EV Island Issues

Max Power

10 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve been quite tempted with an EV after seeing used Nissan leaf price drops recently but with electricity costs rising, VED increase and now insurance +150% it’s put me right off. I can’t see there is any incentive to owning an EV now.

VED is still much less than most cars and the cost of electricity v petrol/diesel means you save more than enough to cover any extra insurance.

Also it is always piss easy to get a parking space on Douglas prom.

Edited by Dave Hedgehog

19 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

VED is stilluch less than most cars and the cost of electricity v petrol/diesel means you save more than enough to cover any extra insurance.

you can only park IF you are charging too was my understanding.  ?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

you can only park IF you are charging too was my understanding.  ?

Yes . Thats the rule . But as an EV owner  it's frustrating  when I  see some people  just connect to the charging  point and leave the car for hours even when it's not charging/ finished charging..

Since its easy to figure out how long a car battery takes to charge with a 7kw charging  point ( easy to know the battery capacity per model) I've noticed that  many are parked for far longer than it takes to charge.

Almost all the time I charge at home as its much cheaper ..But this will be an issue for those without home charging  facility..

Edited by mad_manx

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I still get half price leccy for the house and service costs are lower for EVs. 

Yes that is something I’ve weighed up, but a charger installation was around £500 when I last looked, it seems MUA then install a separate meter which I assume they’ll be another fee, it’s also only for off peak electricity, handy for fridge/freezer but I wouldn’t be able to run the likes of a washing machine at night without annoying the neighbours.

Anyone buying a new EV will benefit from a service plan, things like charger installation but will be absolutely hammered with depreciation which will likely wipe off any savings initially made. In the second hand market the servicing difference between an EV and regular ICE car isn’t that much, I service my own car and the only difference would be oil, oil filter and an air filter, oil + filter costs me around £40 every 6 months, air filter was about £8 and I replace that once a year.

28 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

VED is stilluch less than most cars and the cost of electricity v petrol/diesel means you save more than enough to cover any extra insurance.

VED is the same price as my current diesel, I get 55-60mpg consistently and I rarely have any need to park on Douglas prom so again, no benefit there.

13 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Yes that is something I’ve weighed up, but a charger installation was around £500 when I last looked, it seems MUA then install a separate meter which I assume they’ll be another fee, it’s also only for off peak electricity, handy for fridge/freezer but I wouldn’t be able to run the likes of a washing machine at night without annoying the neighbours.

Anyone buying a new EV will benefit from a service plan, things like charger installation but will be absolutely hammered with depreciation which will likely wipe off any savings initially made. In the second hand market the servicing difference between an EV and regular ICE car isn’t that much, I service my own car and the only difference would be oil, oil filter and an air filter, oil + filter costs me around £40 every 6 months, air filter was about £8 and I replace that once a year.

VED is the same price as my current diesel, I get 55-60mpg consistently and I rarely have any need to park on Douglas prom so again, no benefit there.

For us it works out cheaper to drive the EV around town. The VED increase was stupid and discouraged people from buying more EVs or switching but all those government pensions have to be paid for somehow. Service is usually cheap (there’s nothing really to service) and parts last longer as brakes are hardly used thanks to regenerative braking. 

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Yes . Thats the rule . But as an EV owner  it's frustrating  when I  see some people  just connect to the charging  point and leave the car for hours even when it's not charging/ finished charging..

Since its easy to figure out how long a car battery takes to charge with a 7kw charging  point ( easy to know the battery capacity per model) I've noticed that  many are parked for far longer than it takes to charge.

Almost all the time I charge at home as its much cheaper ..But this will be an issue for those without home charging  facility..

Prom parking is limited to two hours so shouldn’t be an issue. The DOI parking bots only just got their head around the idea of EVs but there’s a grey area between having to charge while parking there and actually charging, as just plugging the cable in is currently sufficient to be seen to be charging. Not sure how many people use their 15 free minutes and then just leave it parked but I guess it will be a few. 

The ones we put into shaws brow allow for longer charging times and seem very popular. I tried to have a similar setup added to bottleneck but apparently it’s too close to the sea to be viable as the terminals would rust too quickly. It was raised in council and I’m awaiting word back on a few questions about that as MUA is using the same chargers just a few meters across the road. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

For us it works out cheaper to drive the EV around town. The VED increase was stupid and discouraged people from buying more EVs or switching but all those government pensions have to be paid for somehow. Service is usually cheap (there’s nothing really to service) and parts last longer as brakes are hardly used thanks to regenerative braking. 

i think certain EV's have their place ,  but for mainstream motorway /high mileage journeys or for heavy goods vehicles they are unsuitable at the moment.

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

i think certain EV's have their place ,  but for mainstream motorway /high mileage journeys or for heavy goods vehicles they are unsuitable at the moment.

I've done a bit of motorway driving in mine. It has a 300 mile range so no major issues encountered. You have to a bit more journey planning and hope the rapid chargers are working but all good so far.....

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I've done a bit of motorway driving in mine. It has a 300 mile range so no major issues encountered. You have to a bit more journey planning and hope the rapid chargers are working but all good so far.....

hope the chargers are working, and available when you get there ,  i wouldn't want to plan a trip based on that if timings were important.

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

hope the chargers are working, and available when you get there ,  i wouldn't want to plan a trip based on that if timings were important.

Apps like Zapmap show the status and availability of chargers so it's not as bad as I make out. I would be looking to do a charge when the battery hits about 30% or so though so I still have options. Not really massively different to long journeys with an ICE car though you don't really let the tank empty before topping up.