American XL bully dogs

Last Ten

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But it’s ok to reduce the well being of my dog for no good reason other than to pander to those with irrational fears?

I could say I’m frightened of buses so they should be taken off the road or restricted to 10 mph. 
Dogs like buses are part of society and give a lot of people a lot of pleasure. 
Not to mention the work they do. Guide dogs for the blind, police dogs, search and rescue dogs etc. They should be lauded not  demonised

Stop being a bellend and just keep your damn dog on a lead. No worry about the unexpected then is there

It's time for the law to be reassessed on all dogs.

It's cruel to continue to allow certain types of breeding, from chopping tails to breeding bull dogs and pugs struggling to breathe...and stopping breeding vicious fighting dogs.

Man has bred all kinds of dogs in the last 50,000 years...we can put it right within 10 years.

Needs to be done...emotion removed and the welfare of breeds of dog and how they fit into society reassessed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's time for the law to be reassessed on all dogs.

It's cruel to continue to allow certain types of breeding, from chopping tails to breeding bull dogs and pugs struggling to breathe...and stopping breeding vicious fighting dogs.

Man has bred all kinds of dogs in the last 50,000 years...we can put it right within 10 years.

Needs to be done...emotion removed and the welfare of breeds of dog and how they fit into society reassessed.

Indeed, these things (or any dog really with the exception of wolves) aren't natural, they aren't just wandering around wild, they have been created by man.  Someone has specifically decided to breed something which is used as a fighting dog (Pit Bulls/Staffies) with something massive and historically used in warfare (Mastiffs).  There is only one reason you try and do this and that's to create something big, scary and violent. 

I went to wolf sanctuary in South Africa a few years ago.  They're not native, but someone decided to bring them over and breed with Alsatians to create guard dogs for farms.  This is Africa, so they would be guarding not just from humans but also cattle from apex predators like Lions.  However when bred, they ended up with something with the temprement of a cat and was useless at guarding, so all the wolves were basically released/dumped. 

They ended up going down a route with Mastiffs and Bulldogs to create something terrifying called a Boerboel, which looks more or less like an XL Bully and has actually been banned in a few countries.  As mentioned above, it's been specifically bred to be an ultra guard dog and also used in hunting big game. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel

It was actually really interesting to watch the interaction of the wolves from their enclosures with some small kids on the outside.  The parents were laughing at how much the wolf loved their little kid, following it about etc.  They evidently didn't realise it was seriously viewing it as a prey.

Edited by The Phantom

On 11/14/2023 at 11:20 AM, Venus said:

Go look at your nearest beach. You would be highly unlikely to see a single dog on the lead, especially this time of year.

@Venus

Of course, it NEVER occurs to you that folks will see all the dogs running around and deliberately not go onto that beach in case of them...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Indeed, these things (or any dog really with the exception of wolves) aren't natural, they aren't just wandering around wild, they have been created by man.  Someone has specifically decided to breed something which is used as a fighting dog (Pit Bulls/Staffies) with something massive and historically used in warfare (Mastiffs).  There is only one reason you try and do this and that's to create something big, scary and violent. 

I went to wolf sanctuary in South Africa a few years ago.  They're not native, but someone decided to bring them over and breed with Alsatians to create guard dogs for farms.  This is Africa, so they would be guarding not just from humans but also cattle from apex predators like Lions.  However when bred, they ended up with something with the temprement of a cat and was useless at guarding, so all the wolves were basically released/dumped. 

They ended up going down a route with Mastiffs and Bulldogs to create something terrifying called a Boerboel, which looks more or less like an XL Bully and has actually been banned in a few countries.  As mentioned above, it's been specifically bred to be an ultra guard dog and also used in hunting big game. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel

It was actually really interesting to watch the interaction of the wolves from their enclosures with some small kids on the outside.  The parents were laughing at how much the wolf loved their little kid, following it about etc.  They evidently didn't realise it was seriously viewing it as a prey.

@The Phantom

I thought they used Ridgebacks for that kind of thing?

51 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The Phantom

I thought they used Ridgebacks for that kind of thing?

I'd been lead to believe the same, until I started spending a lot of time out that way.  Don't often see them.  Maybe in Rhodesia (sorry, I mean Zimbabwe).  They're like half the size of the Bullys! 

Edited by The Phantom

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

@Venus

Of course, it NEVER occurs to you that folks will see all the dogs running around and deliberately not go onto that beach in case of them...

Or that the presence of free range dogs encourages people to go onto the beach.

Bit like people going into cat cafes, that sort of thing.