American XL bully dogs

Last Ten

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I own two dogs. I’d never walk them off lead. You, @Venus are part of the problem. Dogs will return on call, until they don’t, they’ll not pay attention to people, until they do, they won’t approach other dogs, on or off the lead, until they do, they’ll run past,  until they don’t, and jump up, attack or bite.

There are places for off the lead. Your own garden, a secure off lead dog exercise area.

Anywhere else you run the risk of them doing what you don’t expect, and at that stage you are committing the offence of not having them under control, and risking a fine and their lives.

It’s nothing to do with dog hating. It’s called being responsible.

I feel sorry for your poor dogs. Owners like you are in the minority thankfully, pretty much everyone else treats their dogs properly and allows them to have a good run. I'm just back from a walk and I only saw one other person with their dog on a lead. And that was probably because it was only a pup.

The only time my dogs are on lead is when we're on pavements or near roads. They are under my control and that is why the law states "under control" not "on a lead" because decent owners train their dogs properly.

1 minute ago, Venus said:

I feel sorry for your poor dogs. Owners like you are in the minority thankfully, pretty much everyone else treats their dogs properly and allows them to have a good run. I'm just back from a walk and I only saw one other person with their dog on a lead. And that was probably because it was only a pup.

The only time my dogs are on lead is when we're on pavements or near roads. They are under my control and that is why the law states "under control" not "on a lead" because decent owners train their dogs properly.

Thankfully, responsible owners like me are in the majority. My dogs exercise in the garden running around like loons. And we take them to secure off the lead places as well. Plus long walks on lead.

You May think you are in control. I agree that’s what the legislation says. But dogs are not reliable, however well trained. A back fire, a rabbit, another dog, a sheep, or other livestock, can all set them off.  Then, whatever you think, they’d aren’t under control. Too late.

As I say, you’re the irresponsible one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Venus said:

Mine won't pay any attention to the people, but I know some people might be scared when they run towards them. They would just run past but the people don't know that and they don't know my dogs, so I think it's fair enough.

So you think it's OK to scare people with your dogs...?

Not good, not good at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Venus said:

I have 2 dogs, they are often off-lead on walks but if I see some people coming towards me, if they don't have an off-lead dog themselves, I will get hold of mine and keep them on-lead until we pass said people. Because not everyone likes dogs. Mine won't pay any attention to the people, but I know some people might be scared when they run towards them. They would just run past but the people don't know that and they don't know my dogs, so I think it's fair enough.

That said, I have never seen anyone shouting "don't worry it won't bite" although it seems to happen to dog-haters all the time oddly.

I used to do some volunteering up at the MSPCA.  I used to take some of the active breeds and/or problem dogs out (on leads) to somewhere other than the field compound around the rescue centre.  Most of them were reactive, but generally ok as long as a dog (or person) didn't come and get in their face, or if you took the introduction slowly.  Regularly there were times I was in the deepest darkest part of a plantation (specifically to avoid said interactions) and I had some random unleashed dog appear out of nowhere, try to get all personal and then I'd be left trying to wrestle a freaking out dog.  "It's ok, he's friendly" they'd shout whilst completely unable to recall or control their dog as it's bounding towards us, with completely expected results.  Of course the owner of the completely uncontrolled dog always thought it was my fault that I had a dog, on a lead and shouted in advance to them that 'this dog isn't cool with your dog'.

Had a similar issue one night a couple of weeks ago.  Walking my very chilled dog on Douglas beach in the dark on a lead.  Out of nowhere, a large white Akita type slammed my dog into the sand and started wrestling with him.  Admittedly they seemed to be playing, but it was a hair's breadth from all going very wrong very quickly.  I had to pull him off and started choking him with his own collar, the owner eventually appeared and used the "he's not always like this" line and dragged him off.   30 seconds later he was on my dog again.  I'm pretty certain he didn't even have a leash with him.  What would have happened if I was old, weak or not confident with dogs? 

It would appear from your statements, that you are actually the problem.  Time to take a look in the mirror.

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

Your logic is just a little bit flawed.

It's essentially you don't bite people therefore dogs don't bite people either...

Yeah, right....

Turning that on its head 

Let’s just use a recent example ( without taking sides) and say that dogs don’t bomb hospitals or schools or indulge in other similar acts of evil that man has done.

Luis Suarez bit people though didn’t he?

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

I own two dogs. I’d never walk them off lead. You, @Venus are part of the problem. Dogs will return on call, until they don’t, they’ll not pay attention to people, until they do, they won’t approach other dogs, on or off the lead, until they do, they’ll run past,  until they don’t, and jump up, attack or bite.

There are places for off the lead. Your own garden, a secure off lead dog exercise area.

Anywhere else you run the risk of them doing what you don’t expect, and at that stage you are committing the offence of not having them under control, and risking a fine and their lives.

It’s nothing to do with dog hating. It’s called being responsible.

Well I have exercised my dog on Ramsey Beach off lead together with many others,  for 10 years or more.A few days each week depending on tidal flows.

