Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Kopek people move over here to avoid paying death duties they must have to prove some kind of residency or do they ?  

Death duties (Inheritance Tax) is a huge subject on its own. If Allinson, as Mr Treasury man, were to tie that in with this bill, even in the background, it could prove very lucrative for the Isle of Man economy.

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I really hope it gets through. Society needs to get over its religious affliction. 

If it hasn't happened in thousands of years then it isn't going to. It's a scourge that is hardwired. People simply can't deal with the reality of a finite lifespan and mortality. Sad but true.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, woolley said:

If it hasn't happened in thousands of years then it isn't going to. It's a scourge that is hardwired. People simply can't deal with the reality of a finite lifespan and mortality. Sad but true.

You sound an intelligent chap, I wonder could you help me. Does our soul die at the end of life? I realise that is a difficult one, so I have a far simpler one. You know at the very edge of the universe, all those light years away, then what is beyond that?

1 hour ago, Casta said:

You sound an intelligent chap, I wonder could you help me. Does our soul die at the end of life? I realise that is a difficult one, so I have a far simpler one. You know at the very edge of the universe, all those light years away, then what is beyond that?

Northern Soul died years ago. The new theory is that the Universe was around before the Big Bang and is spherical.  So it is like trying to get an answer from Dr Allison, you just go round and round in circles. 

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Who conducted the survey and can we see the questions? 

The Isle of Man Medical Society. It was circulated by Ben Harris, who is president (I think), is the Medical Director of The Hospice, and is fairly vocal opponent of the legislation.  You can't see the questions I don't think - it was on a Survey Monkey thing, and I've just checked the link is now closed so I can no longer access them.

I filled it in myself and remember feeling at the time that there were not the options to answer questions I would have liked.  I can't be certain now because I can't re-read it, but it was almost like "How opposed are you to assisted dying? Completely/Very/Somewhat/a little" - the options I wanted weren't necessarily there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

The new theory is that the Universe was around before the Big Bang and is spherical.  So it is like trying to get an answer from Dr Allison, you just go round and round in circles. 

The so-called 'big bang' and now this wedgie shaped sphere thing is just the scientists saying they haven't got a clue themselves. They are theories, that are no more believable/unbelievable than a God theory.

I like the analogy to Dr Allison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casta said:

and now this wedgie shaped sphere thing

“Wedgie shaped”?
 Is that a bum-shaped universe bisected by a huge pair of ill-fitting knickers; or a universe shaped like the late Tony Benn?

eta: on further reflection - in multiverse theory, where there are an infinite number of parallel universes with infinite variation, both of the options above would theoretically exist!

Edited by Jarndyce
eta
  • Haha 1

It seems to me that there's a relatively simple work-round for those who oppose assisted dying being legal. 

Get yourself a "living will". Detail what measures you absolutely will not want applied to your end of life care. Explicitly rule out assisted dying. 

Leave it to each individual to decide and make arrangements for themselves and themselves alone. If you think something would piss off your god, don't do it. My god - or lack thereof - may differ, so butt out and deal with the plank in your own eye. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casta said:

The so-called 'big bang' and now this wedgie shaped sphere thing is just the scientists saying they haven't got a clue themselves. They are theories, that are no more believable/unbelievable than a God theory.

There is considerable difference in the theories though - the scientists are  prepared to continue researching and are prepared to change views when new facts are known - The religitards say their God theory is correct and they don't need any further research.

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

It seems to me that there's a relatively simple work-round for those who oppose assisted dying being legal. 

Get yourself a "living will". Detail what measures you absolutely will not want applied to your end of life care. Explicitly rule out assisted dying. 

Leave it to each individual to decide and make arrangements for themselves and themselves alone. If you think something would piss off your god, don't do it. My god - or lack thereof - may differ, so butt out and deal with the plank in your own eye. 

Good post, you make a good point, but your attitude in the last paragraphs detracts from an otherwise very valid point and lacks empathy. A bit like someone eloquently destroying an argument in a sensible and intelligent debate then not being able to help themselves and taking a dump on the table.

8 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I take your point, but I don't think it's valid in this debate.  The opponents are worried about coercion, in that granny will be put under pressure to 'do the decent thing' and agree to assisted suicide.  I don't think a living will, which spells out what you'd like to happen should you become incapable of making a decision due to dementia etc, is relevant here as the legislation is only going to be applied for those that are mentally competent, with less than 6 months to live etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I take your point, but I don't think it's valid in this debate.  The opponents are worried about coercion, in that granny will be put under pressure to 'do the decent thing' and agree to assisted suicide.  I don't think a living will, which spells out what you'd like to happen should you become incapable of making a decision due to dementia etc, is relevant here as the legislation is only going to be applied for those that are mentally competent, with less than 6 months to live etc.

I was thinking the living will would stop the coercion by helping granny stick to her guns against scheming family members. If a person can be so easily led against something they have strong enough conviction over that they went to the trouble of creating a supporting legal document, can they really be said to be of sound mind?