EV Island Issues

Max Power

19 minutes ago, loaf said:

I would agree that it is very much about the money, in the sense that oil companies have lots of it to spend on disinformation about alternatives to petroleum. Aside from that, I'm not sure what you are objecting to.

You can either believe that fossil fuels are a finite resource that is going to run out of at some point, or you don't. Your choice, but I think a clue is that we did stop making dinosaurs a while ago now.

Fossil fuels are not running out any time soon. They have nothing to do with dinosaurs. The vast majority of the reserves have not been tapped into…yet! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The UK has only one coal fire powered electric plant. Ratcliffe on Soare. And it is scheduled to close down before September 2024.

3000 of them in China and approving something like 2 new ones a week. 

• Like 1

One of my  cars is an EV.. More than any ecological Issues  I am more concerned about being held hostage by fossil fuel producing countries.. UK has the capability of being self sufficient if we can reduce the dependence on fossil fuels 

While I agree that China is burning a load of coal they are also aggressively pushing  EV technology to reduce oil usage.. 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Absolute madness led by Daphne at great expense!!

Agree...while I drive an EV I don't think  there should be any subsidy etc 

Market forces should dictate it 

At least the IOM never had a subsidy for EV cars ( UK did ) . Vehicle tax is also something that needs to go up to around the £160 mark compared to the current £65 .

23 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Agree...while I drive an EV I don't think  there should be any subsidy etc 

Market forces should dictate it 

At least the IOM never had a subsidy for EV cars ( UK did ) . Vehicle tax is also something that needs to go up to around the £160 mark compared to the current £65 .

How about we make government more efficient rather than increase tax for any cars? People pay enough as it is, EV and ICE. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Banker said:

EVs don’t pay a fair share & use the roads just as much so should go up , user pays !

EV users currently subsidise the infrastructure and take up of these vehicles over here. We pay more than our fair share. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1