First Muslim Miss England

cheesemonster2005

BBC News

She was born in Uzbekistan and faced criticism from some in the muslim community for standing in the competition. She is only 18 and speaks 6 languages. Soon she'll be representing England in China for the Miss World competition.

I can see exactly why she won. In the past few years many contestants from Central Asia have performed really well in the competition.

Anyone know who Miss Isle of Man is?

sorry to be a drag, but, why does anybody care?

isnt it just a beauty pageant, not celebrating talent ,or acheivements but of all things, a bloody genepool.

"well done love, you just so happened to be put together in a way that a majority of people find aesthetically pleasing, heres your tiarra, now dissappear into obscurity. NEXT!"

I can see exactly why she won.

Because it's a very politically friendly winner.

Cynical... but probably true.

Even so, it was the fact that someone from a Muslim background even entered for a competition of this kind that is remarkable. Good luck to the girl, she's obviously got a lot of courage, and I hope she makes enough money out of it to render the condemnation from both Muslims and feminists worthwhile.

Even so, it was the fact that someone from a Muslim background even entered for a competition of this kind that is remarkable.  Good luck to the girl, she's obviously got a lot of courage, and I hope she makes enough money out of it to render the condemnation from both Muslims and feminists worthwhile.

She is still young and shouldnt have to face personal criticism. Has she been singled out for criticism by these groups ?

She is still young and shouldnt have to face personal criticism. Has she been singled out for criticism by these groups ?

I'm not too sure about her but another muslim girl from Nottingham but born in Iraq was threatened and discouraged from attending. I'm not sure if she did attend in the end.

Asked about her feelings at being the first Muslim Miss England, she said: "I'm making history and I'm very happy. Hopefully I won't be the last."

deluded.

who will remember her in six months?

i cant remember any miss world winners. at all. evr.

I can remember Mary Stavin, but only because of Georgie Best.

Even so, it was the fact that someone from a Muslim background even entered for a competition of this kind that is remarkable.  Good luck to the girl, she's obviously got a lot of courage, and I hope she makes enough money out of it to render the condemnation from both Muslims and feminists worthwhile.

From Saturday's Independent:

Hammasa Kohistani, whose parents fled Afghanistan, is taking part in tonight's final after winning Miss Maya, a beauty pageant specifically aimed at contestants from Asia. She said her participation in Miss England was spurred, at least in part, by the Taliban's treatment of women. "I want to have my voice heard for all the women who are oppressed - for those who have not had the right to speak out or even work because they live in a male-dominated society."

Archived