EV Island Issues

Max Power

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Last time I checked, a Prius battery had fallen from £6k to £850. You can take out a battery insurance and the manufacturer was guaranteeing them for six years.

Just for context, at that time the prius had been around for twenty years, Caledonian had replaced one battery, and that had been damaged by the owner thinking he knew how to jump start a vehicle that didn't need it. He got involved with the wrong battery. His insurance paid out.

You story about Caledonian sounds about right. As you said, the cosy of the replacement battery was about £6K plus fitting. They generally last 8-10 years. Very few cars 8-10 years old are worth spending £7-8K on for repairs. There was a Prius at the local car auctions a couple of years ago that needed a new battery. It was in good cosmetic condition and ran well. They could not even get the £1500 reserve for it. Yes, I can understand the prius battery prices dropping like that. But again, who is going to spend £850 plus fitting (£2-2.5K) to fix a 15-20 year old car? 

11 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You story about Caledonian sounds about right. As you said, the cosy of the replacement battery was about £6K plus fitting. They generally last 8-10 years. Very few cars 8-10 years old are worth spending £7-8K on for repairs. There was a Prius at the local car auctions a couple of years ago that needed a new battery. It was in good cosmetic condition and ran well. They could not even get the £1500 reserve for it. Yes, I can understand the prius battery prices dropping like that. But again, who is going to spend £850 plus fitting (£2-2.5K) to fix a 15-20 year old car? 

Yes, very unusual that the battery needing replaced was even noticed. The car would still drive but there must have been some indication I guess.  

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, very unusual that the battery needing replaced was even noticed. The car would still drive but there must have been some indication I guess.  

i'd say the battery range would have dropped to the point of not worth bothering with

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

i'd say the battery range would have dropped to the point of not worth bothering with

The early Prius only had a range on battery power of less than a mile, it's strength was in acceleration assistance and moving away from a standstill. I'm wondering if the car was being auctioned on a misconception that the car would drive for miles under battery power?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve been quite tempted with an EV after seeing used Nissan leaf price drops recently but with electricity costs rising, VED increase and now insurance +150% it’s put me right off. I can’t see there is any incentive to owning an EV now.

I still get half price leccy for the house and service costs are lower for EVs. 

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Are hybrids treated the same way for insurance does anyone know as thinking I may buy one early next year to replace my old diesel?

Our 2017 Kia self-charging hybrid is insured through Aviva, for us both, fully-comprehensive it was around £30 dearer than the previous charges for a 2010 Ford fiesta Zetec S. Had no notification yet for an increase but I'm expecting one. Vehicle tax went from £40 up to £65 and I reckon on another disproportion rise in that to come. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kopek said:

Until you need your battery changing or your electric motors re-winding!!!

Not decrying the advance in tech, horse n cart merchants probably said the same of the ICE advance!!! but.....

Fortunately, there's 15 months of warranty left, when it gets down to 12 months it's going, to be replaced by an ICE. The yearly service charges have been between £170 and £360, the most expensive being the first service after it had stood on driveway for a year with just a monthly tick-over. Never had a mechanical fault with it. 

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, and it's proven technology. Toyota mastered it with the Prius and have rolled it out through their ranges. The Porsche Hybrid is manufactured under licence from Toyota and is very effective. 

Always wonder why hybrids are  often  considered to be fine  by those who hate EV's .. is it because that it still has a ICE engine ? 

After all hybrids still have a traction  battery which stores power in and an electric motor just like all EV's .( with all the fire risks etc that people worry about )

Remember the headline article of a Norwegian  ferry company banning  EV's on board  .. The actual article  said that even hybrids were banned which was conveniently ignored by most people..

The prius is a very reliable car but Toyota  decided to stop selling  in the UK due to lack of demand . The new Prius looks much nicer than the old version.. I think it may still be possible to get it from the Irish Market as they are planning to continue selling  it there..

I have both an EV and an ICE car .   I am  realistic about what an EV can do . Its not a practical car for everyone especially if you have to drive long distances . The technology is still very early for mass adoption and there are many drawbacks 

That's why I've kept my ICE car . But for on island use its brilliant..

I think the current  VED rate for an EV is still very low..I believe the UK plans to make it £165 or so in the next few years and I don't have any doubt that IOM will follow. Taxing on basis of weight could be an option. 

Edited by mad_manx

5 hours ago, Cambon said:

That is more a new verses old comparison. Cam belts, etc are replaced after a lot of miles / many years of driving. Many cars don’t have them. Particulate filters need replacing if a diesel vehicle is not driven as designed. However, many standard service consumables such as cabin filters, lamps, screenwash, wipers, etc will still need replacing. Oil, oil filter and air filter obviously don’t. Brake pads and discs, and tyres are likely to be changed more often on an EV, as they are generally heavier. This will also affect suspension, ball joints, tie rods more significantly in the future. So basically, long term maintenance is likely to cost at least as much, assuming the lithium cells last long enough for the car’s mechanical components to wear out. Once the cells goes, it is likely an economic write off. 

Brake pads usually last longer on most EV's as the regen does most of the job .  In fact on many EV's they do not get used and there is a risk of rust build up . 

On some cars  you can force the actual brake pads to be used by braking ( only when safe to do so ) while in neutral gear . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Until you need your battery changing or your electric motors re-winding!!!

Not decrying the advance in tech, horse n cart merchants probably said the same of the ICE advance!!! but.....

Planned obsolescence by most manufacturers means that the realistic lifespan of a modern car is maybe 15 years ( probably lesser ) before it gets too expensive to maintain 

I'm not talking about cars from over   15 or 20 years ago which are still going on fine..They were built to last .. Recent cars have all kinds of electronics on them/ reduced possibility of repair and its all parts replacement in many cases instead of being able to fix a part.

Most EV manufacturers give a warranty upto 100k miles or even more and many cars have done much more ..