Competition for Living in Hope

Fred the shred

St Peter’s in Onchan, A member of the Church of England has now come out in following the Living in Hope’s methods in extracting money from its followers.      In a booklet they have produced there are three preferred methods to contribute 1, Increase your giving and join the planned giving scheme with a standing order 2, by Tithe by giving a percentage of your income to fund ministry. 3, by Making a legacy gift.   This is followed by a verse from Corinthians explaining God loves a cheerful giver.   They have listed the expenses the Church has and a wish list of structural alterations they would like to have done and some additional services they would like to offer.  The gifts will remain confidential but the Vicar will be aware of the overall picture and  will write to thank all that who respond.   In the day you put what you could afford on the collection plate .   Is this progress or will this be the final nail in the churches coffin with the steady decline already sounding the toll bell, I don’t foresee many cheerful givers in this present financial climate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

St Peter’s in Onchan, A member of the Church of England has now come out in following the Living in Hope’s methods in extracting money from its followers.      In a booklet they have produced there are three preferred methods to contribute 1, Increase your giving and join the planned giving scheme with a standing order 2, by Tithe by giving a percentage of your income to fund ministry. 3, by Making a legacy gift.   This is followed by a verse from Corinthians explaining God loves a cheerful giver.   They have listed the expenses the Church has and a wish list of structural alterations they would like to have done and some additional services they would like to offer.  The gifts will remain confidential but the Vicar will be aware of the overall picture and  will write to thank all that who respond.   In the day you put what you could afford on the collection plate .   Is this progress or will this be the final nail in the churches coffin with the steady decline already sounding the toll bell, I don’t foresee many cheerful givers in this present financial climate.

St Peters is my local church.  I wonder if this type of fundraising is now considered the norm.  My sister is a nurse who has for many years given a quite large percentage of her income to the Salvation Army. She tells me it's expected that you contribute. This sounds a very similar tactical way of raising funds.  l'm not a church goer.

I, along with many others like to donate to ‘worthy’ causes. However, I don’t like the in your face approach or hard sell, I find it immoral. What’s more galling is how some have grown into a cottage industry, headed by ‘chief executive’ on large salaries, who in some cases have influence within society. Unlike some charities or churches who quietly get on, serve their parishioners and communities without fanfare. 

• Like 4

I have always given and respected the Salvation Army who very quietly help so many people in so many ways.   I was not aware of how much help they gave until someone I know was helped by them.    The fact that the Vicar will be writing personally to everyone who ups the anti irks me surely all the sheep in the flock should matter on a level playing field be they rich or poor and not judged by the depth of their pockets.     There are a lot of charities that are more deserving than a crumbling building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As long as they are open and transparent about it then I don’t see how it’s an issue.

Its free choice and they aren’t forcing people to donate or withdrawing services if they don’t.

Its not my thing at all and I would quite happily never set foot in a church again, but if it brings others hope and comfort then let them crack on.

You don’t need to be a rocket surgeon to figure out that traditional donations at a service will have fallen through the floor as regular church goers gradually die off.

Churches have always relied on raising funds, whether it be the collection plate, donations or wills. I don't think that anyone would be forced to donate, as they are in some 'religions?' 

I'm not a churchgoer so not really up to speed but I am involved with other organisations and money is a crucial factor in keeping going.

Is it any different to any club membership ?

It would be weird to expect to walk into a gym without paying a fee and getting indignant when the owner asks you for one.

Churches provide (literal) services for their club members. They cost money to run, I imagine the heating bills for the drafty old places are sky-high, and the maintenance of all those steeples and gargoyles can't be cheap.