EV Island Issues

Max Power

10 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I have noticed this year that my car servicing, repairs, and renewables have increased considerably, hence my thinking about switching to EVs to reduce long-term costs.

Depends what you're getting fixed.  Bear in mind that it's only the petrol/diesel engine that is replaced.  Everything else like brakes, suspension, electrics etc are still pretty much the same. 

To be honest it's pretty rare that I have anything in my engine fixed.  But there is always something like the aforementioned that needs something doing.  

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately they don't hold their value at all any more, some dealers will not take used EVs into stock at PX time, and get them underwritten elsewhere. 

Manufacturers and dealers are pushing hard to get rid of their stocks and anyone who really wants one can negotiate a great deal. 

Really?   I haven't checked the resales recently.  I did some half arsed looking a couple years ago on 1/2 year old vehicles, but the ones that I would have wanted, Telsa, Polestar were still too expensive. 

Maybe the price on the beautiful Porsche Taycan might become a bit more achievable.

16 minutes ago, Turtleish said:

The porsche ev that crashed on mountain around TT time is still waiting to be repaired,  as Jackson's can't ship off island.. 

It's written off, it needs taken off the island for dismantling and recovery of any reusable parts and disposal of the battery. 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Thank you, Max, for the valuable information.  Your post has helped me make a sensible choice.  I'm keeping my lovely ECO car and buying a Hermes bag instead :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Thank you, Max, for the valuable information.  Your post has helped me make a sensible choice.  I'm keeping my lovely ECO car and buying a Hermes bag instead :D

Good choice. Look after the bag, and the value will only ever increase. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Are hybrids treated the same way for insurance does anyone know as thinking I may buy one early next year to replace my old diesel?

I got one a few years ago and it was more expensive to insure than my old diesel, but it did reduce for a couple of years until the general hike everyone seems to have had this year. I will say this - it’s been a dream to maintain, the only thing that’s it’s ever needed replacing is tyres. Compare that to cam belts, particle filters and whatever else I was forking out for each year with my (admittedly quite old) diesel. That and much cheaper tax. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I got one a few years ago and it was more expensive to insure than my old diesel, but it did reduce for a couple of years until the general hike everyone seems to have had this year. I will say this - it’s been a dream to maintain, the only thing that’s it’s ever needed replacing is tyres. Compare that to cam belts, particle filters and whatever else I was forking out for each year with my (admittedly quite old) diesel. That and much cheaper tax. 

Yes, and it's proven technology. Toyota mastered it with the Prius and have rolled it out through their ranges. The Porsche Hybrid is manufactured under licence from Toyota and is very effective. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

That is more a new verses old comparison. Cam belts, etc are replaced after a lot of miles / many years of driving. Many cars don’t have them. Particulate filters need replacing if a diesel vehicle is not driven as designed. However, many standard service consumables such as cabin filters, lamps, screenwash, wipers, etc will still need replacing. Oil, oil filter and air filter obviously don’t. Brake pads and discs, and tyres are likely to be changed more often on an EV, as they are generally heavier. This will also affect suspension, ball joints, tie rods more significantly in the future. So basically, long term maintenance is likely to cost at least as much, assuming the lithium cells last long enough for the car’s mechanical components to wear out. Once the cells goes, it is likely an economic write off. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

That is more a new verses old comparison. Cam belts, etc are replaced after a lot of miles / many years of driving. Many cars don’t have them. Particulate filters need replacing if a diesel vehicle is not driven as designed. However, many standard service consumables such as cabin filters, lamps, screenwash, wipers, etc will still need replacing. Oil, oil filter and air filter obviously don’t. Brake pads and discs, and tyres are likely to be changed more often on an EV, as they are generally heavier. This will also affect suspension, ball joints, tie rods more significantly in the future. So basically, long term maintenance is likely to cost at least as much, assuming the lithium cells last long enough for the car’s mechanical components to wear out. Once the cells goes, it is likely an economic write off. 

Last time I checked, a Prius battery had fallen from £6k to £850. You can take out a battery insurance and the manufacturer was guaranteeing them for six years.

Just for context, at that time the prius had been around for twenty years, Caledonian had replaced one battery, and that had been damaged by the owner thinking he knew how to jump start a vehicle that didn't need it. He got involved with the wrong battery. His insurance paid out.

Edited by Max Power