Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

The Bishop dickhead who hasn’t said a lot since he arrived has come out with these pearls of wisdom as he steps on the boat or plane, whichever is operating atm to a cushy retirement after a very cushy time on the Island.     The new Bishop has not been appointed yet and it is slow process they do not rush these things   It would have been a perfect time to alter his terms and conditions i.e .   Stick to the church and keep your beak out of politics without fuss but it was not to be.   It must be very frustrating for new politicians to try and move forward when the old guard block every move.

Yes of course it is, some reservations expressed were well thought out such as the age of consent and the residency qualification time and I am sure there were lots more which will be discussed.   Some people are not comfortable with the Bill because they could never imagine a time when they would venture down this path I don’t know if I would be brave enough to but the thing that sways me and a lot of other people is choice.     People should have the choice it is their body and their life.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

I am surprised that Cannan is against it. He has gone down in my estimation. The others do not surprise me.

The only two who aren’t really a surprise are Andrew Smith who is pure Laxey tambourine banging Taliban, and Tim Glover who wanted the whole world shut down due to Covid (which was the only reason he got in). Most of the others probably have questions to answer. 

It is one of those matters that should be left to the individual MHK's own conscience.  Similar votes in the UK are free votes without the party whip being applied.

However, having said that,  I would hope that each MHK did vote according to their  own conscience and, providing they did so, should not be vilified.

Personally, I am for a properly safeguarded legal means to allow everyone to have the choice when faced with the prospect of a terminal illness, with an undignified and painful life leading to an inevitable and equally undignified and painful death.  Those safeguards are vital to get right and if that cannot be assured, that alone would be the only reason I would want the bill to fail. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is one of those matters that should be left to the individual MHK's own conscience.  Similar votes in the UK are free votes without the party whip being applied.

However, having said that,  I would hope that each MHK did vote according to their  own conscience and, providing they did so, should not be vilified.

Unless they were elected saying one thing and then voting for the opposite.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/outrage-at-mhks-u-turn-on-assisted-dying-551357

• Like 2

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

I am surprised that Cannan is against it. He has gone down in my estimation. The others do not surprise me.

He wasn't half bleating some nonsense in his speech on it.

Apparently his campaign was vote for Cannan for love and compassion.

Assuming now he's just Dr Love and the passion is reserved for certain members of his cabinet!