Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

20 hours ago, Newbie said:

I am not sure that I buy the coercion argument. I can see why people might believe it to be a potential problem, but in that case they should surely also be concerned about suicide, which prior to 1961 was illegal. Why would the same people not be concerned that an elderly person might come under undue pressure from unscrupulous relatives to end their own life without assistance. 

I agree. The coercion argument is largely a fig leaf for other less rational objections.

12 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You don't have to quote Sharespeare to be anti-semitic.

Indeed, but I wondered if it was from the Merchant of Venice.

From further research, courtesy of Google, it may refer to Dracula (active at night) or just indicative of nefarious activity after dark (eg women of the night).  Cannot find anything antisemitic. 

On 11/2/2023 at 12:15 PM, Zarley said:

I was thinking the living will would stop the coercion by helping granny stick to her guns against scheming family members. If a person can be so easily led against something they have strong enough conviction over that they went to the trouble of creating a supporting legal document, can they really be said to be of sound mind?

This is why this could only be considered after the Capacity Legislation dropped into place. Ignoring the emotion and focussing on the fact, the majority of this is already enshrined in the law.

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

House of Keys committee to look at clauses of Assisted Dying Bill.

Rob Callister, David Ashford, Alex Allinson, Michelle Haywood and Lawrie Hooper.

This will be fun. Rob Callister probably hates Michelle Haywood, now they have to work together.

The Rt Hon Professor Dr David Ashford will probably want to show how much of an expert know it all he is …………… having been ex Minister for the Department of Health and Social Care

Hooperman - why? What does he know? Arrogant and hardly empathetic.

• Sad 1

too many old scores to settle ,and too many vested interests ,  it will be some fun watching this group working on a report to come back to the keys ,should had left Allinson  off so he could appear in front  of the committee to give his evidence  and by the time they take evidence from the Public and all the other interested parties  it will take forever , should have left the bill to run its course in the keys and leg co ,

• Sad 1

On 11/2/2023 at 3:17 PM, woolley said:

By all means I can help. The "soul" does not exist. 

In one of the many parallel universes, in fact one almost identical to ours, there is a woolley who realises there is indeed a soul. There has to be. And it is eternal.