The beach is not my own garden, nor is it what you probably would  describe as a “secure off lead dog exercise area”

In all that time I have never seen anyone attacked by an off lead dog. There has been a few scuffles between dogs which have quickly been sorted out by their respective owners with no recriminations.

My dog enjoys  interacting with other dogs, as they do and has played with them, running after each other, chasing the same ball etc. And yes, occasionally sniffing each others bottoms.

I too have relished the opportunity to interact with other dog owners and have got to know some of them quite well. Discussing the age, breed etc of their own etc.

I have also met a lot of non dog walkers on the beach who have invited my dog over to have a fuss from them.

All in all it’s quite an enriching experience which would not be the same if you didn’t allow your dog to run free but held it on a piece  of rope, leather or whatever, restricting its movement.

Yes of course  there is barely an activity that can be deemed risk free,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I have exercised my dog on Ramsey Beach off lead together with many others,  for 10 years or more.A few days each week depending on tidal flows.

The beach is not my own garden, nor is it what you probably would  describe as a “secure off lead dog exercise area”

In all that time I have never seen anyone attacked by an off lead dog. There has been a few scuffles between dogs which have quickly been sorted out by their respective owners with no recriminations.

My dog enjoys  interacting with other dogs, as they do and has played with them, running after each other, chasing the same ball etc. And yes, occasionally sniffing each others bottoms.

I too have relished the opportunity to interact with other dog owners and have got to know some of them quite well. Discussing the age, breed etc of their own etc.

I have also met a lot of non dog walkers on the beach who have invited my dog over to have a fuss from them.

All in all it’s quite an enriching experience which would not be the same if you didn’t allow your dog to run free but held it on a piece  of rope, leather or whatever, restricting its movement.

Yes of course  there is barely an activity that can be deemed risk free,

Yeah. But everyone on here knows you’re a dick. You’re just prove it, every time you post.

An emotionally, intellectually, philosophically, stunted, idiot. You couldn’t recognise reason if it ran up to you and bit your ankles. You’re just a poor man’s Suella.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Turning that on its head 

Let’s just use a recent example ( without taking sides) and say that dogs don’t bomb hospitals or schools or indulge in other similar acts of evil that man has done.

Luis Suarez bit people though didn’t he?

Your logic that you don't bite people therefore dogs don't bite people is still complete bollox.

What on earth were you thinking of...?

Or not which is more likely...

19 hours ago, John Wright said:

Thankfully, responsible owners like me are in the majority.

Not true. The RSPCA did a dog owner survey and found that only 18% of owners don't let their dogs walk off-lead.  The clear view of the RSPCA (and most dog owners) is that it is cruel and unacceptable to never let your dog off-lead, unless you have a good reason such as your dog being young, untrained or agressive. The survey is called Being DogKind.

19 hours ago, P.K. said:

So you think it's OK to scare people with your dogs...?

Not good, not good at all.

No. I was saying that I always put them on a lead to stop them running towards people. the only exception to that is where said people have their own off-leash dog. If they don't have a dog, I get mine on a lead. If they have a dog on-lead, I get them on a lead.

Like The Voice of Reason, I have walked dogs offlead for many many years, most people also have theirs off, the dogs play, the owners chat. Rarely any issues and any issues are a dog or two taking a dislike which might flare up for second or two but is no big deal for a responsible owner who understands dogs and their needs.

Go look at your nearest beach. You would be highly unlikely to see a single dog on the lead, especially this time of year.

• Like 1

@Venus

The vast majority of dog owners I have encountered who are walking their dog off leash do not put them on leash when me and my family approach.

The Dog's are left to jump up or sniff around with a vague statement that they are friendly or don't bite.

I have a child who is now terrified of dogs because they jump up or follow behind.  They may just be "being friendly" but that is not how my child feels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, Kipper99 said:

Yeah. But everyone on here knows you’re a dick.

Pot / kettle.

On 11/14/2023 at 1:50 PM, manxman1980 said:

@Venus

The vast majority of dog owners I have encountered who are walking their dog off leash do not put them on leash when me and my family approach.

The Dog's are left to jump up or sniff around with a vague statement that they are friendly or don't bite.

I have a child who is now terrified of dogs because they jump up or follow behind.  They may just be "being friendly" but that is not how my child feels.

Is it not your responsibility as a parent to enlighten your child not to be terrified of a dog following behind you.?

Or if the dog is just “ being friendly “ to let them know that that is the case.?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Is it not your responsibility as a parent to enlighten your child not to be terrified of a dog following behind you.?

Or if the dog is just “ being friendly “ to let them know that that is the case.?

Ah yes, the arrogance of an inconsiderate dog owner.

I aim to teach my child to enjoy spending time in the company of pets.  The only animal they have encountered and are scared off is dogs because they are the ones that jump up, bark, chase/follow and get very boisterous. 

I had a dog myself in the past so they are a pet I know pretty well.

Dog owners need to be respectful of others and keep dogs on a lead when around others.

• Like 2