Allinson ~ assisted dying won't be the "cause of death" to get life insurance payouts

CallMeCurious

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Distasteful and vain attempt at humour. 

It's worse than that. Occasionally in life we meet people who give us the creeps. It's not always easy to quantify why this should be, but their whole essence screams out that there's something of the night about them. A sixth sense suggests that something not at all good is lurking.

It's rare that it happens, and I must admit I've never been triggered in this way before just by reading written words in a forum, but congratulations @Blade Runner , some of your recent posting hits the threshold. I can laugh at most things, including myself, but this is not funny and what's more, I don't believe for a moment that it's intended to be. Perhaps, to be charitable, it is meant to shock, but it doesn't even do that. It disgusts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's worse than that. Occasionally in life we meet people who give us the creeps. It's not always easy to quantify why this should be, but their whole essence screams out that there's something of the night about them. A sixth sense suggests that something not at all good is lurking.

It's rare that it happens, and I must admit I've never been triggered in this way before just by reading written words in a forum, but congratulations @Blade Runner , some of your recent posting hits the threshold. I can laugh at most things, including myself, but this is not funny and what's more, I don't believe for a moment that it's intended to be. Perhaps, to be charitable, it is meant to shock, but it doesn't even do that. It disgusts.

It certainly points to a troubled mind.  

BTW Love the phrase 'something of the night about them'.  Says so much in so few words. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Why not combine the 2 things?

Anyone who is at the end of their life and wants to die, let them be a passenger on a sidecar in th TT, complete with a hospital type bed in the chair and cannulas connected to drugs hung from a carbon fibre pole sticking out at the rear of the sidecar.

If on the first lap you are not Decapitated at Ago's Leap you get one more lap hoping to be killed at Ballascarey in Glen Vine

If properly marketed it could make the island a fortune.

The drivers of the sidecar outfits would have to be over 65 years old, not hard to find most of the field is.

You are an absolute moron & hopefully this doesn’t happen to one of your family who I assume you would suggest this option?

• Like 4

On 10/26/2023 at 12:57 AM, Stu Peters said:

If appropriate I will be supporting Alex in Keys on this. Not because I expect any pats on the back, but because my father's last words to me in hospital were 'it's a shame Dr Shipman isn't still our GP'. Cancer had destroyed his body and left him a wasted shell, but still with a sharp mind which was possibly even more upsetting. I spent 12 hours a day at my mum's bedside 10 years later, she was so heavily sedated she was only lucid for a few minutes, once. The only other time she made a sound was to cry out when the nurses cleaned or turned her.

So Dr Allinson hasn't changed my mind - it was made up decades ago and reinforced on numerous occasions. Most of the people who have written to me agree. You're welcome to opt out and take your chances with palliative care when the time comes, but I'd rather have a legal option to turn the lights off myself.

It's a total no-brainer isn't it? If you want to end it and you are terminally ill with no hope of recovery, who has the right to deny you? My experiences with loved ones in the departure lounge are much the same as yours. Anyone who disagrees either hasn't had these life experiences yet, or is a total religious nutjob. There was one of the latter on Mannin Line last Thursday trying, utterly disingenuously, to bundle up the assisted dying issue with laudable efforts to prevent suicide among the young and depressed but otherwise physically healthy. He was saying you can't have it both ways. Fortunately, the next caller demolished his argument for the nonsense that it was. Really, we have to emerge from the dark ages. Assisted dying doesn't shorten life. It shortens suffering and death.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It's a total no-brainer isn't it? If you want to end it and you are terminally ill with no hope of recovery, who has the right to deny you? My experiences with loved ones in the departure lounge are much the same as yours. Anyone who disagrees either hasn't had these life experiences yet, or is a total religious nutjob. There was one of the latter on Mannin Line last Thursday trying, utterly disingenuously, to bundle up the assisted dying issue with laudable efforts to prevent suicide among the young and depressed but otherwise physically healthy. He was saying you can't have it both ways. Fortunately, the next caller demolished his argument for the nonsense that it was. Really, we have to emerge from the dark ages. Assisted dying doesn't shorten life. It shortens suffering and death.

Peter Murcott, law and he was on again today about how the certificated cause of death could (essentially) be viewed as fraudulent and give rise to difficulties.  Apparently, he has taken several MHKs through the bill to explanation his concerns.  He didn't say who. 

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Peter Murcott, law and he was on again today about how the certificated cause of death could (essentially) be viewed as fraudulent and give rise to difficulties.  Apparently, he has taken several MHKs through the bill to explanation his concerns.  He didn't say who. 

I hope they told him where to get off.

• Like 3

Very simply, to me anyway, if someone has an assisted death in accordance with the provisions, they would not have had the assisted death if it were not for the terminal illness.  The cause is the terminal illness as it wouldn’t have happened without that, as MM says, the manner of death is the assisted death.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you get hit by a train and you've got terminal cancer...cause of death will still be hit by a train...any inquest will say that.

...if deliberate, you might be glad you went that way...and probably for a moment feel chuffed to bits you chose that way out.

It's not quite the same though is it?  

36 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you get hit by a train and you've got terminal cancer...cause of death will still be hit by a train...any inquest will say that.

...if deliberate, you might be glad you went that way...and probably for a moment feel chuffed to bits you chose that way out.

train ,,,,,,, chuffed,,,,,,,,  you are really struggling sometimes.

• Haha 1