American XL bully dogs

Last Ten

On 11/7/2023 at 9:00 PM, Shai said:

It’s so sad to read how many people have commented on this thread saying that bullys and some Staffys should be out down! So small minded and have absolutely no clue other than what you are brainwashed with; You should be ashamed of yourselves that you think it’s perfectly acceptable to kill innocent dogs because of how they look or make assumptions that whoever owns bullys/staffs are ‘chavs’ or own them to fight.

Do your research!! I think you will be very surprised. Most dog attacks in the home on babies and small children are from terriers/Jack Russell breeds. These dogs have jumped into cots/prams and bitten into a baby’s face/head- Think about that before you make stupid comments that you know nothing about!

…And feel free to cross the road when you see me walking with my bully. I wouldn’t want you to offend him or for him to ‘attack’ you by licking you to death. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

If it helps I think all Jack Russells should be put down too.

Edited by HeliX

On 11/13/2023 at 8:11 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Turning that on its head 

Let’s just use a recent example ( without taking sides) and say that dogs don’t bomb hospitals or schools or indulge in other similar acts of evil that man has done.

Luis Suarez bit people though didn’t he?

On 11/13/2023 at 11:47 PM, P.K. said:

Your logic that you don't bite people therefore dogs don't bite people is still complete bollox.

What on earth were you thinking of...?

Or not which is more likely...

Both your arguments are stupid. "People have teeth and they don't bite" is stupid. "Of course your dog bites, that's why he has teeth" is stupid.

But if your dog is around other animals, human or otherwise, it should be on a lead.

I miss the days when dogs used to take themselves for a walk. When I was a kid a rather large dog called Marcus would call round and wait for me, I'd take him along the promenade, swimming on the beach and around the harbour before he walked home with me or I dropped him off to his owner. I'd often meet him around the town and he'd latch on to us like a friend. 

I can understand the need for dogs needing to be on a lead, all the dogs that I met were not always friendly, and they didn't half leave some crap around the place! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

Both your arguments are stupid. "People have teeth and they don't bite" is stupid. "Of course your dog bites, that's why he has teeth" is stupid.

But if your dog is around other animals, human or otherwise, it should be on a lead.

Well it’s not stupid.

Both animals and humans have teeth to masticate their food.

I don’t want to sound like one of these whiney Facebook people but if my dog is around other animals, human or otherwise why should it be on lead? ( unless it has a proven history even once of attacking humans or other animals, in which case it shouldn’t be on a lead it should be put down).

If a dog is of a certain breed that is known to be aggressive that is a different matter, and you shouldn’t be allowed to walk around town with them unleashed or with an unleashed  tiger for example. That’s why there is a Dangerous Breeds  ( or Dogs) Act ( I can’t imagine why on earth you would want one of such dogs)

I don’t want to sound trite but nobody expects humans without any prior violent history to be on a lead around other humans. Who would have thought that perpetrators of violence such as the suicide bomber at the Manchester arena, Arianna Grande concert would do what they do.

As for your  final sentence ( “But if your dog is around other animals, human or otherwise, it should be on a lead” ) Why?

Far more humans ( and other animals) suffer more harm from other humans themselves than from dogs (probably by a factor of zillions)

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Small adjustment to penultimate paragraph

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t want to sound like one of these whiney Facebook people but if my dog is around other animals, human or otherwise why should it be on lead?

Because even if your dog is perfect the other people and animals may be dog-reactive.

On 11/25/2023 at 8:25 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Is it not your responsibility as a parent to enlighten your child not to be terrified of a dog following behind you.?

Or if the dog is just “ being friendly “ to let them know that that is the case.?

A big dog being 'friendly' will easily flatten a small kid if they jump up, chase them if they run or try and hide behind you, if they've got a snack or toy will snatch/bite.  It's the jumpers and non-recallers we're talking about here.  Try explaining to a toddler who is hysterical after the encounter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

A big dog being 'friendly' will easily flatten a small kid if they jump up, chase them if they run or try and hide behind you, if they've got a snack or toy will snatch/bite.  It's the jumpers and non-recallers we're talking about here.  Try explaining to a toddler who is hysterical after the encounter. 

Rare occurrences I would suggest. And yes of course if your dog is prone to such behaviour  ( jumping up, chasing children ) keep it on a lead. But  dogs show their friendliness in many other gentler forms.

