Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Wasn't her father a bible basher and anti-homosexuality campaigner, the Christian family are also known to be into zany cult religions like Living Hope. 

Nope 100% incorrect about her father - he used to a own a book store and worked at Lloyds, and then as a night manager in hotels. And one member of my family used to go to Living hope but no longer does. Nice way to try and sully someone’s character by creating an untrue narrative about my family though. Thanks.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Steve_Christian
Grammar
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Suppose there would be a clause in the bill to stop UK residents moving to the Isle of Man soley to get this service, otherwise we will have a lot of people with a terminal diagnosis albeit outside the 6 month to death prognosis moving here to ensure they can pull the trigger when the time comes and it is hard to imagine how the health and social care service could cope with that extra load. 

why would people move here when they could just go to dignitas instead ?

EDIT;  on reflection once you're an IOM resident there is no death duty ( just probate )  so it could cost the UK a fortune in taxes/duty.

Edited by WTF

24 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Nope 100% incorrect about her father - he used to a own a book store and worked at Lloyds, and then as a night manager in hotels.

Wrong there, when he had the book shop he asked customers to sign petitions against the legalisation of homosexualtiy.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve_Christian said:

Really? I wasn’t aware of that - are you sure and can you prove it? I knew him for 35 years and there was never any conversation or bias against homosexuals

It happened, he had a little table by the door with a petition and was asking passers by to sign, told to me by my uncle who was only poping in to spend pocket money on an airfix model (was only a schoolkid), he still feels awful that he signed it, but it was only because the nice man who owned the book shop asked him to.

1 minute ago, HiVibes said:

It happened, he had a little table by the door with a petition and was asking passers by to sign, told to me by my uncle who was only poping in to spend pocket money on an airfix model (was only a schoolkid), he still feels awful that he signed it, but it was only because the nice man who owned the book shop asked him to.

OK well I can’t disprove what you say, I can only state that in my experience this seems very out of character. Not sure what this has to do with the thread of assisted dying though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WTF said:

why would people move here when they could just go to dignitas instead ?

I once went to a fancy dress party themed "Politically Incorrect".  We'd probably all be arrested now, but my girlfriend of the time went as a particularly sexy Dignitas Nurse.  

8 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

OK well I can’t disprove what you say, I can only state that in my experience this seems very out of character. Not sure what this has to do with the thread of assisted dying though.

It was about his daughter voting against it, and people wondering why anyone who was not a religious nut job would do so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HiVibes said:

It was about his daughter voting against it, and people wondering why anyone who was not a religious nut job would do so.

You’d have to ask her about that - perhaps listen to her speech in HOKs on the matter as opposed to discussing something totally irrelevant. That may provide some actual answers. Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Suppose there would be a clause in the bill to stop UK residents moving to the Isle of Man soley to get this service, otherwise we will have a lot of people with a terminal diagnosis albeit outside the 6 month to death prognosis moving here to ensure they can pull the trigger when the time comes and it is hard to imagine how the health and social care service could cope with that extra load. 

Jeez. Even more old chuffs! Could charge 'em, I suppose.

As I said before, I support the concept of Assisted Dying (afterall, other countries including Canada, Australia and New Zealand have similar legislation).

Today it is being reported that, “The BMA says that Dr Ranson considers the Covid review to be a ‘sham’” and also “key documents have not been made available (by Government?) to the review”:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-medical-director-and-bma-raise-concerns-over-reviews/

This very same Government that is putting through a very important piece of legislation which will have deep consequences for the Island’s residents, is the same Government that is not currently dealing ‘openly and transparently’ with the Inquiry into its handling of Covid, i.e., if something ever went wrong under the Assisted Dying legislation, would the IOMG openly and transparently look into what went wrong, or would they withhold vital information?

Let’s hope that I am wrong about my concerns, but my main issue is that our peoples’ representatives could easily get out of their depths if at any time the operation of Assisted Dying legislation went awry. Because if something truly bad happened, then that could turn into another disaster for the Island.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1