an example of yet more bullying...

I certainly wouldn’t. I don’t like Hopkins at all but I am interested in her allegations as she doesn’t seem to have made them up herself as she cites their source - the lady who runs the legion who she then names. If I was a council member the first thing I’d be doing is getting on the phone to the legion woman and asking her to publicly deny Hopkins claims. Because people like Watson will probably harp on about it being “Not me guv” but that’s basically only your word against her’s and actually makes it look like the claims might be true. Equally if the claims attributed to the lady at the legion aren’t true then surely she’ll want to distance herself from them so she won’t have a problem in confirming they’re nonsense.

But after making the statement just after 8:30 in this 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=964388064863982&ref=sharing

If she’s not prepared to publicly deny the claims made then maybe people will assume that they’re actually true and that she was threatened no matter what Watson or Bentley might say? 

1 minute ago, The Bastard said:

She could be taken to the cleaners again, if the two gentlemen decided to.

Only if it’s untrue of course.

21 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

If she’s not prepared to publicly deny the claims made then maybe people will assume that they’re actually true and that she was threatened no matter what Watson or Bentley might say? 

Threatened with the removal of grants that don't exist?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Burden of proof would be on the accuser to prove it's true, rather than the accused. That's not a great legal position to be in when you're making wild, potentially actionable accusations like KH. 

As I said above it’s very easily solvable. The lady at the legion club must be able to say whether she said what Hopkins attributed to her or not about being bullied. She must be furious if Hopkins is attributing lies to her and will wish to put the record straight surely? 

Just now, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

As I said above it’s very easily solvable. The lady at the legion club must be able to say whether she said what Hopkins attributed to her or not about being bullied. She must be furious if Hopkins is attributing lies to her and will wish to put the record straight surely? 

I don't think it's simply up to the Legion staff to "put the record straight". Where the statement's been made by KH, she deals with the consequences, whether that's a retraction and an apology, or payment of legal fees and damages (as in the Jack Monroe case). All depends of course whether the two gents just write her off as a nutter, or pursue the matter.

12 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I don't think it's simply up to the Legion staff to "put the record straight".

Of course it is. I’d be mortified if someone like Hopkins said that I’d said things I hadn’t. In fact if it was me I’d have already rang Energy FM and put the record straight that I hadn’t said what was said and attributed to me .. if it was untrue. The fact that she hasn’t done that makes me very sceptical of anything Watson might have to say. He’s always going to deny it really and just keep claiming that Hopkins is a liar to gaslight in the absence of anything else. Just like you’re doing really. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I certainly wouldn’t. I don’t like Hopkins at all but I am interested in her allegations as she doesn’t seem to have made them up herself as she cites their source - the lady who runs the legion who she then names. If I was a council member the first thing I’d be doing is getting on the phone to the legion woman and asking her to publicly deny Hopkins claims. Because people like Watson will probably harp on about it being “Not me guv” but that’s basically only your word against her’s and actually makes it look like the claims might be true. Equally if the claims attributed to the lady at the legion aren’t true then surely she’ll want to distance herself from them so she won’t have a problem in confirming they’re nonsense.

But after making the statement just after 8:30 in this 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=964388064863982&ref=sharing

You are missing my point...

If someone from DBC puts in a call to the lady who runs the legion and asks her to make a statement refuting what KH has said in her video then that will be seen as DBC putting pressure or bullying her to make that statement.  

Even if she now comes out on her own accord to deny making those claims there will be people who will think she has been forced into it by DBC.

It seems people just choose to ignore facts.  Several people have already stated that DBC don't provide grants to the legion and that is supported by the accounts.  If that is the case, then someone is lying.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Of course it is. I’d be mortified if someone like Hopkins said that I’d said things I hadn’t. In fact if it was me I’d have already rang Energy FM and put the record straight that I hadn’t said what was said and attributed to me .. if it was untrue. The fact that she hasn’t done that makes me very sceptical of anything Watson might have to say. He’s always going to deny it really and just keep claiming that Hopkins is a liar to gaslight in the absence of anything else. Just like you’re doing really. 

Naive, misleading and needlessly insulting. I've never directly claimed KH is a liar but asked whether legally she'd be liable for defamatory statements she made.

You seem fixated on the matter of grants, as if that's the only statement she made, and think everything will be sorted out if the nice lady at the Legion intervenes to smooths things over. Unfortunately said lady is not obliged to do so, and even if she did, it wouldn't close the matter. The law doesn't work like that, and some of the other statements sound potentially defamatory to my uninformed ears. 

The Manx defamation act has some specific provisions for persons holding office that look interesting :

image.png.f3113a653718316e6404b8f7a8ddb967.png