When I was a child a goat charge at me and knock me to the ground. I think I was hysterical after that encounter 

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Rare occurrences I would suggest. And yes of course if your dog is prone to such behaviour  ( jumping up, chasing children ) keep it on a lead. But  dogs show their friendliness in many other gentler forms.

When I was a child a goat charge at me and knock me to the ground. I think I was hysterical after that encounter 

Unfortunately not that rare.  It even happens with well(ish) trained dogs but even then, if you're somewhere likely with plenty of kids around, unless you're dog is hyper trained, I'd prefer them to be on a leash.  I'm even sort of guilty, my dog is pretty good and if I'm pottering around outside my house, then he'll wander around without a leash.  He went up to say hello to my neighbour's daughter a few weeks ago, he doesn't jump, but for whatever reason she ran - dog thinks it's a game and chases.  All fine in the end when I shouted at her to stop running. 

And I bet you were terrified of goats for ages afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But that’s hardly the fault of my perfect pooch.

Why should his movements be restricted when he’s done nothing wrong?

Because you live in a society and should feel at least some responsibility towards not reducing the wellbeing of others.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t want to sound like one of these whiney Facebook people but if my dog is around other animals, human or otherwise why should it be on lead? ( unless it has a proven history even once of attacking humans or other animals, in which case it shouldn’t be on a lead it should be put down).

As for your  final sentence ( “But if your dog is around other animals, human or otherwise, it should be on a lead” ) Why?

Why?  Because you are the owner of that dog and having it on a lead ensures that if it is provoked/startled by anything else that you are able to retain control. 

I am sure you remember the "Fenton" video?

44 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not that rare for dogs to jump up sadly.  It also does not take much for a toddler with unpredictable responses and a dog that is playful/agitated/stressed to escalate.  You keep your dog on a lead when in public and I will keep my child under control as well.

Goats are another unpredictable animal and generally speaking I would not let my child into an enclosure with one unsupervised.  We have been to petting zoo's and they don't tend to allow children and animals to mix unsupervised.  In fact the one we went to made a point of rotating animals around or having them in enclosures to limit the interactions and stress.

52 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Because you live in a society and should feel at least some responsibility towards not reducing the wellbeing of others.

But it’s ok to reduce the well being of my dog for no good reason other than to pander to those with irrational fears?

I could say I’m frightened of buses so they should be taken off the road or restricted to 10 mph. 
Dogs like buses are part of society and give a lot of people a lot of pleasure. 
Not to mention the work they do. Guide dogs for the blind, police dogs, search and rescue dogs etc. They should be lauded not  demonised

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Guide dogs for the blind, police dogs, search and rescue dogs etc. They should be lauded not  demonised

Every single one of them is highly trained and rarely off a lead in public.  Even Police dogs are kept largely on leads whilst performing a search and only let off to help chase down a fleeing suspect or confront an aggressor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Unfortunately not that rare.  It even happens with well(ish) trained dogs but even then, if you're somewhere likely with plenty of kids around, unless you're dog is hyper trained, I'd prefer them to be on a leash.  I'm even sort of guilty, my dog is pretty good and if I'm pottering around outside my house, then he'll wander around without a leash.  He went up to say hello to my neighbour's daughter a few weeks ago, he doesn't jump, but for whatever reason she ran - dog thinks it's a game and chases.  All fine in the end when I shouted at her to stop running. 

And I bet you were terrified of goats for ages afterwards. 

Well there you are,  all fine in the end. You taught your neighbours daughter a good lesson. Hopefully now she will employ that tactic in any future similar situation .

I don’t think I was terrified of goats for ages after my experience. I think I thought it was just one of those things. I was quite winded though

However I must confess to enjoying a goat curry and listening to the Rolling Stones album “ Goats Head Soup” . 

No I bear goats no ill will 

38 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But it’s ok to reduce the well being of my dog for no good reason other than to pander to those with irrational fears?

I could say I’m frightened of buses so they should be taken off the road or restricted to 10 mph. 
Dogs like buses are part of society and give a lot of people a lot of pleasure. 
Not to mention the work they do. Guide dogs for the blind, police dogs, search and rescue dogs etc. They should be lauded not  demonised

Your dog being on-lead around other people and animals does not reduce its wellbeing.

I think dogs are brilliant, but not everyone does. And they're entitled to that view. Some have been bitten or given a fright when younger, and that's perfectly valid for them to want my dog to be on a lead around them. So she is. I let her off lead in places that are appropriate and that I know will not have individuals or animals that might get spooked in them.

• Like 4